Weather Channel Photo contest - Train pics

KB02

In case you hadn't seen these, they are too good not to share on this forum.

vegasotherweatheranthonymair_resized.jpg

A5jfjw.JPEG

a1MwrWP_700b.jpg

I wonder what the criteria was for the contest. Photo 2 does not look real. (At least a composite, if not totally CG.)

I'd love to know where photo 3 was taken. The Great Salt Lake?

I wonder what the criteria was for the contest. Photo 2 does not look real. (At least a composite, if not totally CG.)

That was my thought as well. While an interesting image, here is just something about it that makes it look faked. Maybe its its resemblance to a scene in a sci-fi movie (I forget which one - worm hole was eating the earth?).

It does look like photo 3 is from the Great Salt Lake. I've been to the area a number of times and the mountains in the background across the lake look awfully familiar.

I believe it may be Lake Tahoe?
I recall something about an abanded railway that got flooded out, scuba divers take pictures of the rail.

I've seen clouds like that one over my house. I just didn't have the foresight to run over to the tracks and get a train in the picture.

It's just great weather/nature pictures, these three happened to involve trains, too. :)

#3 is the Great Salt lake, yes.

As for #2, I disagree with the CG. Just a great shot (Wide angle makes thing look a little funky). You should check out the guy's website. He's got some great shots!

I think the second one is from Ghostbusters and the 3rd one os from The Polar Express in the summer.

They are really cool photos and I was fist thinking the 2nd one was most fake but I bet the real one. Just hard to believe any picture any more. Like Lou Reed said, ...
"Don't believe half of what you see
and none of what you hear"

Dave

I don't know about pict 1 and three,pict #2 is real. It was not a railroad but short bit track rtunning from a boat house into The lake. From the 1920's. it is on the south shore of Lake Tahoe by Camp Richardson. In the summer it is packed but there is a beach restraunt nearby that makes great rumrunners. I lives at Tahoe for over 30 years

Back