Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Ah, I get it now, Jim. Over here, it's the paint on the curbs (kerbs?) that tells you where the no parking zones are. Red means no parking, yellow means limited parking, like ten minutes, blue means handicapped, and no paint means parking is allowed. We have a theoretical national traffic safety standard that all states are supposed to follow but, with 50 states, some still do what they want to. California follows the national standard but Alabama has yellow curbs that mean no parking. It's taken me a while to get used to that. Using pavement markings actually makes mores sense since the curb paint is often rubbed off by tires and you have have to guess if you're allowed to park or not.
Jim, I thought Green meant limited and red=no? It's rare to see yellow out here, mostly Red, White, Green & Blue.

In MI where I grew up they used Yellow for no parking and White for limited.

Jim, I thought Green meant limited and red=no? It's rare to see yellow out here, mostly Red, White, Green & Blue.

In MI where I grew up they used Yellow for no parking and White for limited.

Up here in Orange County Cali, red is NO parking whatsoever, Yellow is used for loading and unloading only, usually for deliveries and such. And im almost positive that White is also used for loading/unloading, ive seen them both around here with the words "loading and unloading only" painted on the streets in yellow and white. Blue Is handicapped, green is limited (10-60 minute parking depending on what the sign says). In fact, ive seen white for limited parking as well at the post office and such, usually 10 minute parking....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, pull out your copy of the CVC. They should have given you one when you became an officer or there should be one in the station. You'll find that red means "No Parking", yellow indicates a loading zone, white always has a time limit up to 15 minutes painted on it, and blue means handicapped only. Green is sort of unofficial and it's usually (but not always) used to indicate some kind of limit beyond the 15 minutes of white but then it gets kind of hazy. :)

This is without question some of the finest work I've seen yet. Keep up the good work.

Thanks People!

A return to the good old retaining wall! This one will actually be at the front and visible! Makes a change! :lol:

retaining%20wall.jpg

Its in 2 parts, the upper part will need to be fixes to the road section and the lower the baseboard.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Had a few days to chip away at stuff on the layout. The following are progress so far, I left the road off so that you can see!

BNS%20progress%202nd%20july%20a.jpg

I have now got all of the platform ramps in for this end of the station and nearly all of the edges. Also made a start of the arched wall that is located on plaforms 2 and 3.

BNS%20progress%202nd%20july%20c.jpg

This is the view I get! :D

BNS%20progress%202nd%20july%20b.jpg

And this is your view.

troughs.jpg

Finally installed some of my etched troughs and started on ballasting, If I do a bit now and then its not too much of ball ache!

Cheers

Jim

Wow, Jim, that's really some puzzle work trackage you've constructed. Very nice job on the track weathering and ballasting.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work Jim!! Great job!! :D

The track work, the weathering, and the ballast job all look awesome, and the retaining wall is nothing short of fantastic either, keep it up!!

thanks guys

As I mentioned yesterday I made a start on the wall that is on platform 2/3. The following picture shows todays progress. Nearly there now!

platform%202%20wall.jpg

The non-public facing side is the most interesting due to the very large drain pipes. As this will only be seen by the operators (and even then if they can see under the bridge) I didn't go too mad. If it was public facing I'd have done brackets for the pipes but all in all, I have a good time doing this bit.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

As part of my modelling roads I need Iron work. Seems that no 2 are the same but I have produced a variety of Brummy specific ones based on Photographs at the actual location. Its pushing the camera a bit but they are legible!

Cheers

Jim

_9745.jpg

Awesome work Jim! Nice to see the progress.
You gonna hand out maps for the operators? :D

Do you get man hole covers in the US? Hatches in the road to allow access to sewers and other things? Over here our fire hydrants are under the ground and accessed through panels like this.

I draw the artwork up and a company in Scotland does the etches for me.

HTH

Jim

that's pretty nice... yea, we call 'em man hole covers over here too... but ours our round.

as a firefighter, I like the above ground hydrants... imagine one of those filling full of water and freezing... uhoh!!

does that company in Scotland ship overseas? if so, I'm sure some members might love to know more abotu 'em!!!

Actually, the politically correct term for them now is "person holes" :) I'd sure be interested in some nice US prototypes for "person holes", underground transformer vault covers, and even some realistic fire hydrants. Most of the one we have look like misshapen hunks of plastic. :D

Hi All

PPD - http://www.ppdltd.com/ produce the etches for me. I am not sure if they ship overseas but I cant see why they wouldn't

Along with my manhole covers I have also etched some of the brick arches I will need for current projects. The first is for the platform walls and the results can be seen below.

Cheers

Jim

platform%202%20wall%20b.jpg

platform%202%20wall%20c.jpg

Hi All

Another project that had stalled until I got the arches sorted out was the lower floor of the old Staff building. Happily its now ready for paint. Before anyone asks - yes that door does need a padlock!

Staff%20building%20July%2009%20b.jpg

Staff%20building%20July%2009%20a.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Back