Starting Over ...

One more major change to the plan, well sort of major. The plan as shown has a single passing track for the inner line but nothing for the outer track. So the change ... a center passing track that services both lines:

05TasEG.jpg

That is a wonderful change. Now, build it quick before you start 2nd guessing yourself and the complexity starts increasing.

Thanks Horseman and yeah, your right - I do have a tendency to start second guessing myself and looking for more. Not this time though. This time what I have is all I want and it WILL be built as per the plan.

I have been without a layout for too long so the time for procrastinating and making changes just for the hell of it is over. In the past I have looked at others layouts and seen things that I have liked and then tried to incorporate them into my plan. That isn't happening this time. This time it is my plan as I see it and I am more than happy with what has been put in place.

Tony,

I too really like this plan. I look forward to seeing it come to life! That river area on the R/H side has some great scenic possibilities.

Did you ever get squared up with your Trainworld debacle?

Tony,

I too really like this plan. I look forward to seeing it come to life! That river area on the R/H side has some great scenic possibilities.

Did you ever get squared up with your Trainworld debacle?

migalyto,

Thanks mate and I agree with you about the right hand river area. I think that will make for a nice small scene as well, perhaps a camping scene or something. I really haven't thought too much about the scenery in terms of what will go where other than the main Town and the possibility of a second smaller town in the S/E area near that river.

As for Trainworld ... I'll PM you re that.

So what do have planned for the open areas?

George

George,

The only thing that I have planned for certain is the main town will occupy some the space N and NW of the yard, but not all of it. I think the majority of the right hand side of the layout will be rural and mountains. What I think I am going to do is get the track work down and then see what is what and what can go where, just play around with it.

migalyto,

Thanks mate and I agree with you about the right hand river area. I think that will make for a nice small scene as well, perhaps a camping scene or something. I really haven't thought too much about the scenery in terms of what will go where other than the main Town and the possibility of a second smaller town in the S/E area near that river.

As for Trainworld ... I'll PM you re that.

George,

The only thing that I have planned for certain is the main town will occupy some the space N and NW of the yard, but not all of it. I think the majority of the right hand side of the layout will be rural and mountains. What I think I am going to do is get the track work down and then see what is what and what can go where, just play around with it.

I was thinking a few weeks ago you were looking to install some crossing gates. So the road crossing the tracks into the town would be were on the layout?

George

George,

At this point I have no idea it will depend on how I layout the town or if I even now have a crossing. That idea was to go with the "old" design. If I do include a road crossing, the only place I could see it happening would be along the straight section, prior to the tunnel, on the right side of the plan. If that were to happen then I'd run the road into it's own tunnel to reappear on the right side of the yard.

As mentioned, I haven't given any thought to what will go where or what will be included in any detail. The scenery and what will go where will be decided in once the track goes down and I can properly see what room is available for what and where.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the new upper siding, very versatile! I saw something similar once in my travels.
The upper left hand area would be great for a quarry or some kind of load out!

I like the change Tony. After our last conversation I started thinking about my trackplan as well and have decided to remove a large are of track in behind my wharf to give more building room.

Lynn,

Thank you and I'm applying more common sense with this than I did previously. More is not necessarily better. I love running trains and having an interesting track plan; however, I am a firm believer in the scenery makes the layout. I will have about 85' of track in this plan but much more area that is open for scenery and creating an atmosphere. That is my priority with the layout.

With your building skills, what your considering makes sense. Your wharf area is amazing and whatever you add to it will only enhance it. With that being said, how much track are you looking at removing?

I'll post the changed plan in my thread Tony so you can see the difference to the current plan.

So, you're not doing HO any more? I ran across the Oxford structures in (I think) close to HO scale and thought of that time you were looking for British looking structures.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/oxford-structures
Jim,

Thanks for the link; however, nope no more HO. It's been probably a year give or take since I shut down/pulled out the HO and went across to, started planning for, an N Scale layout to replace it. Once I did the N Scale in the shed I was hooked and could see the benefits of it for me and the space I have available.

Found this N scale site while wandering around in railroadforums (off the beaten track actually and down a few diverging paths). Might have something that could interest you later

http://nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/centerbeams-lumber-loads-my-next-n.html

Toot'n,

Thanks and I am going to have to get over there and take a look around as well.

Back