Welcome MRR.com refugees!

Rotorranch

MRR Refugee

WELCOME
trainwreck.gif

Welcome to all the trains.com refugees who've gotten locked out!

Hope y'all will stay around!

Rotor

Isn't that funny. Last time this happened, the ARG guys showed up! Glad that they stuck around, and I hope anyone who shows up now, sticks around.

Isn't that funny. Last time this happened, the ARG guys showed up! Glad that they stuck around, and I hope anyone who shows up now, sticks around.

Josh...who are AMG guys? :confused:

Should I be afraid? :eek:

uh oh, the black helicopters are hovering over my house.

images.jpg

Rotor

ARG, Alabama Rail Gang (that's correct right?, CJ, Rex, Grandeman?)

That clears up my question Josh! :cool:

I can relax now...ARG sounded like some covert government agency! :eek:

Hmmm....come to think of it, it may be the Alabama Mafia! :D

Rotor

If you're referring to October 2005, I was part of that influx. The MR site was locked down the entire weekend of Sept 30 thru Oct 3 because of uncontrollable flame wars [sound familiar?]. Terry Thomas [then-editor of MR] had hinted earlier that Friday afternoon that if the flaming didn't stop, they [Kalmbach] might have to take some "drastic measures" - possibly including permanently closing down all the MR forums! Then ~3 hours later, all the MR-related forums were locked-down, i.e., read-only, with no advance explanation. I, like many others, didn't have a clue as to why this was done or what their future intentions were. So I accepted the Grande Man's invitation to come over here with many others from "across the street". I stayed, but 80% of the others went back the MR forum after it was quietly reopened the following Monday afternoon.

What 'cemented' my decision to make this my 'home' forum was some snotty replies from members across the street when I wondered why Kalmbach didn't explain why the forum had been locked-down. They essentially said "Kalmbach owns the forum, its none of your business and they can do whatever they want." This really p****d me off and I stayed away for a week, until I started missing some of my friends there and went back.

This time is different - they're doing routine maintenance on the login server. Bergie announced it a few hours ahead of time and advised people to get logged-on so they could enjoy some of the benefits [for just this weekend] that only MR subscribers usually get.

What I can't understand,is that we are suppose to be talking trains on these forums,like the MR forums and they all get into a flaming war and shouting match,and the discussion of model trains gets lost.That's what a forum is suppose to be,talking about model trains,or the real trains,not getting off topic or in a shouting match,or a flaming war,where the topic at hand gets lost.At least here,the topic of trains rather it be model trains or real trains is discussed and the there is no shouting matches or flame war,just a bunch of nice friendly people willing to lend a helping hand when needed.That's what's nice about these forums,and I feel right at home here.

I guess I was a latecomer as part of the ARG but I'm proud to be grouped with such fine fellows. Steve, one of the problems across the street is that they have 40,000 members. Imagine a town of 40,000 with no police force, or a police force that only has a couple of cops. That has always been their problem and, although it has improved somewhat, things can still get out of hand before a moderator can get a handle on it. I think most of the folks here have self selected based on their dislike of flame wars. The few that show up looking for a fight are quickly shown the door. It's hard to find civil places on the internet but this is one of them.

I'll say from experience at another forum (a car club/group) that moderating an out-of-hand thread is almost impossible. You always have two sides with different opinions. I had two young 'uns going at it over which guy modded his BMW better and it got personal. I decided to give warnings to the one guy who started it and got flamed for not just banning him. So then we banned him and the other guy to "fix" the problem, and got flamed for not "giving them a chance". Sometimes when you are juggling e-thugs and the rest of the peanut gallery piles on, you are fighting a loosing battle.

Respect is the key and we got it in spades here.

Mark

This moron shows up every couple of weeks. Just use the "Report Post" button in the upper right hand corner of the post and turn him in. The mods will whack him right quick. :)

This moron shows up every couple of weeks. Just use the "Report Post" button in the upper right hand corner of the post and turn him in. The mods will whack him right quick. :)

So that's what keeps happening to me!:eek: That would explain a lot!;) ;)

Back