What kind of coupler do you like?

sushob said:
I like what I see, but I can't get my hands on any! :mad: Last time I was at their site it said they were completely out of everything. It looks like they have them back in stock now though (?). Where did you get yours? Is ordering directly from them the only way to get them?

I ordered mine direct, they're awsome, I gotta order more. Frank is cool too, the post office lost my package, so he went ahead and sent me another package.

For most of my freight cars, I've used Kadee #5's, though I also like the Accurail Accumate couplers. Of the plastic couplers I've tried, these seem to be about the sturdiest (they don't need a knuckle spring because of the way they're constructed). They also make an Accumate "Proto" coupler that is more correctly scaled than the standard Accumate. I have also used a few of the McHenry couplers for my IHC passenger cars, because they are a very easy replacement. If/when they break, however, I may consider going to something else.

I generally use Kadee #5 couplers. But I also have some of the newer 'coil spring' McHenry couplers. These couplers are vastly different that the original McHenry design. Besides getting rid of the 'living spring' for the knuckle, they appear to have changed the plastic as it is not as brittle as the original McHenry design. I consider the new McHenry to be just as good as the basic Kadee(unless you have a need to pull 50+ car trains). The problem is that I can get 'bulk packs' fo Kadee #5's at a good discount at train shows, so I rarely bother to look at the McHenry couplers unless I am looking for a special mounting(and yes McHenry does have a good assortment of offset shanks too).
I have purged all of my original McHenry couplers(I think) - I just replace them when they fail. I still have some of the Accurail couplers(oversize, but seem to work great) and will replace them if they ever fail.

Jim Bernier

My friend sent me a photo of his new Seageants. I gotta get me some of these!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuppers that is!

http://user.icx.net/~sergent/ is the website. I foud thelink in an MR a few years back. If there is enough demand, they will supposedly make tightlocks as well :) They even got rotary couplers for use on Chip cars and hopper. Now if only I had a use for them :rolleyes:

NWR #200 said:
EDIT: I blew up the photo to see the couplers better in my second to last post.
One thing though, the center friction spring is annoying to put in, but they're beautiful! I love them to death and I only have enough for 5 peices of equipment!

I'm curently having mostly horn hook and come Kadee #5 couplers. As I don't want to have two different train systems per each coupler, I want to standardize on one of them.

Kadee #5's seem ok, http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/380-10
but how hard/easy will they be to put into my IHC rolling stock?

The same goes for the horn hook package http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-3011
how hard would it be to replace the Kadee ones with it?

Surely it breaks, but so its cost makes it easy to replace and it's not that unreliable.

About a week ago I ran a train where I coupler Kadee's and horn hook - so that is possible! But it will make a very tight connection, provoking many derailments (although if you set them right, it can be avoided) and general uncoupling during switching...

Russian said:
I'm curently having mostly horn hook and come Kadee #5 couplers. As I don't want to have two different train systems per each coupler, I want to standardize on one of them.

Kadee #5's seem ok, http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/380-10
but how hard/easy will they be to put into my IHC rolling stock?

The same goes for the horn hook package http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-3011
how hard would it be to replace the Kadee ones with it?

Surely it breaks, but so its cost makes it easy to replace and it's not that unreliable.

I'D GO WITH THE KNUCKLE COUPLERS MYSELF, & GET RID OF THE HORN HOOKS, BUT THAT'S JUST ME, YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO:):):). ALSO, DOESN'T IHC USE "MAGIC MATE" COUPLERS THAT ARE COMPATIBLE WITH BOTH HORN HOOKS & KNUCKLE COUPLERS ON THEIR STUFF???

RUSSIAN said:
About a week ago I ran a train where I coupler Kadee's and horn hook - so that is possible! But it will make a very tight connection, provoking many derailments (although if you set them right, it can be avoided) and general uncoupling during switching...

I am currently using KD 5's,58's and the Mchenry scale coupler..I am slowly coverting the cars I use at home with scale couplers.My club cars will use #5's.

i like the KD 58 real close to scale except the knuckle its too big so i can mate with other KD couplers. ive gone with Sergent Engineering couplers and i dont think i wanna go back. yeah the center tention spring is a pain to install but well worth the effort...ive found out that you can couple on even the tightest curves your equipment will take if they are positioned right.

Back