Whats your best deal on a piece of MRR equipment?

Littlefoot14

Come on guys, lets hear how good of a deal you got so we can all get jealous and ask where?! :D

So what do you think your best deal is so far?

I found 2 sets of 5 unit articulated Thrall Container cars for $28 shipped and just bought them. It gave me the idea for this thread :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bachmann 4-8-4 Niagara still in the original packaging, never been run. $5 at a yard sale.

Four Athearn BB F7's (3 A's, 1 B) $40 ($10 each) from the LHS. Two incomplete MDC RS3's thrown in for kicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a ton of excellent buys on stuff for the past 15 years. One of those was 2 Atlas MP15-DC's off Ebay for $35.00 ea. Shipping was included. That was before someone told all of us that the economy was booming & the prices on EvilBay skyrocked.
Also, another deal was about 22 years ago when I traded 175 Hotwheels cars for about $3000.00 worth of new HO scale engines & cars, brand new in the boxes w/kadee's installed. There were Athearn, Atlas, Kato & Stewart engines in mostly Diesel w/a few steam. The cars were all Roundhouse, Athearn, Atlas, Con-Cor, Rivarossi & some others I can't remember.

LHS has had a couple on consignment that I almost couldn't pass up, like an unpainted PFM NYC 4-8-2 "Mohawk" for $125. When iwas there 3 days ago I almosthad to switch prototypes from CRI&P to D&RGW when in the same consignment shelf they had a minty minty Athearn or Proto 1000 (I forget which) Challenger in Rio Grande livery for $175. Very temptng, but ordered a light mike from BLI instead.

Cheesy one here but in about 3 years' time, you can bet this one will be something special... 13.00 for a Walthers 64' plastics N.S.C. hopper, (now an equivalent would go at 30.00) watch them skyrocket to 40.00 for a start then soon enough, 60.00 :mad: :eek:

I actually have 2. One was a purchase, and one was a gift.

My best buying "deal" was an E-bay buy. Seven (7) Westerfield car kits for $20.00! There were 5 undec. GL class hoppers, 1 N&W USRA SS box car, and 1 ACL ventilated box. The seller also threw in a Walthers RTR X-29 boxcar. Shipping was $15.00, which wasn't bad considering that they came from Australia! The entire deal was about equal to the price of just one Westerfield kit.

The best "deal" I got as a gift was from one of my club members. He gave me his Akane C&O Allegheny.:D He said he couldn't think of anyone else who would get more pleasure from it.

I have been buying alot of DCC/Sound equipped locos lately. and $100 seams to be the number.

So far I have found, all new in box never used..
BLI F7 A-B sets (A-Powered/B-dummy) for $100 shipped
BLI paragon 2 NW2 for $100 shipped
Spectrum 2-8-0 $100 + shipping

cars...
10 undec round house tank cars $10 + shipping
28 round house overton cars $16 + shipping
30 roundhouse box cars $35 + shipping

Addendum.
Seeing the prices Atlas and others have online, I think 4.49 for a yard of concrete flex track is excellent too. I heard from an employee at the LHS that the price for that has gone up.

Spectrum 2-8-0, no sound for $74 shipped. Now that they offer this particular loco as a non spectrum unit, my deal may not be as good. Oh well, I bought it four years ago.

My answer to the question may come across as a bit cheeky, but I honestly think my best deals were the ones where kind individuals, two of whom reside here on this forum, offered to send me items when I expressed a lack of them. In turn, I have passed on some items to others who have expressed frustration finding highly desired models. Everyone wins this way. I get to feel good receiving items for nothing, and I have felt great 'paying it forward' when I saw the chance.

No better 'deal' than that. ;)

-Crandell

I think the best deal I ever got was from a hobby shop in LA that was going out of business. This was back in 1972. It was a good shop, run by a nice guy, but the owner was getting older and the shop didn't sell. I was helping him move the leftovers on the last day. As I was leaving, he gave me a box full of stuff and thanked me for my help. I almost fell over when I got home and opened it up. About 50 Athearn BB cars and locomotives, including a set of Black Widow SD-7s that he had detailed out with the big ashcan Mars lights. I had always admired those when he ran them on our club layout, and I guess he thought I should have them. He passed away about a year later. :( This was Crane's Trains and Hobbies in La Puente, for anyone else who goes as far back as me and lived in LA. If you have some old MR's or MRC's, you'll see his ad in the back of the magazine.

Wow, some great deals have been had here to be sure!
I picked up some sound equipped locos from different shops overseas cheap, $100 being the average.
However, nothing will ever top this deal, a 1/1 scale locomotive for $1.00!
It was land locked with another unit after the tracks had been torn up and the owners had hauled one away already for a very hefty sum. (cranes run $500 /hr and up with a minimum!)
Luckily I get things done much much cheaper. :)

Here's one I had forgotten about. A Presidents special Canadian National T2-a, FREE! Included track, rolling stock and power pack as well.

Back