the beauty of narrow gauge track...

tooter

play every day
For inspiration on planning my layout, I've been looking at lots of railroad pictures for the kind of atmosphere I want to recreate. And it struck me just how beautiful narrow gauge track is in its surroundings... :)

20080217-hurst-castle-railway.jpg

istockphoto_3242445-narrow-gauge-railway-track.jpg

800px-Narrow_gauge_railroad_-_Geriatriezentrum_Lainz_18.jpg

758px-Narrow_gauge_railroad_-_Geriatriezentrum_Lainz_08.jpg

8230086_67a2dffeb2.jpg

DSCN3982.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more beauty... :)

track-2.jpg

25_19_55---The-Maine-Narrow-Gauge-Railroad-Co--Museum--Portland--Maine_web.jpg

494619316_435eef59a6.jpg

24_barmouth_train.jpg

g030413.jpg

There's a kind of a wistful nostalgic feeling associated with these pictures that I hope to be able to evoke in a layout. That's my goal... sort of like an artist wants to communicate a feeling in their work.

Many of the pics are of the remnants of old industrial spur lines that will never be repaired, which is kind of wistfully nostalgic in itself as it bespeaks of time past that will never return.

I want to add a little bit of combo gauge in my layout. Won't be functional, just for show like those pics, old and not used anymore...

Very nice, thanx!
There used to be a narrow gauge line thru our yard, back when it was a quarry.
When I get back this weekend I'll post an interesting pic!

Please do, rico... :)

A newly installed turnout...

jubileesidings02.jpg

Cool critter... :)

loc35.jpg

Old critter... like me. ;)

15081.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat pics, Tooter. Any idea where they were taken? I think I recognize the one running through the woods as the Big Trees and Santa Cruz tourist line. That dual guage trackage looks mighty beefy. The engine house tracks embedded in the pavement is a really nice job for narrow gauge. The trestle looks like it was built for standard gauge but the changeover never took place.

Hi UP, :)

They come from all over the world...
If you do a google search for "narrow gauge track images" you'll get an image result at the top of the list. Click on that, and pages and pages of images come up. I did the same for "Chinese narrow gauge images". In fact you can do any search and add images to the search words and you'll get pictures of the subject search. :)

Greg

Hi UP, :)

They come from all over the world...
If you do a google search for "narrow gauge track images" you'll get an image result at the top of the list. Click on that, and pages and pages of images come up. I did the same for "Chinese narrow gauge images". In fact you can do any search and add images to the search words and you'll get pictures of the subject search. :)

Greg

Or click images right next to web and itll do the same thing minus having to click on the few images at the top of the web links when you just do a normal search :)

Please do, rico... :)

A newly installed turnout...

jubileesidings02.jpg

Cool critter... :)

loc35.jpg

Old critter... like me. ;)

15081.jpg

Some of those pics look foreign. English/Welsh perhaps? I like the one with the street trackage. Narrow gauge street trackage is all but unheard of here in the States. I can't think of any NG road that had any, not even the EBT.

Speaking of Welsh, here's an absolutely charming small Welsh station surrounded by some truly graceful track... :)

IMAG000.JPG

My wife and I went to Switzerland for two weeks this summer; not our usual kind of vacation! It wasn't a rail-themed trip, but there was a lot to see for anyone who cared to look. Standard gauge and narrow too.

Zurich streetcars are meter gauge, so I assume their trackwork is on topic. Here's a 3-way crossing:

IMG_3772.JPG

This is out at the end of Route 6, the Zoo. There are stub-end tracks where multiple cars can be held if there's ever a need to move large crowds, and just in case of cars rolling by accident, there are derails. It looks as if they've been needed in the past!
IMG_3817.JPG

tooter...Do you think you would enjoy garden Railroading? alot of narrow gauge is found in out door model railroads.
I have some Old LGB trains that I use to set up out in my moms garden. It was always fun every spring to set up a new layout in the yard and play in the snow with them.

Hi John, :)

Did you notice something odd in your first picture?
There are no rails... just grooves.

IMG_3772.JPG

Do you know why? Are they planned rail installations?

Greg

Back