The Equestria Railroad - My Daughter's OO9 scale "My Little Pony" Railroad.

The rocks were glued with more PVA and left to dry. The upper part of the river and the small waterfall will have to wait until the landscape develops.

mlp062.jpg

While that was drying, the bridge was painted its first coat. The pinkish grey base coat will then be overpainted with random stones high and low lighted to create a more mottled appearance.

mlp063.jpg

Last edited:
With just a couple of coats of PVA, the river is starting to look quite good. The bridge isn't glued in at this time.

mlp064.jpg

The second bridge was going to be a low wooden structure, so it didn't block the view of the stone bridge. Some 1/16 plywood strips were stained with dilute brown household emulsion paint of variuos shades for the bridge decking.

mlp065.jpg

Three strips of 1/4 square Ramin were sanded to a rough round shape to form the main structure of the bridge. The planks were then glued over the top.

mlp066.jpg

mlp067.jpg

The area under the bridges was given a quick coat of green, as once glued in place, it will be hard to access.

mlp068.jpg

The last picture of the day was both bridges in place with track placed over them for pictures. My daughter has now gone away camping for the weekend, so the next build session will probably be Monday.

mlp069.jpg

The day after, the stone bridge had its stones painted lighter and darker shades.

mlp072.jpg

Today, we began laying track!! starting at the turnout.

mlp073.jpg

The main loop was laid first, running from both ends of the turnout, soldering the track joints on the curve and making the expansion joint on the straight area by the bridge.

mlp074.jpg

A GEM turnout lever was used to throw the rails, with the aid of a micro servo head as a bellcrank.

mlp075.jpg

The stone bridge was glued down next, and the climbing track to the station laid.

mlp076.jpg

With the track all pinned down, I soldered some wires to the rails and gave the loco a test run around the loop and up the incline. All went well, although the loco is still a bit rough, as I haven't replaced the 30+ year old motor yet, with the new 5 pole motor.

mlp077.jpg

The day was interuppted by a school friend's birthday party and a trip bowling, so we didn't get any further after testing the trackwork.

mlp078.jpg

mlp079.jpg

After a day at grandma's house yesterday, we were back on the layout today. We started by adding a plate to raise the landscape in the forest and river area, held up on several wooden blocks, seen being glued here.

mlp080.jpg

Some 2mm plywood sits on top of the blocks, forming the base for the road/dirt track through the forest, and provides an edge for the continuation of the river.

mlp081.jpg

While I prepared some other bits and pieces, my daughter got on with painting the tunnel mouth a base coat of grey, and once dry, painted a number of stones in various grey/brown shades.

mlp082.jpg

We then did some 'mod-roc' work around the river and the location of the camp fire. I also soldered up a red and yellow flickering LED which would be burried under a pile of logs for the camp fire.

mlp083.jpg

We had considered ballasting the track, but decided we needed some landscape in place where some of the ballast would slope down from the edges of the rail ties. This corner is the desert area where the 'Diamond Dogs' live. Their burrows is where they hide diamond and gems, to be replicated with flickering LED's of various colours.

mlp084.jpg

The last job of the day was plastering the area along side the lower part of the river, and creating the waterfall and upper part of the river that runs behind the 'Everfree Forest'.

mlp085.jpg

The next stage was on the other side of the layout, building up the road that leads to Ponyville station. I cut some sections of hardboard and some supports on the bandsaw, ready to be glued on.

mlp088.jpg

mlp089.jpg

Once the road was dry, we added some strips of card for supports for the landscape, and while they were drying, another tunnel mouth was made with more cut up sandpaper stones.

mlp090.jpg

mlp091.jpg

After everything was dry, and the tunnel attached, we used plaster bandage to form the hillside shape, followed by more undercoat plaster for surface texture. That was then left to fully harden, and that's as far as we've got to date.

mlp092.jpg

mlp093.jpg

A little more progress in the last few days. The hillsides on the Ponyville side of the layout were covered in plaster bandage

mlp094.jpg

mlp095.jpg

Today, on the other side of the layout, we began the structure over the tunnel in the 'Clousdale' area of the layout. I used a section of aluminium channel to hold the side straight while the hillside supports were cut and glued.

mlp098.jpg

Card strips were then glued over the wooden structure.

mlp099.jpg

The pathway and hill structure for the 'Everfree Forest' were added later. A plywood path and card support strips were used. Plaster bandage followed.

mlp100.jpg

mlp101.jpg

Back