Turning powered locos into dummys!

jbovinette

Florida Railroads
Hello all,

Got a small question for you all. I have acquired a couple Athearn GP-40's and GP-38's and they are not DCC compatible. I want to turn them into dummys. What is the process of turning a powered unit into a dummy unit. I know you must take out the motor but how bout the trucks?

Thanks,
John Bovinette
www.johnbovinette.com

Hello all,

Got a small question for you all. I have acquired a couple Athearn GP-40's and GP-38's and they are not DCC compatible. I want to turn them into dummys. What is the process of turning a powered unit into a dummy unit. I know you must take out the motor but how bout the trucks?

Thanks,
John Bovinette
www.johnbovinette.com

I turned one of my locos into a dummy. I just removed the electrical contacts, then the gears from the trucks. I left the motor in for the weight, and I didn't want to tear apart any more than I had to.

Paul O.

You have to at the least take out the worm gear and drive shaft as well.
You can leave the gears in the truck towers but they will run smoother without them.
I have a 40 that had motor woes and left the gears in for repowering later, it runs fine.
If you take the trucks out be sure to put them back in the same order or you could have a short later on.

I have acquired a couple Athearn GP-40's and GP-38's and they are not DCC compatible

Actually they are as compatible as any other loco and one of the easiest to isolate the motor from the frame.

If your just looking for dummy units then pull the gears out of the trucks and remove (but keep) the driveline parts.

I too would reccomend keeping the motor intact for the weight benefit.

If you know which end is which on a soldering iron, and a willingness to learn, then converting your RTR and blue box locos is easy.

What I do:

1) buy a TCS T1 2 function decoder and harness ($20)
2) buy a roll of kapton tape (electrical will do, but kapton is better)
3) remove shell, remove motor connector clip (the band of metal that carries the current from the trucks to the motor, remove light (completely--just break the whole arm off the frame)
4) isolate the motor by removing the motor from the frame (the newer Athearns have screw motor mounts--carefully remove the drive shafts first), solder a lead (I use the grey wire) from the above harness to the the bottom brass piece on the motor, then put a piece of kapton tape over the entire brass piece of the motor (to electrically isolate it from the frame), and reinstall the motor and motor mounts to the frame, reinstall drive shafts
5) solder the orange wire to the top brass piece on the motor--you now have connected your motor (positive and negative leads) to the harness
6) solder the red wire from the harness to the right side of your rear truck (the metal part underneath the plastic sideframe--they pop off). If you're good, you can solder the wire between the gearbox on the truck and the metal, otherwise on the outside if you can't get in there. You may have to sand down or scrape off some of the black paint to get the solder to stick. Do the same thing now with the black wire to the left side of the rear truck. You now have track power pickups installed
7) solder a piece of wire (4 inches long or so) from the top of the truck (where the motor clip was that you removed) to the top of the other truck
8) install the T1 decoder into the harness
9) keep the other wires (yellow, blue, white, purple) if you decide later you want to add lights (I recommend LEDs) and sound (by just using a regular TSU1000 decoder), replace the shell (keeping the wires away from the moving parts of the motor and drive assembly), program, and you're done. If it didn't work, you didn't get a good solder connection.

I can do one (though I'm not that good) in under an hour, as I take my time. If you run these in consist, then you won't need the lights or sound. I can't do the LEDs yet myself, so I can't help you there, but they're not hard to do if you understand electronics.

The GP38-2 and GP40-2 can't take a standard light board (like they use with their DCC ready RTR locos) because the weight for the shell is where the dynamic brakes are/would be, and the board would sit too high. A nice little oval speaker will fit behind there, in the shell, where the radiator fans are, and your sound decoder (if you choose so) will fit in the cab area. There's a lot more room in the GPs that Athearn makes since they really haven't added a lot of weight to them like the SDs.

I have mixed feelings about doing this. In principle, it is a fine idea so that you can retain the illusion of a consisted pair or more of engines. What's not to like?

Well, the weight could be quite an impediment to overall performance. It's one thing to have a fully weighted engine propel itself and be able to haul a good cut of cars, but it becomes trailing tonnage to the one or two diesels that must haul it if it is 'dead'. If you are hell-bent on doing this, and not bothering to try to convert it to something useful, you should really think seriously about ridding the item from most of its weight. So, I would be finding ways to grind out much of the frame, remove everything not needed for locomotion (motor, shafts, gear towers, idler gears, flywheel...) and making it just a special car in the consist.

-Crandell

Trey, that's a great how-to!
Crandell is right about the weight thing. I left mine "as is" simply because I plan to remotor it in the future but I would strip it right down if it were a permanent thing.
Side note to the weight thing:
A funny thing about MU'ing locos is the "combined tractive effort". If one loco can haul let's just say twenty cars, then two should be able to pull twice that, or forty cars, right? Actually we did tests some time back and found that the two together can pull more than double, let's say fifty cars due to the combined tractive effort.
There's likely someone here that can explain it better than I can.

Rico
Here's a little video to show you what IG/SOU was describing. /www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRGgjzFjDiI&feature=related
Might make things a little easier to understand.

Personally, I defer to the Tim Taylor School of Model Railroading, MORE POWER! Argh, Argh, Argh!!:D

Well, the weight could be quite an impediment to overall performance. It's one thing to have a fully weighted engine propel itself and be able to haul a good cut of cars, but it becomes trailing tonnage to the one or two diesels that must haul it if it is 'dead'. If you are hell-bent on doing this, and not bothering to try to convert it to something useful, you should really think seriously about ridding the item from most of its weight.

-Crandell

Not only that but what people tend to forget is that those blue box wheels are terrible and end up rubbing off onto the rails, It's best to replace the wheels either way powered or not.

I've changed about 10 engines over to dummies in the past year & just did another 1 today. I always remove the motor, mounts, gears, shafts & all electrical. I've always found that the frames are heavy enough w/out leaving in the motors especially if you leave the dummy at the end of a consist. If they are heavy, then whatever you have connected between it & the powered engine is going to tip or derail in your curves.
I always have metal wheels on all my dummies because they roll 100% better.

they make "plug and play" kits for making those old athearns DCC-capable...

otherwise de-powering old Athearns is very easy... pull out the motor, and pop off the worm gear housing. Remove the worm gear, and replace the housing. Bingo, you now have a dummy.

You can go a step further by disassembling the trucks and removing the gears inside.

If you wind up with a surplus of athearn motors as a result, please PM me... I can always use a few more...

I recently had a AHM C415 burn up on my track. I took out the motor, gears, worm gears and everything electrical. ( I may rehook the lights later on) It now sits idle in my oil company yard.

the "solder free" Digitrax decoder would be the DH163AT or the DH123AT.

It just clips into the top and bottom of the motor, and all else you would need to do would be to put down a strip of electrical tape under the motor...

I did it to an Athearn BB AC400. Took motor out, left towers in. Gave motor on here to a modeler who really needed a BB motor for his project. The weight that was still in the bottom of the loco was enough to give it good "grip" on the track.

I am really happy about giving the motor to another person on this board. I felt almost guilty about taking this loco apart and making it into a dummy; I was glad that I could at least give its "heart" to beat in another engine.

Thanks. I can't take credit for it, though, since it was my local DCC guy who showed me one day.

The DH1x3AT decoder and no-solder harness is ok, but I've had difficulty lately with electrical connections in my DCC ready CF7s, which use some of those same slip on conductor clips the harness uses. Anything that has pickup problems (and all three of those CF7s did) gets hardwired with solder.

Back