Southern Pacific Fleet

Well as far as left over parts all thats left are the spare couplers for the horn and hook. I dont use and dont like horn and hook. I have been building models all my life and dont follow the directions anymore, They like you said are so easy to follow with these locomotives lol.

As far as other locomotives in my SP fleet I posted some of the pictures in my other thread in showing off http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8402
I do have a few dummys that I havent shown like my Snoot nose SD40T-2
Dash 9 and SD45. I dont like the SD45 as its an older Athearn and the nose is to big and a few other details are wrong. I also bought a AC4400CW that will be home this week sometime, However for any more pictures of the fleet I will have to wait till I am home again which will be in about a week and a half.

Here is that SD40T-2 Snoot nose. Its a shame its not powered as the previous owner pored alot of work in adding detail to this one. The Radiator is See through and he added all the grab irons and frankly it has alot of the details and then some of the newer athearn units. I plan to add power, Sound and DCC to this unit.

SP8306.jpg

Also I was wanting to get a BLI SD40-2 and repaint it to Southern Pacific. I was wondering if the Union Pacific one would be a good choice in the repaint? I was going to do it in Speed lettering Late SP

I just finished Weathering 2690 my MP15DC and got some photos of it. Starting to like my Low angle shots. I showed some guys at work my Low angle shots of my Challenger and they couldnt believe they were of a HO Scale engine.

2690.jpg

26905.jpg

26904.jpg

26903.jpg

26902.jpg

26901.jpg

Sad thing is I found some pictures of the real 2690 and its in very sorry shape. It was Scrapped and all thats left of it is the cab sitting in some junkyard.

I also noticed I keep derailing my engines when I rotate them to take differant angles. Humm maby a signature of mine in photos. Just hope it dosnt rub off on me taking pictures of the real thing lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. You have to get used to rerailing by feel. You'll be able to do it with your eyes closed after you've done it enough time on your layout. The MP15 weathering came out just about right. Maybe a little heavy on the ends but overall a good depiction of the sad state of SP engines in the final years, when the company had lost all sense of pride in their equipment.

I was thinking the same about the ends. The good thing is that Thinner does work on removing some of the weathering Also that rust can be brushed off some after its dryed. Its a really good forumla and I will be getting more once my supply is gone. I may even try some of his other formulas as well.
I also just ordered some Graffitti Decals which will add to my weathering.
seeing what some go for on ebay I may start to use that to pay for my hobby if I can get good enough. I just saw a ADM 3 Bay hopper going for 90 bucks and who ever did the weathering on it did a great job. I am almost tempted to buy it myself as It looks alot like a hopper that runs on the Kyle here. I also hope to see and photograph my favorite hopper the kyle has. Someone wrote on the side " Just the Normal Noise in here" and i would like to do a prototype of it.
BTW I decided to buy a brand new ADM hopper and just do the weathering myself. I just wish I had a more redish type of rust, Maby I can find a mix of red and black to add to a small sample of it to get the tone darker.

I was thinking about the weathering on the ends and think due to alot of pictures I have seen, wheels from rolling stock throw alot of grime and that on the locomotives. I have seen engines with a little more grime and dirt on the ends then the middle. However any suggestions are welcome. The only way to improve is thru observations of others.

Well I got in a few more photos I also got in a new Engine and I got a really good deal on this one. Its a AC4400CW #355

SP3551.jpg

SP3552.jpg

Now for a view of a few of my older engines with weathering added.

SP 9194

9194.jpg

91941.jpg

SP 9330

9330.jpg

93301.jpg

SP93302.jpg

A little note about SP 9330, It really is about that clean today they keep it washed. It now belongs to CEFX and a few small details I changed like the door on the front of the cab is light grey on the real one. It has a Power by the mile sticker on it now and is CEFX patched all tough it only says in small letters under the road number, It also nolonger says SP on the nose or tail it says CEFX in small letters but has kept its overall SP paint job. I think who ever runs CEFX must be a fan of the Tunnel motor as they have a large number of them and KYLE out of Phillipsburg KS is Leasinng about 8 of them, including 9330.

The KYLE is a short line that runs a portion of the old Rock Island Main from Denver to Chicago. They run all of Kansas along US36 and drop down along I 70 at Colby Kansas and run to Limon Colorado where they meet the Union Pacific on what used to be the Rio Grande line. But my Home is on the Colorado Side of the Kyle line and I live a half a block from the Depot here in town.

More good looking engines, Don. What company made the 9308? Did the light modifications come that way from the factory or was that done by the seller?

That and my other SD45T-2's are Athearn RTR. Infact most of my Diesel Locomotives are Athearn RTR with the exception of the SD70M which is Genesis. They come factory with the lights like that as that is how they look now with the exception they all have ditch lights. Keep in mind that these are Late SP Speedlettered units the Red Light is gone on most. I have seen a few with the area where they were filled in.

I guess I will at one time have to buy one of the older painted Units just to have one in the collection, I also have been thinking of getting a Kodacrome unit as well but have been delayed on buying them.

Coincidentally, I just got a jacket from one of my mom's friend that is the same color as my ATSF Kodak GP40X. :eek:

Well after I said that I won a Kadacrome SD45T-2 on ebay, no one bid on it but me so I didnt pay more then 60 dollars for it. Its a custom numbered unit which means that it may have not been a numbered unit and the guy who has it renumbered it. I will weather it when I get it as its to brandnew looking for my collection. However its a nice looking unit.

That's a really great looking unit!

If your refering to the Tunnel motor, yes they are all good looking engines. I just happined to have a few pictures of Three of them pulling a train Past my home. They Made a hopper drop in town and I took a picture of the three of them without any cars hooked to them.
I used to have alot of photos of the 6 that Kyle is leasing but when my last computer failed I lost a great deal of my photos.

Back