Starting Over ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
For the past few months I have been pre-occupied with a number of things so the "new layout" took a back seat. This afternoon I revisited the "planned layout" and immediately had second thoughts about it. I decided that it was "too complex" and needed something a little simpler that gave me more scenery options.

So, I went back to the drawing board and have come up with this track plan as a starting point:

neOL5IW.jpg

w2blMlW.jpg

Il6KzLZ.jpg

If anything, I am considering a "small yard" to fill some of the space in the N and N/W corner area.

As always, thoughts are welcomed and suggestions listened too.

Every inch of the track work will be accessible from beneath the layout due to the bench work being an open grid design, and 90% will be reachable for me from above the layout.

Hope this puts an end to the perceived reach issues and reach police.

Looking at the plans, I'm wondering if the yard will be on a grade. Simplification has its merits.

I like the double main. The Brewster, NY yard was on a slight grade. They had a derail at the southern end of the yard because if any thing got away it was going to roll for about 10 miles.

George

Thanks George but have made some changes where the yard is concerned as follows:

g4Ixw3W.jpg

I think this works better and keeps the yard flatter and more accessible. Also gives me more room for scenery in the main part of the layout.

Technically speaking, for those interested:

Track Length - 105.5"
Radii - 16" smallest
Grade - highest 2.2%

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks better!
What if you take the X over on the right and move it to other side of the river before the tunnel.
Then take the right X over and move it to the right before the lake?
Might be better from an operations point of view.

Thanks Rico, I think it looks better as well. I'm not quite following your thoughts though. I understand what you are saying about moving one of the crossovers to the opposite side of the river but the other thought has me confused.

Also, for what it is worth, operations don't concern me as this will be a predominantly free running layout.

Coming out of the left hand tunnel there is a straight section before the bridge.
The label 4'6" is to the left of it.

Looks like a keeper Tony. With the addition of the yard, you can pull a train in, drop it and pick up another. Plenty of room for a town or possibly two and some scenery.

I like it, it's Interesting. The corner is my favorite part.

What era will you be doing?

Thanks Louis, I'll be doing the "wombat era" ... predominantly modern running AC6000 and ES44AC engines with an F7 thrown in but including a steam train for a change. The buildings will be mainly DPM Kits so the feel will be mid 50's/

Looks like a keeper Tony. With the addition of the yard, you can pull a train in, drop it and pick up another. Plenty of room for a town or possibly two and some scenery.

Thanks mate and I believe this one IS a keeper as well. There are a couple of little things that I'll need to tweak such as moving the turnouts at the right side of the station/yard area so there is more clearance between them and the tunnel. That can be done during the build though I think.

This gives me plenty of "train running" but a little bit of ops with the yard and plenty of room for scenery. At this stage, I plan on a "main town" in the centre of the layout spreading to the W side and a smaller town in the S/E area. As for anything else I don't know and am trying not to "pre plan" anything rather do the rest on the run so to speak.

Willie,

Thanks and I am starting to lean that way as well, doing things on the fly.

I'm sure this plan will stay pretty much as is; however, when the time comes to start laying out the track, who knows what might happen but I can't see it changing much and, if it does, it might only be with a radius or exact position on the bench work. The base design will remain though.

Back