Weekly Photo Fun 18 Jun / 24 Jun 09

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Well I guess everyone is busy this weekend so I'll kick it off. I did up a couple of Athearn BB Norfolk Southern SW1500 River Street Ramblers.

100_4085.jpg

100_4087.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend, The wife and I are out of town for the next 2 weeks on our 3,000 miles motorcycle adventure. :D

GREAT WORK SO FAR GUYS!

Jerome, those switchers are amazing. Maybe we should talk about YOU doing up some modern NYCS switchers :)

Grampys, what color did you use to paint the rails? What was your technique?

Hi mtrpls: I tried a couple of different mixtures. I think the track in that photo was a mix of rail brown with a little rust. I used a small brush.

Jerome and Gramps!!!! :D Top drawer, both of you.

I have three different images of this FA2/FB2 set that I took two weeks ago, and I am trying to keep it straight which of the three I have posted in which forum. I think this will be new here, but DJ has seen it elsewhere.

cshar.png

-Crandell

Hi Crandell, I have not only seen it, but while perusing the locos at the hobby shop in Strasburg, I came across the very same Alcos, even the same no. and wound up bringing them home. Yea! DJ.

Let no one say you are not a man of discerning tastes. :D

Truth is, though, that these were a gift to me from another MRR on our other forum shortly after I began to post. My financial circumstances were more penurious than they are at present, and he very kindly sent them to me as gesture of good will. Later, I sort of repaid him with some unused Caboose Hobbies ground throws, but his was the truly altruistic act.

-Crandell

The final layout plan for my table. Two tracks and plenty of switching will make this a good choice i think :D

ModelRailroad001.png

I know its really hard to see with all the junk in the way, i'll tryto clear the mess and get a new picture.

Sorry folks, I can't take credit for the paint jobs. Those are both from the Athearn Special Edition Sets. I added the data, warning and side sill decals and all of the detail parts. Micro-Scale doesn't even make a decal set for the River Street Rambler.

Oldie but goodie time, my Penn Line Atlantic. Darn thing is older than me! Was originally built by the Ex's grandfather, I did an overhaul on it 15 years ago and it was passed down to me after that. The thing runs great on DC, just havn't converted her over to DCC yet,,,,,,,maybe soon!

Attachments

• IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 244
A possible new project, this is the Cranberry Iron Furnace from 1890 on the "Tweetsie". It is to be built in S scale. The first pair of shots are a couple of pages of the plans, there are 6 all told. The second pair is of a mock up done in HO scale to check sizes to see if a pure S scale edition would fit on the clients layout or if we needed to compress the buildings to HO scale. I believe that S scale will win out with several of the pieces truncated into the back wall and the cast house shortened a bay or two. Piece has a completion date of August 2010 so it and the layout it is located on can be open during the St. Louis National Narrow Gauge Convention.

And a shot of the Como Church sitting next to the rest of the Como structures on another layout that is slated to be open for the 2010 convention.

BLMA TopGon came in today (along with the BLMA concrete segmental bridge, and Central Valley Steel Through girder).

Hey Grampy, is that a BLI J1e Hudson? I've had my eye on that same exact one! How is it? I've heard they're great slow runners and have an excellent sound system aboard.

Hi kwalker: Yes, it is. It's one from the first run. I'd like to tell you it runs great, but, alas I can't. The sound is good, but it has an annoying habit of forgetting its settings. It will be running along just fine, then just stops, sound continues, but won't run. I've been fiddling with it lately, reset, playing with cvs, etc. I just ordered the upgrade chip from Litchfield Station. I'm hoping it will cure its ills. DJ.

Just got back from Depot Day at Union Bridge. The old Western Maryland Depot/Museum was open, lots of yard sales in the area and tours of the Lehigh Cement plant. Maryland Midland even put one of thier newer locos on display, #305 . This unit originally was a Southern Railway Hi-hood GP38, now designated as a GP38-3AC. I see a superdetailed replica of her in my future!
I think I took about 50 pictures of her today, great reference material!

Great pictures as usual.

Gramps, I think that's first time I've ever seen one of your steamers. Looks great. I've heard of running problems with that BLI engine as you described. The upgrade seems to fix the start and stop issues.

Jerome, Athearn did a nice job on those engines and your detailing makes them look even better. Chris, I need a map to Jerome's house. :)

Crandell, those PA's look like they've been through some heavy weather.

KWalker, it is a little hard to visualize the layout with all the stuff on it but that's what layouts tend to look like when you're building. At least I don't feel so bad when mine is littered with ground foam containers and such.

Joe, nice job of blending in the building with scenery. A lot of modelers just plop the structure down and overlook those details.

Karl, nice old Penn Line engine. I really like they way you've set up the road so it curves off into a view block. I made the mistake of making my roads too straight and I regret that now. That Maryland Midland engine sure has an attractive paint scheme. Still seems weird to see locomotives without classification lights though.

Matt, your cardboard mock-ups look better than some of my real buildings. :D I really want to see that Como scene when it's complete. Should be stunning.

Josh, now that you've got one, does the BMLA model seem worth the money comared to Athearn or Atlas? I've been on the fence about getting one of those.

Chris, looks like your diorama has grown like topsy. Nice work on your fascia. I've got to do that one of these days.

Back