Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

railBuilder - nice, very convincing. I love the fade and the streaking. I also like the attention around the hand grabs...behind them is grimy, and the grab itself is lighter than the car, suggesting they have been used. Great job.

Dallas - Thanks for the comments. I'm not selling anything yet, but if I do in the future I'll let you know. In the next few weeks I'll see if I can put together a little tutorial on how I do my graffiti...it's nothing special and I'm sure there are better ways, but in my limited experience it has worked well for me.

kool thanks, for now all ive done to my railboxes is fade them with 1 part burnt umber, 3 parts water, thats for the old logo FMC ones, the new logo ACF boxcars i fade them 1 part white, 3 parts water

Are you using acrylics? An airbrush? I haven't tried that method yet, but I'd like to. Any pictures?

yes sir i'm using acrylics from walmart! them big apple barrel bottles in the crafts section. yes im also using a cheap airbrush i got at a local hardware store called harbor freight, got it for 9.99, all u need is a compressor. i prefer acrylics over enamels because 1 you dont have to smell that darn thinner, and 2 its easy to clean up and dries quicker. if they dont make the color u want, start mixin colors till u get it right! thats the best part. i might be able to post pics later

DSCF3562.jpg

The roof was done with a torn bit of one of those painting sponges with the dowel handle. Dabbed on acrylic burnt umber, then dusted that with chalk to give it that powdery rust look. all the rest was done with pastels that I scrape into dust with a razor blade as needed. Then sealed with an artist's fixative.

believe it or not Zoe... That's a woodland scenics No. 927 scenery kit, designed fo learning how to work with every aspect of their scenery products. It's only 18 inches long! Thanks guys for the compliments! Glad to know I'm doing OK.

After all these awesome pictures and excellent works I want to show the first wheatered cars of my current small car collection.

Greetings from Germany,
Frank

Back