well it looks like things are happening

It would be nice to see a Big Boy back on the rails. I have heard so many different stories on this that you can't figure out what is going on. As a kid I got to ride on a Northern Pacific Z-5 Yellowstone before they scrapped them. These massive locomotives are something to see. Never did see a Big Boy except on display and in videos.

Interesting, I honestly was starting to think that the big boy project was dying since it has been 3-4 months since the talk started and no news since.

I am also suprised that 5511 wasn't sent to the muesem. I cannot believe that UP is planning to ever run that loco again since its a slow drag loco. I suppose it may not have been on the table, or the muesem may not have wanted it.

Every museam wants steam. UP doesnt want to give it. .
Why do they want too hold on to it if they arent going to run it?

And there are wyes everywhere now.
yeah but most of them aren't big enough for even the 844. I remember seeing pictures of what was left of the wye near the King Dome in Seattle when they tried to turn the 844 there (in 1988?).

It should fit in the Denver Union Station Wye. They have the 844 down here on it all the time.

if they get off their butts & finish up the 3985 up while they are getting ready to bring the big boy in & so they can both show up at denver union station

If you've not used Bing Maps, I recommend them. Not every place has this feature, but for many areas they have what they call "Bird's Eye View". Bing will show aerial photographs taken at an angle -- you can see things from a "bird's eye view". And you can rotate around at 90-degree increments; view from the north, east, south and west. It's really pretty neat!

Hopefully, I've got this link right...

Turntable in Cheyenne, WY

The zoom and rotation controls will be in the upper-left-hand corner.

You can also switch to a more-traditional aerial view; this is what you'll see if the "Birds Eye View" is not available.

I can literally spend hours zooming around railroads!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Back