Southern Pacific Fleet

I just expanded my Southern Pacific Fleet by two engines. I have two SD-45T-2's and a SD45. I just added Two GP-9's all be it one is a dummy and I ended paying as much for it as I did the Powered one. I didnt realise untill I made my bid that it wasnt powered. However My plans are to give it power and update it to DCC as well as sound. They both were on ebay and were custom built engines so I dont think I did to bad, Also being that GP-9s are hard to find anyway and more so with SP. I found them when I was looking for a Good SW1500. I lost the switcher so I just went for the Geeps instead. I will get me a PCM SW1500 when they bring them out. I payed 76 dollars for each of the geeps which may be a little high but atleast I have them now.

If these were P2K or Atlas Geeps that were customized with SP light sets, $76 isn't a bad price. If they were standard SP Geeps without any of the additional SP lighting or were older Athearn Geeps that weren't customized with paint, decals, and the light set, you paid too much. Paying $76 for a dummy engine is too much regardless of what had been done to it. It's your money but SP engines, especially GP7's and 9's, are not uncommon on e-bay. You may have to wait a week or two for the right one and you will lose some bids but don't get bidding fever over something you could get for half the price a week later.

These first two are the dummy. The seller had four of them and I got two.

8615_1.jpg

852a_1.jpg

This one I really wanted due to the air tanks being on top.

5b91_1.jpg

5cf8_1.jpg

I looked up the real engines and these are really good reproductions of them. I will post more detailed pictures of my Entire fleet when i get more pictures of them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=200209800821&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like nicely detailed engines from the small pictures I can see both here and at e-bay. These are older Athearn engines and they are really GP-7's, not GP-9's, as were the real SP engines. If these are really custom jobs, the modeler may have shaved off the extra battery box vents that identify the GP-7. The real 3189 had a much different fuel tank and extra vents in the long hood. It's clear these weren't added since the Southern Pacific lettering is too far forward. Still, if you're happy with them, I'm sure they were worth the price to you.

Great! Of all modern diesels SP has (had) the best paint scheme. Bloody nose and gray. But I would be partial as I grew up with units like that. :)

They look like nicely detailed engines from the small pictures I can see both here and at e-bay. These are older Athearn engines and they are really GP-7's, not GP-9's, as were the real SP engines. If these are really custom jobs, the modeler may have shaved off the extra battery box vents that identify the GP-7. The real 3189 had a much different fuel tank and extra vents in the long hood. It's clear these weren't added since the Southern Pacific lettering is too far forward. Still, if you're happy with them, I'm sure they were worth the price to you.

To the best of my knowledge, Athearn GP-7s did not have scale width hoods. The 2nd unit appears to have a scale width hood. Maybe this is an Athearn frame with a Front Range shell.

I will post some better pictures of these units later. I am not really sure about the make of the shell's the guy who made these put alot of custom work into them. I will be upgrading them later and will be adding lights to them. It looks like he did a really good job at trying to make these look like SP units.
I will be posting my SP fleet to this later as It has grown to 11 engines. My Rio Grande Fleet has grown to 8 units and I may share them here as well due to SP and RG being one and the same in there later years. My last few editions are an AC6000CW, SD70M, and SD40T-2 snoot nose.
My RG fleet consists of 6 SD40T-2's and 2 SD50's.
My SP Fleet also consists of two SD45T-2's A Dash 9, SD45, SW1500, Two GP-7's and the other three listed above.

I can see the MR bug has really bitten you this time. :) Looks like you are going to have quite a roster when you're done,

Randy, the seller never mentioned anything about using a Front Range shell on the torpedo tube unit, something I think he would have done since it would have increased the value of the model. In looking at both sets of pictures again, both shells look to be the same width at the cab and ends but the torpedo tube shell looks narrower overall. I suspect it's an optical illusion due to the lack of the D/B blister but I could be wrong.

I'd weather them, even if it was just to show some road dirt on the trucks and fuel tanks. How much you weather them depends on about what year your layout is trying to depict. The older the locomotive, the more weathering they should have. Since these were some of the last locomotives bought by the SP before the merger, they tended to become pretty dirty before the repaints started.

Actually, the SP's ac6000's 600, 601 and 602 never saw any dirt in the gray/red, they were repainted grey/yellow whilst still in the paint shop:(
Great steal on that SD70M though!

Ya the SD70M had a buy it now on it for less then 90 bucks. I couldnt pass that up. Just got lucky to have seen it before anyone else did. I am happy with both of them thought.

I think your all right on the weathering. The AC6000 will see only minor weathering. The SD70 will be moderate but will be a while as I am on the road now and only do that work at home.

Well I now have my first Atlas Locomotive. I have 5 center flow tankers from them and are great quality. However I have hand no engines from them. I just won this one on ebay.

atlas_mp15dc_sp_2690.jpg

Back