Weekly Photo Fun 5-22/5-28

Ray, those details, to my surprise (dunno why...) really make a huge difference...don't they? Your ballast looks great, too. The snake is at lower left corner.

-Crandell

One of the progress shots taken during the U30C rebuild.

DSCN1345.jpg

Hi Ray: Those details really look good. You keep raising the bar for us! It looks like that snake is making a successful retreat away from the photographer. I, too like your ballast. DJ

Crandell and GrampysTrains, thank you! I do appreciate your comments, especially coming from two people whose work I admire very much!

I went to the trains on the plains train show here in Greeley yesterday and grabbed some shots of the New York Central in operation! The New York central now has operating class lights on its DPUs now which is pretty cool!!
IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6150.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6219.jpg

I then went to see the OC&E layout in Greeley as well. The layout is huge, and is highly detailed!! Some pics that I grabbed of the layout.
IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

Very nice pictures everyone. I haven't done much with this area since my last post of pictures. I did have fun trying different settings on my camera though.

newlayout047-1.png

SHM, what a fantastic photo. It almost looks like a sepia finish. I actually had to look a second time to see that it was a model, and not the real thing.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all the Americans on the forum... Us Canucks had last Monday off, so it is back to work for me in the morning!

Jeffrey: That is truly a Frankenstein unit. Good to see Sundown doesn't let anything go to waste!

Gramps: Nice photo. I really like the look of the layered flats for the backdrop.

Selector: That's classic!

Jon: Nice kit bash. That industry looks great.

Gary: Nice photo, better forward that to the CP Police, there's a stow-a-way on board!

Ray: Beautiful photos. The scenery is great. Are those abandon ties just scenic or did you track run that way at one time? And where did you get those mile markers, or how did you paint them. The concrete effect is dead on in those photos!

James: Very nice, but a little too clean for my tastes. A little weathering and they'd be perfect!

Corey: Nice scene and camera effect. I've always liked Sepia toned images.

SecretWeapon: Furby!! The Green and silver has got to be the nicest lease paint scheme out there.

Smoke: Love the working class lights. I've done that on a couple passenger engines. The OC&E layout is quite impressive! That must have been fun to visit.

W Rumbel: That is a very bright consist. The contrasting unit in the middle is a nice touch. I'd call the EPA about that strange pink dirt though!

Here are a couple photos of my most recent project. A GP38-2W for CN. The model is a kitbashed Proto 2000, with many added details from Railflyer, Cannon, Details West and others:

CN4773-OakAuto-FAB052209.png

CN4773-WestHOJnct-FAB052209.png

CN4773-HOConnection-FAB052209.png

Hey, I can start posting some work now!:) I wanted to build a display for doing some snap shot's. Went from a piece of track on a board and to a small roundy round:rolleyes: Here's a pic of the birth of it. I'm trying to keep it simple and cheap trying reuse as much from the old layout as posible!:) I started yesterday at 1pm-and got to this point 6pm the same day:) I need some Cork road bed but no LHS are onpen today:mad: I know it's a holiday but come on! :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes: Well I can get the matterials for the back drop if I can't get to the LHS. BTW size is 26x48

Ray: Beautiful photos. The scenery is great. Are those abandon ties just scenic or did you track run that way at one time? And where did you get those mile markers, or how did you paint them. The concrete effect is dead on in those photos!

Thank You Sir! The abandoned ties are what is left from where the old tunnel used to be. It was originally hand laid code 70 track in that area of the layout. I didn't touch the layout for over 15 years and while the track was still good in that area, there was also an "S" curve created by it that my new equipment didn't like. Decided to model the abandoned area when i changed it. There is still a short length of code 70 track going into the boarded up tunnel. The "concrete" mile markers are made out of old popsickle sticks cut down to size. They were painted using 3 different colors of "spray can" paint. I used a combination of white, light gray, and dark gray primer using very light coats from about a foot back to get the effect. It occurred to me that the reason concrete paint doesn't look like concrete is that concrete is not "a" color but many colors..........

Very, very nice GP-38 BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is turning out to be a super weekend. Lots of great images shared! :)

Here is another image from me. The yard at Seneca was flooded by heavy rains and run-off for almost a week. When it finally cleared and firmed up sufficiently, the crews moved out into the yard to do assessments and to effect repairs. The first engine allowed back into the yard was this Niagara towing a commuter that had been prohibited by the flood conditions. Eager and anxious passengers are wanting to return to their homes after a forced week away.

Cs-station-yard-horizontal.png

Crandell, I can't get over how real your track and surrounding dirt look. Nothing about it looks like a model to me. Of course my eye is very untrained! Great work!

Thanks for the compliment on my photo by the way!

Corey, thanks! I have decided not to second guess Ma Nature. I figgered if she knows how to make dirt look like it does, why not just ask her for some of it. I sifted some of my quite sandy garden soil and added some Plaster of Paris. I sifted the mix all across the yard, except for the turnouts, and then I rolled it flat with a small jam jar. Then I sprayed it with a very light glue mixture. The area between the rails was stained with a medium black and burnt umber wash, and then I sprinkled WS "cinders", very tiny black grit, over the tracks.

When we get treated to photos of your works, I am always impressed by your abilities.

-Crandell

WOW!! :eek::eek::eek:

Nice going guys. Stunning indeed!!!! :)

rhoward: Fabulous!
Selector: WOW!
CP9302: WOW! Sweeeeeeeet!
And all of you guys that posted pics, you did some great modelling and pics!

Thanks for sharing.

I'm with MLW, nice work all!
I did manage a little work in the "Sacred Chamber of the Rails" but no pics, there's always next week...

CP9302 what you have done is amazing!:eek:

Talk about coincidence, I am presently kitbashing/scratchbuilding an SD40-2
for my fictious short-line the SL&C.

Started with a BLI undecorated EMD SD40-2 with sound.

I have replace the cab with a "Canadian cab" from a company that no longer makes it.
It's a pain in the butt, required lots of filing and patience (which I have in short supply)
more skills that I have, and lots of sanding.:mad:

I got the cab before I knew raylflyer did a much better one with amazing details.:mad:
I'll consider the one I am doing as a "dry run" for my next one.:p

I am recycling lots of parts from the original cab including windows and sun shades, figurines etc..

I have not painted it yet.

anyhooo. Pics later.

Cheerio

Did some more detailing on my Athearn P40/42 projects. These got more Utah pacific brass ge lift rings. Still going thru the Details West AMD103/P40/42 super detailing kit. Added the sinclair antenna and nathan K5LA. Will be adding some of the piping tomorrow. I need to get out the drill so i can make teh wholes on the frame.
And drilling out the radiator fan so i can remove the excess plastic between the blades. This is for future sound install.
IMG_0344.png

IMG_0345.png

IMG_0346.png

Back