What would you Do? (eBay locos)

Last month I picked up a very nice CNW passenger car set at the Wheaton Ill train show.

I found a very nice LOOKING ConCor DL-109a loco & dummy A, in the CNW scheme on Ebay.

The seller, peggyg3460 (also used name of Dennis in one eMail) had claimed "RANS GOOD". ConCor diesels rarely do not run very good (or don't run in my experience). It ran very jerky and nothing like I ever experienced with any running ConCor. I eMailed the seller questioning if thye actually test ran this loco. (my note; it would be easy to assume (w/o testing) it ran well just being a ConCor and looked NEW). The seller emailed me and assured me they actually test ran it and it was good. The was no evidence of shipping damage or even the box had been dropped etc. It was well packed.

The problem seemed to be one or both trucks, so, I swapped trucks with an old PA-1. That cleared up most of the problem. Next I looked and played with the problem trucks and found that there was one spot on the main truck gear that would catch and bind, that explained the jerkiness. It took a bit of time and effort but I finally found a piece of plastic/nylon gear partly filling the void between 2 teeth. One truck and TWO fragments in one spot. These bits were solidly attached to the gear, I guess a molding issue or failure to clean it up before being assembled. I was going to just swap the main gears with one from the old PA-1 (made in Japan), but the center pins (new?? made in China) did not have the same diameter so not interchangeable. I had to take a sharp Xacto blade to cut the flash/bits out and clear the gear.
After that it ran better but still not right despite the jerkiness being fixed. I found 2 thin plastic shims in the motor section and removal of them again made it run even better, & acceptable, just not typical ConCor.

This specific loco could never have "RANS GOOD" (seller used CAPS) it was defective from its day of MFG. IN my eMails to the seller I gave them an out that maybe they simply over-looked test running this one. The seller assured me otherwise. Bottom line is they either had NO CLUE how a N scale loco runs (even a cheapo Yugo made) or they lied about it, I do not know.

I filed a not as described case and the seller offered to take back the NOW REPAIRED loco with me eating the time, effort and return shipping cost. I put hours into finding and fixing the problems, more than it's worth (my fault). Since I would again be looking for a CNW DL-109, if I returned it, some else might buy it then put it back on eBay and I could end up with the same defective loco yet again. At least that was my personal logic.

I left honest and fair neg-feedback. The seller was NOT happy, but others should be made aware their claim of testing and "RANS GOOD" is a crap shoot at best, it might and might not run good, if at all. I think potential buyers should be aware. The loco I got was made in China, not Japan, so that may be part of the reason/problem.

Here is what the seller wants (demands?) I return the locos, pwr & dummy, at MY cost and eat the time, trouble/work I put into repairing it, plus withdraw my honest & fair feedback & and CLOSE the case. I did get a pair of very nice NEW shells, was able to repair the loco so its useable, just out more money and work than I should have. BTW after fixing the loco I installed Dgitrax DCC in it. IT now runs good enough for my needs and looks great with my cars.

I am inclined to just let the case time out, leave the fair neg-feedback in place to protect others.

What do YOU think?

JD

Leave the feedback as is and chalk it up to experience is what I have done. Or you can always file with E-bay for mediation which is time consuming and sometimes not worth it but at least you may get your purchase price back. I have bought Loco's on e-bay and have been burned. I don't sell locos on e-bay because of situations like this. I usually sell stuff I don't like anymore at train shows.
Thanks
Wayne

This is a tough situation.

First off, "RANS GOOD" would've been my first clue. I'm not the greatest speller, but glaring mistakes like that are an indication of a lack of attention to detail. Once is no big deal, but repeated, glaring, spelling mistakes are my clue to bow out.

Secondly, I always assume that used engines are in worse condition than listed. I had an older gentlemen at a hobby show mention to me one time "Just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean it will work today."

I don't get too worked up unless it was literally thrown in a box with no packing material and shipped. In that case, the seller blamed the post office. I don't think so pal.

Lastly, I always contact the seller before giving negative feedback. As a seller, I also expect the same in return. In the case above of the packing material, the seller argued in one e-mail and sent me a full refund an hour later. Even if things don't go the way they should, you can at least find something positive to provide feedback with. If the seller makes no attempt to right the situation then that is cause for negative feedback and a case with EBay.

I guess I go to ebay with the notion that everyone is not like me (honest and straightforward, someone here called me a "foamer?").

(I thought they meant farmer, which would have been correct, but they were being funny.)

