Weekly Fotos Fun, 03-11 Dec, 2010

hey try checking this rock company i photo shot a while ago it also has a topo view too

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18476

Thanks Alcomotive! Nice photos!

The complex on the layout will be set in 1925.... I have spent a couple hundred hours looking for photos of quarries from 1925.... Nobody seemed to take photos of them back then! Must not have considered them very, ah, photogenic I guess. I am somewhat guessing what some of the quarries might have looked like (severely compressed, BTW) based on a few write ups about them, and some earlier photos going back to the late 1800's. most of which don't really show much. This one would be just switched over to electric and starting to use them new fangled Gasoline Trucks, rather than horse drawn trams. I may put some no longer used rails in a couple places to add some.... ah, Charm. I did take some photos of a quarry near where I live to get the look of the stone piles. That would not have changed (I hope...)

HansonStone05w.png

This has turned out to be an interesting project for me.......:D

The complex on the layout will be set in 1925.... I have spent a couple hundred hours looking for photos of quarries from 1925.... Nobody seemed to take photos of them back then!

Keep a lookout for a copy of the "Pit and Quarry Handbook". Mine is from 1928 and talks extensively about processes and equipment. It also has many equipment photos and photos taken in the field... They are available if you check around online.

The quarry idea should be a great addition to your layout!

Found this Athearn RTR caboose at the LHS today. It's supposed to be the match for their Desert Storm SD40-2. Paints are a little different color, but it's still a neat set. For those interested, it's Athearn 74000 USMC Cupola Caboose #403.

100_1333.jpg
I got the same caboose. It's actually not painted to match the Union Pacific unit. In fact, the two never saw each other in that paint.

The Caboose is in a MOUT (Military Operations on Urban Terrain) training village on Camp Pendleton.

Two photos of the prototype in 1991:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2116144

I've only seen it once myself, from a distance. I have no way of getting in to check it out, since it's an active training facility.

I finally started working on my coal mine. I got the building completed last night. I'm using the Walthers Gravel Company as a coal mine, because it fits better in the space I have available near the mountain.

I still need to lay the track into the mine. And finish it up with some scenery.

Let me know how it looks so far?

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

Some forest products being hauled past the edge of a clear cut, proving the old saying 'Forests provide not only recreation, but employment'.

DSC04905.jpg

My first ACE is mostly weathered... :D:eek:

Under the macro, the specks of paint show up! :eek::eek: Oh well, from a foot or further away, you cannot see the specks, it looks like one even dusting.

In that last picture. Man there sure is a difference in the BNSF paint colors!!

No kidding huh? The comparison is slightly distorted though. I faded the ACe a bit, but it was still lighter then the T55 unit!

Maybe I'll do a photo comparison of the colors of BNSF paints. Floquil, Athearn, T55, Intermountain, Atlas, BLI, Kato, Walthers and MTH, when I get the MTH unit, and the IMRC ES44AC.

No kidding huh? The comparison is slightly distorted though. I faded the ACe a bit, but it was still lighter then the T55 unit!

Maybe I'll do a photo comparison of the colors of BNSF paints. Floquil, Athearn, T55, Intermountain, Atlas, BLI, Kato, Walthers and MTH, when I get the MTH unit, and the IMRC ES44AC.

I suppose it's just like real life engines. They all have a bit of difference in their colors. I know Uncle Pete sure does.

I suppose it's just like real life engines. They all have a bit of difference in their colors. I know Uncle Pete sure does.
Yeah, very much. BNSF has Tan & Green to Orange & black! :p Some of those older GE units faded to tan. Seems the ES44's are doing the same, sometimes. Seems to be a GE thing, not so much EMD.

Ah...... The Weekend! And of course, the start of a new Photo Fun Thread!!! Nice start Crandell and Jeffrey!

I have finally gotten to the point where I could put the Quarry back onto the layout. I did a little test fitting of some of the items that will go there. I also found that the roof on the crusher building has warped. Probably from the type of cement I used on the roofing. Even though the plastic was painted, I think it has eaten through and warped the roof... I can be easily replaced and next time I will use a different cement to hold the roofing on....... Nothing has been glued in place at this point...........
NO RAY! I think it gives the roof a "natural look", so I would leave it alone!!!!;)
________
Free vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:

Back