What is DCC?

mowman24

I am in he process of building a 3 footx15 foot layout which I want to use 3 locos on on at least 2 different tracks. Here is the deal, 2 engines are real old post war models, but one is only about 15 years old. It is a K Line 0 4 0 switch, with tender That I bought new. At the time, it had all the bells and whistles, or I thought so, but never used anything but the basic forward/reverse and whistle. Well the rail sounds worked also. According to the box it is equipped for DCC also. It has maybe 1 or 2 hours on it, and has been on display or in storage for the lsat 10 years. Now I would like to know what the DCC actually will let it do. I am totally clueless on any train electronics. I can barely turn on and type on this desktop Apple computer. Don't have a ;laptop or anything portable, so if I need something like that to use the DCC, I just won't. Also only have a basic, NON SMARTphone. SO WHAT DO I NEED TO USE DCC?? I assume I need to buy something, but need to know what.
I NEED HELP PLEASE.
PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Last edited:
If I have to, I will lay out with 3 separate circuits. But was hoping to be able to use the switch on any of the circuits. But like I said I am totally illiterate on layout wiring. Hope I can figure out the wiring for the electric switches.

Doing some quick research, your K-Line 0-4-0 Switcher more than likely has Lionel's TrainMaster Command Control (TMCC). Similar to DCC, but maybe not totally the same. In addition to simple conventional transformer control, I'm guessing! that a Lionel Universal Remote (Like This) might be able to control your loco (need to verify with more research), and if so would be your most affordable option by a long shot. You would have to run this loco on a separate loop (or insulated loop) than the other, because you have to set the transformer to full throttle at 18 volts in order to use the remote to run the train. Your standard postwar trains will fly off the track at full throttle, of course. :eek: Not good.

Otherwise, I'd recommend just simply running your K-Line Switcher on conventional power along with your postwar locos and not worry about it.
Unfortunately, I have had no experience yet with TMCC, so I can't truly guarantee anything I've stated here is absolutely correct.

It is a K Line 0 4 0 switch, with tender That I bought new. At the time, it had all the bells and whistles, or I thought so, but never used anything but the basic forward/reverse and whistle. Well the rail sounds worked also. According to the box it is equipped for DCC also.
You mean like this one? Does yours have the "Lionel" logo on it as in the picture on the upper right? Are you sure it does not say TMCC rather than DCC? You say "At the time", back then what controller did you use for it? Is it 2-rail or 3-rail track? We can help figure it out, we just need some more information.
1709706554970.jpeg

DCC stands for Digital Command Control. It basically allows one to run multiple trains on a single track without electrical blocks and monster control panels. It has been the "standard" command control protocol since 1993 for formerly DC type locomotives. Usually O-gauge trains do not use DCC, so that is why we are not giving you a straight answer. We don't want to give you the wrong answer.

EDIT! - I found this photo. Does your loco look like this on the bottom side? This one is a three rail loco.
1709708222777.jpeg

Last edited:
Another basic point not mentioned is that the postwar pieces run on ac power while the newer Kline runs on dc. Which means they can not cross tracks. The postwar can’t be equipped with DCC. Or TMCC. Both the way they are made and the different power sources. The dcc will have to remain isolated from the dc and ac tracks as well.

Back