Check out my experience with the locomotive advertised as new with buildup of gunk on the wheels. I cleaned them and chalked it up to experience. The thread is "cleaning locomotive wheels":

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?32823-Cleaning-locomotive-wheels

lasm

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the time and money you've put in, if it runs to your satidfaction now, I think I'd keep it.........there's no guarantee the next one will be any better. And you can save up for one of the new Kato locos due out before too long in C&NW.

Thanx guys..........

I guess I wanted one TOO BAD for starters. When I read "RANS GOOD" the first thing that came to mind was ya RAN (past-tense), but the seller assured me they test ran it for auction. I took it apart thinking some foreign matter must have gotten into the gears between his/her test run and my getting it. When I acquire a loco I lube them so no big deal. Maybe that is why my 30yr old B-man E60 still runs.

BTW ALL their loco auctions have "RANS GOOD" in the description. They are a power seller and FleaBay protects power sellers (read CA$H COW$) from less than ideal FB.

Not all EBay sellers are bad, there are some very good honest sellers on flea-bay as well. One is a seller who post invalid tracking numbers to claim it shipped quickly (false) then later, (days or even a week) a valid tracking number. His products have been great, so I tolerate this one flake.

JD

The seller, peggyg3460 (also used name of Dennis in one eMail)
I think I know that seller. Don't think I have ever actually purchased anything from them. At one time (long time ago) they had re-listed and re-listed a set of Walther's Hiawatha cars for $229? or so. I finally decided to buy them. Suddenly the auction disappeared, only to be listed at $249. This just happened the other day too it was an Atlas set with the little made in China Burlington S2. The set is now in its 3rd re-listing. Each time at a higher price. All I can figure is the plan is to get the prices worked into the "value point" type sites making them seem like they are more in demand than they are??!? Maybe. Or now they can put it on "Sale" for back to the original price. If they really wanted to sell it one would think the price would be going down.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190940169990

Last edited by a moderator:
TRICKS they can be anywhere & everywhere......

One time I was at a Michigan train show buying a couple cars. Another guy came up and bought the guy out (already had mine). I saw him later, same show selling them for/asking 4-5 times the money. Another time our local club put a show on, went well overall.

We and one member who had a table, near our club front and was not happy. He was trying to get more than most people would normally pay. Another seller (not a club member) was selling them for about half and doing a fair business. Our greedy club member decided to buy the other seller out. In the end out greedy club member was NOT a happy camper! HE got stuck with tons of extra goods most of what he brought with him PLUS ALL the other stuff he could not sell for more he got from the other vendor.

I looked at your auction link, YEP that's the seller. Your link shows a $165 +$25 s/h.

I have another loco I bought from another vendor a Santa Fe PA-1 (untested). Looked new & claimed it was in "original" box. The box was ConCor/ Kato Pa1, & even had micro-trains couplers visible. I knew this one was a gamble, untested. The shells on both the Pa1 & pab units were like NEW as in the photo. When it did not run at all, I opened it up and BINGO, the guts were not Kato at all, a very very old FRIED, completely SIEZED Sekisui.

I bought it via an offer. I based my offer on it being a KATO chassis/drive, MT couplers and NEW looking shell.
I emailed him about it, no word back yet, doubt I will.

Bottom line, I got BURNED TWICE in about a weeks time largely due to LIES by sellers. (partly my own fault), but blatant lies in auctions P*** me more than anything else.

First of all I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

If it were me I would ask the seller for a partial refund. If they make a concession on the price then I would retract the negative feedback. They should at least be willing to refund the shipping cost. They will eat that if you send it back and you should not have to pay to return something that was not as described.

If you should have a future case I recommend you withhold your feedback until the case is resolved. There is no good going to come from causing hard feelings when you are trying to negotiate a fair settlement.

Good luck to you.

Hi Louis...

Sounds nice but here is a rub of mine. If feedback is NOT reasonably truthful / honest, then what good is FB?

Asking for a partial refund would be fair, but it smacks of a bribe in return for removal /avoidance of neg FB.

I tried to work with the seller before leaving FB. It was only after I left it that the seller responded.

The other bum deal where the like new PA-1 & PB1 w/micro-trains couplers & in a ConCor/Kato box, claimed it was the "original" box had the guts of a very very fried/seized sekisui instead. I bought it as is, but I feel I was deceived by their claim it was in its original box..no way!

Here is the description text:
These little N Gauge pieces are in Very Good Condition. They look to have barely been run at all but we've graded them C6. The locos have not been tested -we will revise the listing when we have! Until then, they shall be sold AS IS.
This lot consists of the following:
1) One 2002 Con-Cor N Gauge PA-1 Diesel Loco
2) One 2042 Con- Cor Santa Fe Passenger Dummy PB-1 Unit
All have original boxes with inserts.
Great for the operator or collector!

