Trainworld exceeded my expectations today.

josephbw

I have been purchasing model RR equipment mostly from Trainworld recently due to the lower cost , fast shipping, and excellent selection. I sent in an order last night that was big enough to earn the $50 Fathers Day discount. I always send it in with the provision to cancel out of stock items. Today Bella called and said that one of my items was out of stock, and asked if I would like to substitute something so that I could still get the $50 discount. I asked her if I could call her back with a new selection, and she said sure. About 10 minutes later I called her back, she actually answered the phone, I gave her my new item number, and she thanked me, and said the order will be shipped right out. She was very friendly, efficient, and pleasant to talk to. I recieved an email from them later that my order would be here Tuesday.

I just wanted to let you guys know that Trainworld is a great place to spend your model RR money. I hear stories all the time about lousy customer service from other places, and it makes me feel good to publicly pat someone on the back for a job well done. :D:D

Edit for clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, have very good experiences with TrainWorld. I don't order that much anymore, but every now and there there will be something intriguing in their promotional email.

I have only started using Train World for my G Gauge layout and so far they have been great with me also - as good as MB Klein I think.

I have no problem with orders shipped complete by TW, but I won't order from them again. I specifically directed them to NOT ship via courier. I wanted it shipped USPS. Reason - the couriers all charge about 10% of the purchase price for 'customs brokerage.' So, in addition to the shipping, they ding the recipient another $30. The postal system does not. So, my last order, and it will be my last, cost me extra.

Glad you brought them up. Found a phenomenal price on that Bachmann EM-1 in N scale and finally took the plunge on that. Nervous about it being Bachmann, but for half the price of the Athearn articulateds I figure it's worth a shot. The only thing I don't like is their method of calculating shipping. They'd charge me less shipping for four or five big, heavy shakers of ballast than what they charged me for one tiny N-scale locomotive? I didn't think any places still calculated shipping solely based on the dollar amount of the order, and they definitely charged me way more for shipping than it should be. But still, for that price I can afford to get gouged on shipping a little.

I am fortunate to be in driving distance of the store and it is like a kid walking into a candy store.They have just about anything you can think of in stock and most of it on display it is a great place to visit and talk trains with them a real family owned business.

Glad you brought them up. Found a phenomenal price on that Bachmann EM-1 in N scale and finally took the plunge on that. Nervous about it being Bachmann, but for half the price of the Athearn articulateds I figure it's worth a shot. The only thing I don't like is their method of calculating shipping. They'd charge me less shipping for four or five big, heavy shakers of ballast than what they charged me for one tiny N-scale locomotive? I didn't think any places still calculated shipping solely based on the dollar amount of the order, and they definitely charged me way more for shipping than it should be. But still, for that price I can afford to get gouged on shipping a little.

I've only bought from them once (on-line) and was charged more than I thought they should, but they did refund later. Not a method I like, so one reason I've avoided them since and almost exclusively go to Klein's.

Sounds like a "few of these internet/walk-in stores", great prices IF you walk in; BUT, while the internet price maybe good, the shipping is outrageous and unjustifiable.

Toot'n, you mentioned Klein's and normally I would be a good advocate for them; however, I placed an order with them on the 16th of this month at 8:45 am and have still gotten nothing from them - no email confirmations or any of their normal good service. Contacted them this morning re the order, as I found it unusual, and have still heard nothing from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that others are having positive experiences with TrainWorld. I haven't made any purchases from them yet, but poked around tonight on their website and saw some good prices. I need to get four bridge kits for the layout I'm working on... maybe I'll buy them from TW.

Just a note to address the shipping charges mentioned. This order was for over $430, which weighed 23 lbs., and the shipping was another $10.50. I don't find that bad at all considering the weight and distance involved. :)

Joe

Just a note to address the shipping charges mentioned. This order was for over $430, which weighed 23 lbs., and the shipping was another $10.50. I don't find that bad at all considering the weight and distance involved. :)

Joe

Yeah, that's pretty great, actually. And yet they charged me $14.95 shipping for a single N-scale Bachmann locomotive :confused:

Yeah, that's pretty great, actually. And yet they charged me $14.95 shipping for a single N-scale Bachmann locomotive :confused:

That does sound like a bit much. I don't know if they charge less for customers that are frequent or volume purchasers, or if there is some other formula that they use. I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them since last fall, so maybe I am getting a preferential shipping rate, or not. That is a head scratcher. :confused:

Darn, that is a head scratcher ... only thing that could effect the shipping (I would think) would be the means of shipping used and which shipper was used. FedEx is horrendously over priced for what they offer, while USPS is considerably cheaper for the same type of delivery.

Just doesn't make sense that a shipment weighing 23 lbs could cost $4+ less than a single N Scale loco.

They might have made the shipping less if a certain amount of sales total is reached. I know that works at Micro Mark on some of my orders. Also if there is a difference in "zones" I know UPS takes that into account in the price of shipping too. Could something like that be at play ?

"...They might have made the shipping less if a certain amount of sales total is reached..."

You mean to say that they (Micro Mark) jack up the shipping costs to off set poor sales? Guess that's why they got so "pissy" with me when I told them I wouldn't deal with them if all they used was Fed EX. So much for "good prices" then.

Sorry, got distracted. Zoning is one thing that will effect shipping, that's true; but I can't see how it could effect it to such an extent as above ...

I don't think any large outfit charges more than their direct costs for shipping. I know you all are aware of Ebay sharks that over-charge for simple post office mailing 'shipping' of some ridiculous items like an old magazine or timetable. First off it creates legal tax issues for accounting at a real business that has annual third-party audits.

However big outfits that I deal with (such as Summit Racing, Jameco and DigiKey Electronics etc...) many times have special rates granted by UPS and FedX since at one stop the truck(s) can get filled up. They also can wait until up to 8:00-PM to ship on the work-day. That's a better deal than smaller companies can get due to the volume and efficiency.

I'd bet that TW, Walthers and MicroMark all are large enough for that. Often times the savings is in part passed on to the consumer - especially if a total sales amount is reached. Any company trying to get rich by jacking shipping charges is wasting their time and risking good will in the process.

Only some of the companies I knew of in the 1980s taken over by Harvard MBA CEO fools ever did that sort of thing by trying to make every single department a "profit center". Those companies all failed and were kicked to the curb by their customers.

I was not happy with my order. Granted it was a cheap locomotive but it should stay on the rails. I talked to three different people and got three different answers till the owner agreed to exchange for a Bachmann locomotive and a refund on the balance. I got a bs story how someone checked it before it shipped. Never again.

Train World is very very expensive on shipping
I just received today 4 HO freight cars (2 x 2-offset hopper which are very small and 2 x 50' box car)
Cost for those two items $67.96

Shipping $32.86 (cheapest shipping there is supposedly)

I will only order from them if nobody else has the items I want.
Don't think it's based on volume, if so, how much do you need to spend in one year +$3,000??

Previous order was for $410 and shipping was $84, that's very expensive

Model Train Stuff's last order was for $595 and weighed more and shipping was $45

Back