Train horn policy?

AllenB

A friend said there is a law about blowing your horn at crossings. He said its 2 long, a short, and another long. I told him I did not think there was anything that governed horn blowing. Am I wrong? I hear all sorts of pattern where I am.

A friend said there is a law about blowing your horn at crossings. He said its 2 long, a short, and another long. I told him I did not think there was anything that governed horn blowing. Am I wrong? I hear all sorts of pattern where I am.

Are you talking about a car driver honking the horn at a crossing?

Law, or really railroad rule, but some local communities pass laws forbidding train horns in populated communities....

The law across both the USA and Canada is two longs, a single short, and a final long. An engineer who fails in that legal obligation will be written up at the very least (meaning disciplined), and could face both a fine and charges, particularly if a crossing accident takes place.

The last long sounding of the horn must last until the locomotive has passed the grade crossing. I sometimes laugh at some of the videos I have seen of sound equipped locomotives. Some of the operators don't have a clue as to whistle/horn signals. I had these signals drilled into me when I was a kid riding with my relatives. These signals were and still are very important. Yard areas can be especially dangerous and these signals were extremely important to train crews.

We have some very busy tracks coming through our town, and four crossings. The tracks are used by BNSF. There is also a private switching company, the Clopuet Transfer Railroad, which moves stuff around the wood yard (SAPPI) and processing mill as well as a couple other industries, they also do rail car maintenance.

I notice the small company often simply makes a short toot at the crossing. Thy are usually only moving about 5 or 10 MPH, pulling one to four cars. Their bell is ringing the whole time.

BNSF, however, is all over the place with their horn blowing. Some of the engineers pull long blasts for the entire 3 miles through town. Effectively waking up everyone in town. There have been several letters to the editor in our town about this, so this is not a fabircated issue.

Other operators do the 2short, 1 long, 1 short routine. I assume it is voluntary as far as how they sound the horn, although mandatory that they do it.

A friend said there is a law about blowing your horn at crossings. He said its 2 long, a short, and another long. I told him I did not think there was anything that governed horn blowing. Am I wrong?
Yes, Federal Railroad Regulation - quoting directly from their rule book -

"Under the Train Horn Rule (49 CFR Part 222), locomotive engineers must begin to sound train horns at least 15 seconds, and no more than 20 seconds, in advance of all public grade crossings.

If a train is traveling faster than 60 mph, engineers will not sound the horn until it is within ¼ mile of the crossing, even if the advance warning is less than 15 seconds.

There is a "good faith" exception for locations where engineers can’t precisely estimate their arrival at a crossing and begin to sound the horn no more than 25 seconds before arriving at the crossing.

Train horns must be sounded in a standardized pattern of 2 long, 1 short and 1 long blast. The pattern must be repeated or prolonged until the lead locomotive or lead cab car occupies the grade crossing. The rule does not stipulate the durations of long and short blasts.

The maximum volume level for the train horn is 110 decibels which is a new requirement. The minimum sound level remains 96 decibels."

There are several towns along the Front Range of the Rockies that would like to have trains NOT blow their horns during certain hours...or at all. The BNSF and UP would consider it...BUT...the crossings would be required to have gates put in, which is quite costly, so they may have to continue blowing until the question is decided.

I have heard a lot of variation in the way the BNSF engineers sound the horns. I have four grade crossings, and my engineers are required to do it right, especially at the three crossings that do not have gates, but do have flashers and bells. (No room under the table top for gate actuators! :( )

From the NORAC 10th. Edition Rulebook:

Rule 19. Engine Whistle or Horn Signals

(b) Sound: — — o — (Long, long, short. Long)
Indication:
1. When approaching a public highway-rail crossing at grade and at a whistle sign displaying "W", "W/MX", or other specified aspect, with the engine in front, start whistle signal at least 15 seconds but not more than 20 seconds before occupying the crossing. The signal must be prolonged or repeated until the engine occupies the crossing. For multiple crossings, the signal must be prolonged or repeated until the last crossing is occupied."

This rule goes on the give directions for engines exceeding 60mph and when the train or engine is stopped near the crossing, etc.

"EXCEPTION: This warning must not be sounded at a whistle sign indicating "W/R" or in areas otherwise designated as Quiet Zones, except in an emergency"

If your layout is modeling 19th. century or very early 20th century, the usual crossing signal was — — o o. That was done back then so as not to spook the horses pulling carriages that were at the crossing... At the Museums where I work the trolleys still use the old crossing signal (— — o o) Our antique locomotives use the — — o — at the designated spots.

I believe the NORAC 10th. Edition Rulebook is the current rule book for all trains operating in the Northeastern US. This rule is the same in all rulebooks used in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back