This latter seller is; train-station.com eBay store, anyone here ever deal with or know about them?.

I have a few eBay sellers I have dealt with that have been good and great. Its not fair to the better ebay sellers if the scumbags are allowed to get away with lies & deception.

I see your point and I agree with you.

A seller that won't even try to work with you is the worst of all!

One good thing is the free market will catch up with them. Word of mouth is unstoppable.

I have made a note of this seller and I won't bother to bid on anything they offer and I would venture to guess that you and I are not the only customers they have lost.

UPDATE.......

train-station.com called me (missed call), & I called them back . He offered a partial refund & I accepted his offer. He seemed nice on the phone, said they buy lots of used collections and do not have the time to check them. I still think he could have at least taken it out of the box and a simple look (at the underside) was a dead give-away the guts did not match the box or new looking shell.

Six of one, half dozen of the other? He did not respond to my first email, so I sent a second noting I would act upon the situation. One being honest FB (neg in this instance). Let's face it things happen, and when they do what counts is the response to it. I simply asked him if the situation was reversed, what would he consider fair? He offered what seemed reasonable so I accepted his offer.

The other seller, the DL-109 is a whole nutter story.......

JD

"Sekisui" is the origonal name of KATO.The name was changed in the early 1990's or even before that.so my guess would be it was probaly run to death with little or no maintinance.

{"Sekisui" is the original name of KATO}, I read that somewhere before. I agree it probably ran good decades ago and most likely heavily used, before it died. There is some similarity in the chassis, but they are not interchangeable. The concor bodies are fully interchangeable as well as the trucks.

I got another email from the DL-109 seller that lied about it "RUNS GOOD". He (uses Dennis, ebay seller name Peggy***) demands I return the REPAIRD and now running loco at MY expense and close the case. He also said to me and I quote "then you have to do what e-bay wants.dennis".

The person Peggy***?/Dennis?... ebay has NOT told me I HAD to do anything, yet. He keeps offering the same unacceptable solution. I bought this loco expecting it to RUN (reasonably) good. I not only paid $70 (almost the price of a brand new loco but the auction did included a dummy) + S/H ($10 more than I paid for F40PH KATO brand new at NMRA in Atlanta. My main grief is the blatant LIE about even test running it. Not with the mfg defect gear problem, NO WAY.

Now that its repaired its worth about $70. I put hours tearing it down and trouble shooting the problems.

Finding the binding points and what was causing it took me more than a few minutes time. The repair was not hard but delicate to do w/o damaging the gear. It was not easy for my old eyes to find 2 tiny black shards on a black gear. I was looking for a foreign or broken bit, not a part of the gear molding itself to be the problem.

This is a new situation for me, (& I have been on ebay for a many years) not sure what he means by I have to do whatever ebay demands. For one thing I WILL NOT remove my NEG feedback, it was honest and accurate. Nor am I going to incur extra expense to ship it back on top of my trouble shooting & work to fix it.

In the mean time I am doing nothing.

JD

Ebay won't tell you anything. They actually hope that you'll work it out without them getting involved. (Ask me how I know.) If you opened a case with E-bay, close it, keep the engines and leave the feedback as is. If he keeps complaining about it you can go in and leave even more neg feedback about his harassment. He might be a power seller, but a power seller can't have much neg feedback to keep that rating.

You bought it, he can't demand that you return it. He is an idiot.

Tell him to leave you alone, you want no further dealings with him of any kind.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

First of all I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

If it were me I would ask the seller for a partial refund. If they make a concession on the price then I would retract the negative feedback. They should at least be willing to refund the shipping cost. They will eat that if you send it back and you should not have to pay to return something that was not as described.

If you should have a future case I recommend you withhold your feedback until the case is resolved. There is no good going to come from causing hard feelings when you are trying to negotiate a fair settlement.

Good luck to you.

Do NOT threaten to leave negative feedback. Do not even mention feedback at all. eBay will nail you for feedback extortion if you do! Just deal with the seller, and if the seller gives you unsatisfactory solutions, suggest your own. If they seller refuses, then leave the feedback.

I've bought items from the aforementioned seller before and never had a problem with them.

Do NOT threaten to leave negative feedback. Do not even mention feedback at all. eBay will nail you for feedback extortion if you do! Just deal with the seller, and if the seller gives you unsatisfactory solutions, suggest your own. If they seller refuses, then leave the feedback.

I've bought items from the aforementioned seller before and never had a problem with them.

Excellent point!

Back