Using Automatic Transmission Fluid for Treating Track

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I recently watched a large club cab ride video and they talked about using automatic transmission (ATF) fluid to clean and treat their track. They use the ATF very sparingly and only when they noticed some lost of electrical conductivity between the track and their locomotives. They also used the ATF after some remodeling was done in the club area.

Using ATF sounds interesting. Do you have any experience using ATF on yours or a club's layout? How were the results?

Thanks.

I have so far used lacquer thinner, on the advice of the people who make the CMX track cleaning car (brilliant by the way, that beast, but it takes a BIG heavy loco to push it by itself). I have used kerosene on the advice of the people over at MRH who published a comprehensive list of track cleaning possibilities in the way of fluids about 2017 or later. I also liberally applied ATF, Dexron II Mercon, to my rails before I demolished my second layout just for laughs. I had been using the ATF for a lube for my steamers' outer parts, and it works like a hot damn.

I'm happy to say that Dexron II and III varieties don't seem to impeded connectivity, and they also didn't seem to cause slippage under my locomotive when tried it. Since I tore it down two weeks later, I cannot speak to the durability over time.

On that list, kerosene was #1, followed by WD-40 Contact Cleaner and CRC Contact Cleaner and Protectant. That is because they are 'non-polar' fluids which are neutral and don't induce charged dust and carbon particles from arcing to adhere to the surface of the rails. They also minimize exposure to the air, so less oxidation over time. Well down the list were clipper oils and lacquer thinner, and ATF.

I don't know if that is useful, but I can say it didn't seem to hurt. I now use kerosene in my CMX car, and so far it seems to work well. I don't get the sense that the little bit of kerosene left on the rails has damaged any traction tires.

ATF is a synthetic, at least the Dexron varieties are. They are also the AFT designated for use in auto transmissions with plastic sending-unit cases, and I can assure you it is also paints safe.

Isn’t that what Rail-Zip is? It’s the same color as ATF, and smells like it, too.

When I need to (quite seldom), I use Wahl's Clipper Oil, sparingly applied and then wiped off with a clean cloth.

When I need to (quite seldom), I use Wahl's Clipper Oil, sparingly applied and then wiped off with a clean cloth.
Wahl's Clipper Oil was listed 8th on the MRH comprehensive list of track cleaners (Kerosene was the best on the list at #1).

While the clipper oil was #8 on the list, that's still not too bad. I've successfully used it myself on my N-scale layout back before the MRH list was published.

For 3-rail O-gauge however, I use mineral spirits (#7 on the list) for track cleaning. I also use a drop of Kerosene for all center roller pickup axle lubrication. Been doing this for a year now, seems to work pretty darned good.

Using ATF sounds interesting. Do you have any experience using ATF on yours or a club's layout? How were the results?
I have used it before. My club used it for a while. The advantage is that as a "cleaner" it doesn't dry the track and the film it leaves behind is electrically conductive. So the powered wheels won't arc and pit the top of the rail the way cleaners that dry the track do. The issue is that like anything that leaves a residue behind will collect dust. As long as trains are running frequently it is not an issue for the top of the rail and operations, but any on the sides of the rail will. This is why the club stopped using it. We had "fuzzy" rails.

For myself I didn't notice that as at the time I had a much cleaner environment. I just stopped using it because there are so many other things out there. Of course also at the time it still came in cardboard quart cans that were awkward to store after opened. Now with the re-seal bottles it wouldn't be any different than any other liquid.

I've used it and was happy with the results. I have now taken to using Mineral spirits and am happy with that as well. A one quart bottle of either will last the vast majority of the life span of your railroad!

Back