the beauty of narrow gauge track...

Greg,

If you think about it $5000 isn't too bad (not saying it aint a lot of money, it is) but some people blow more than that for a vacation.

Well, that's exactly how I feel, too. :)

I would much rather spend a weeks vacation building a little railroad.

..and years of fun playing on it. :)

Do they sell just the rail? How much does the no-rot ties cost?

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.rmirailworks.com/

They'll be happy to sell you anything you want.

Thinking it may be a lot cheaper to just use treated lumber. By the time it would rot you might be wanting to change the route. Or it would give you an excuse to buy some MOW equipment. Wouldn't that be neat; a scaled down, operatable tie replacer or balast tamper? Ok, done with my rambling :)

That's a little farther than I'd take it... ;)

I just want to lay some track in the yard and have a little roller to run around on it. :)

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's one: Ophir, Colorado:
IMG_4724.JPG

Re: "If you think about it $5000 isn't too bad..."

I wonder how much you would get for $5 grand. A hand-cranked speeder is nearly half that (without shipping and crating). The track itself is pretty reasonably priced, as are many of the parts (wheels, tie plates, etc). But just like our N, HO, or other smaller scale layouts, the money adds up really fast.

Still, it would really be a blast to tool around on some of that stuff that RMI sells...

Re: "If you think about it $5000 isn't too bad..."

I wonder how much you would get for $5 grand. A hand-cranked speeder is nearly half that (without shipping and crating).

The little wooden hand crank speeder in the picture is only $600 plus shipping which leaves about $4,300 for track. Their cheapest wyes are $850 each, so I'd like to get at least two for a possible expansion loop later. $2,600 including shipping will buy a great big oval plus some extra track for sidings .:)

The track itself is pretty reasonably priced, as are many of the parts (wheels, tie plates, etc). But just like our N, HO, or other smaller scale layouts, the money adds up really fast.

Still, it would really be a blast to tool around on some of that stuff that RMI sells...

You know it! :)

Even though it will take a while to save up the money, that's what I'm gonna do. :)

Greg

Like anything else railroading related, I think it's less a function of money and more an issue of real estate. Sure a loop around the backyard (or all the way around the house!) would be fun for a while, but actually being able to trek off into some woods or along a creek would be a real treat that could be lots of fun. I wonder if a city park would be interested in providing land for something like that.
________
Nexium Lawsuits

Like anything else railroading related, I think it's less a function of money and more an issue of real estate. Sure a loop around the backyard (or all the way around the house!) would be fun for a while, but actually being able to trek off into some woods or along a creek would be a real treat that could be lots of fun. I wonder if a city park would be interested in providing land for something like that.

I wish you lots of luck...
...because the insurance liability for a riding railroad would be staggering with so many slip and fall sue happy losers looking to grab the lawsuit lotto brass ring from someone else's deep pockets.

Hah. Well, that Colorado picture was taken during an annual event called "Tour de Chooch" that takes place on the Saturday and Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. A bunch of guys in eastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire who own railroads agree to all have open houses at the same time, and you can dash around semi-lost on suburban backroads for the day, wondering where you're going to find a bathroom. But if you're interested in bigger narrow gauge, I saw this at one of the other places. The owner never mentioned it (his other railroad was indoors) and I don't know what motive power he has, if any. The outdoor layout is U-shaped and goes round the sides and back of the house:

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

I'm not arguing, but I can't find the hand cranked speeder price except here:

Hey Dad, :)

I understand... the $600 wooden hand crank speeder is made by another company altogether...

hand crank speeder

Rail_Pup_Gold_2.JPG

Like you, I'm not getting anything soon either until I save up enough money...
but it's definitely on the to do list! :D

Greg

Hah. Well, that Colorado picture was taken during an annual event called "Tour de Chooch" that takes place on the Saturday and Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. A bunch of guys in eastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire who own railroads agree to all have open houses at the same time, and you can dash around semi-lost on suburban backroads for the day, wondering where you're going to find a bathroom. But if you're interested in bigger narrow gauge, I saw this at one of the other places. The owner never mentioned it (his other railroad was indoors) and I don't know what motive power he has, if any. The outdoor layout is U-shaped and goes round the sides and back of the house:

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

Oooh... THAT'S what I want to do in my yard. 7 1/2" gauge track. Thanks for posting the pics.

You made me laugh telling about the bathroom hunt. :D

Greg

Oooooooo. That's gotten me to thinking. And when I think, strange things usually happen. Thanks for the link.

You're welcome... :)
The hand crank speeder is the most fun for the least amount of money I've found so far that will run on rails. They have two models a direct drive model and a freewheeling model with a hand brake that can coast. My yard is sloped so the choice is obvious... ;)

Railroad / Rollercoaster :D

Greg

What about a recumbent bicycle merged with that little scooter?
:rolleyes:[as in thinking]
I believe my legs are stronger than my arms.

How about this for a beautiful little railroad in the woods... :)

byrrttcons15.jpg

It's on private property with a turntable under construction and a home made hand cranked car for transportation.

I see... it's gone now.

That picture evidently doesn't like being copied and reposted so I put it in my own album... :)

712gaugerails.png

It's a beautiful natural setting for a railroad... and reminds me of the Japanese modelling style where nature frequently predominates.

Greg

I guess that was a little selfish to ask for pictures without contributing anything. Here is a video of a solution to a problem.

Have narrow guage track but standard guage customers? Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7p1h5zeT3M
Didn't the East Broad Top in the U.S. do something like this?
I vaguely recall a Russian railway doing something like this too because of the gauge change,but I could be wrong, my kids often tell me I am.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
MT Hopper

Back