Southern Pacific Fleet

Nice looking engine indeed. If you want it to look like the real thing, you now get to have the fun of adding the SP light clusters. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260236642763
That is the link to it at ebay. I think by the listing that all the parts are in the box and I will have to install the front and rear handrails. I hope anyway. I will send a question to the guy who listed it.
The AC that i am bidding on the discription says that it didnt work on the test track and I am hoping that it is just a loose connection somewhere, that is on the MP15AC that I am bidding on. From the looks it is in good shape and maby just as I was thinking. So with this MP15DC and I am gettiing the AC version as well.

Well I didnt win the MP15AC as it went for to much for me, it was the one that didnt run anyway. I was trying to win a few other engines as well but nothing panned out. I ended up buying a brand new Athearn Genisis Challanger road number 3985 though. everyone always goes for the Big Boy but I got to see the Challanger run once so I wanted one.

It's probably better that you didn't win if someone wanted beat you out on an engine that didn't run. MP15AC's in SP colors aren't that rare so another will show up soon and maybe this one will be running. :)

I've always wanted a Challenger. Did you get the DC or sound version? I havent seen one in person but they sure look awful nice in pictures.

Cool. I've read mixed reviews on the sound and DCC equipped Genesis models so I'll be interesed to hear what you think of it.

I may not be able to for a while as I will be home in the middle of this week. I may not recive it untill next week sometime. However I will post about it when I get to try it out. Its just to bad I dont have a digital video camera. I would post some video of it if i could. I will get lots of pictures of it thought.

Well I am home so I got to test out the two engines 9809 and 601. My impressions are as follows. Athearn makes a great product in the Genisis line. I will no doubt be buying more of them in the future. It runs smooth and the ditch lights are a great edition. 601 is a BLI engine and on my test track the sounds are good. DCC controller made all the sounds work great. However the engine is DC so to get it to run I had to run it on the DC controller which has some problems. My DC no longer has speed controll. It only has two settings which are on and off. On it runs all engines at full throttle. However 601 is haveing problems with this. Sounds come on but sits at an idol. The only way I can motivate it to run is to hook another engine onto it and yank it around the track. The only engine that seems to want to work with is 9809 the SD70M. They run great togeather. I have a new DC controller on the way and will update this when I get it in. However with 9809 on the point 601 runs at full throttle. I Got it to run alone last night for some time but it really needs to be motivated to run. I have tryed other engines at the point and they just will not pull it around there, I think its due to the weight of 601... Its a very heavy engine.
However when it runs its smooth, I have another BLI engine and its jerky around the track but this one is very smooth, I think when the other controller comes in that should solve the problems as well as when I get the DCC decoder for it.

9809 Pulls well and has a very strong motor perhaps the best engine that I have, I just wish it was DCC and sound.

I also came home to find that D&RGW 5505 has arrived and I ran it as well. Its a RTR Athearn SD50. It runs well and is a great edition to my RG collection. I weathered it and will post pictures of it later.

My MP15DC came in today. Its an Atlis unit and I am very supprised on how detailed it is. The radiator grills are see thru. The Cat walks can be posisitioned. Alot of other small details that make this one of my most detailed engines. For its size its one of the best.

SP2690.jpg

SP26901.jpg

sp26902.jpg

sp26903.jpg

Looks very nice but I sure wish Atlas would start adding the correct light clusters for SP engines. Athearn is doing that now and it sure makes them look better. Even if they don't add the right cluster, I wish they'd make headlight area pop off so I can add my own. It's a real pain sawing and sanding to get the cluster on and looking good.

Well I do like this engine anyway even if the lights are wrong. That is only a minor detail. It pulls well as I had it pulling 12 cars and it did well with them almost to well. My Athearn SW1500 can pull only half of what this one can pull but there is a major weight differance as well. I will be weathering this one next time I am home so I will add some updated pictures of it later. Also I forgot to mention that the interrior of the cab has some details as well, However I think from pictures of the Athearn AC version they did a better job with the cab interrior. I will be getting an Athearn AC later.

Oh come on. Everyone knows that the manufacturers provide detailed drawings that leave no doubt as to where each piece should go.:rolleyes:

Now, where are all those left over pieces.......

Back