Weekly Photo Fun 8-27/9-2

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
P1011347.jpg

Trees in photo

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. Just wondering if you made your trees from dried Rock Crest flower. I grow them and harvest the dry flowers each fall. They make great trees. Spray them white and add some black to the trunks and you have Aspen trees. Make your folage green or yellow...

Jack Strong:eek:

Jack, I don't really know what they are. They grow here on Vancouver Island in the Pacific NW, and develop into a bush about knee high at most, most of them quite a bit shorter, and there are many small yellow florets that turn brown as the summer ends. I just trimmed them a bit and sprayed the brown florets with green paint. and then sprinkled with fine ground foam. I have been told that combining two or more, interweaving the branches, and wrapping the stems with florist's tape, and then painting the tape to look like bark, is a better product.

-Crandell

Trees

Crandell, Sounds like rockcrest to me. I think they are about the best thing to make trees from. I like the idea about combining two of them together. You can also cover a large area with these and use poly fiber, spray with hair spray and then cover with your favorite foliage. Rock Crest has several different colors of blooms

Jack Strong Star, Idaho:eek:

Question, I like the weathering on your tracks, what do you use to get the rusted effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing the plant you are referring to is sedum. If not, then it is a close cousin. Nice picture Crandell, by the way.

I'll spare you the boredom of sharing pictures of my ballasting efforts.:D

Jack and Corey, thanks for the kind remarks. :)

Yes, I would think Sedum might just be it.

Jack, I used Floquil's "Rust", an oil-based paint. In case you are interested, it really needs two coats, and the bottle needs a really determined stirring and shaking to get the paint to a uniform density. In fact, this paint could almost do well painted over a brown undercoat. I found it thin and metallic, showing the nickel silver rails readily underneath it, but a second coat being more careful about the mixing really helped.

Out on my mains, and in the yard, I used PolyScale "Railroad Tie Brown". I have heard, and feel with my own experience, that it too often comes out greenish, and not at all brown. Some guys prefer "Roof Brown", and I intend to try that at some point.

-Crandell

Weathered Rail

Crandell, thanks for the info I will give it a go. Oh and by the way, I also grow lots of sedum and I have neve seen it grow knee high so I have to stick with the Rock Crest but to each their own. Your trees and ideas are great!:eek:

Jack from Star, Idaho

I'm playing around with one of those fake credit cards you get in the mail, the ones that change pictures when viewed from diferent angles.
It doesn't really fit where it is but if I like it I'll make another billboard for it, or wait for another card from a company I like... :p

I'm playing around with one of those fake credit cards you get in the mail, the ones that change pictures when viewed from diferent angles.
It doesn't really fit where it is but if I like it I'll make another billboard for it, or wait for another card from a company I like... :p
I never get any fake credit cards that nice. The ones I get just have the company logo, if that.

Just when you think you've seen all the best this forums members have to offer....You raise the bar! Nice work and creativity.

Current project is for a carnival generator from the 50's-60's. Starting point is a small Athearn trailer.

4.jpg

21.jpg

31.jpg

Although it follows most of the look of one of the prototypes, lots of freelancing involved to get the look I wanted. Still a ton of work to do including; struts for the open doors, undercarriage storage, generator and assoc. electrical conduits....etc..,

Johnny

I had posted on the wrong thread so here's another copy ;)
Consisted 2 of my Steamers this weekend

Here's my MTH Berk with new MTH Light Mikado

BerkMikadoMU1.png

MikadoConsist.png

Back