Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

This an IC Reefer I did a few years ago. Not very good but at least it looks used. :)

ICReeferMedium.jpg

Excellent start, Randy. Getting that overall rusty look with the right streaking is going to be tricky. You've got the graffiti down good though. :) Looks like they restenciled the dimensional data and put on the reflective tape after the graffiti job. I'm surprised they didn't restencil the car number at the same time.

Looks good, Randy, but what is the white stuff inside the culvert? Looks like something needs to be reamed out or painted black.

Thanks guys.

Here's some shots of it on my freshly finished diorama after a little more work.

DSCF34531.jpg

DSCF34551.jpg

That's very nice. I don't model modern trains, but if I was young again and starting in the hobby, your pic would certainly inspire me to go modern.
Cheers.

HAHA Jim! Good eye! Thats a bit of the plaster cloth that does infact need trimming!

@zoegraf,

Thank you. Kind words indeed!

LOL, Randy, it's strange how things like that only show up after you post a picture. :) I have a picture in one of the threads with my telephone wires resting right on top of a streetlight. Never noticed it until I saw the photo.

Here's one in progress. It's an old Athearn Railbox model that I salvaged from when I was a kid. I'm still working on one of the sides, and have a few more touch-ups to make (add couplers, drop steps, and some more weathering).

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_1543.JPG

After removing my childhood attempt at weathering, I tried doing a heavy wash using acrylics and totally botched the job. I removed that, then used Dullcote and artist's chalks and got a much better result. The grafitti is hand-painted using a couple techniques that I'm experimenting with (I'm new to weathering). The trucks and wheels were done using dark brown as a base, then various shades of brown chalk, followed up with faint highlights of yellow chalk.

Looks very good, K-Pack. Be careful on your trucks, though. Chalk / powder tends to "cake" up inside the springs, robbing them of detail. Very nice job though!

Thanks for the comments...I noticed the loss of detail around the springs as well. I'll work on that for my next one.

Iomalley that hopper looks fanatastic. I like the spills.

Let's keep this thread going! I'm getting a lot great ideas from seeing everyone's work.

Here's one in progress. It's an old Athearn Railbox model that I salvaged from when I was a kid. I'm still working on one of the sides, and have a few more touch-ups to make (add couplers, drop steps, and some more weathering).

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_1543.JPG

After removing my childhood attempt at weathering, I tried doing a heavy wash using acrylics and totally botched the job. I removed that, then used Dullcote and artist's chalks and got a much better result. The grafitti is hand-painted using a couple techniques that I'm experimenting with (I'm new to weathering). The trucks and wheels were done using dark brown as a base, then various shades of brown chalk, followed up with faint highlights of yellow chalk.

Nice work. Looks great.

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_1543.JPG

i love them cars dude! u wanna sell em? and share ur secrets for graffiti

railBuilder - nice, very convincing. I love the fade and the streaking. I also like the attention around the hand grabs...behind them is grimy, and the grab itself is lighter than the car, suggesting they have been used. Great job.

Dallas - Thanks for the comments. I'm not selling anything yet, but if I do in the future I'll let you know. In the next few weeks I'll see if I can put together a little tutorial on how I do my graffiti...it's nothing special and I'm sure there are better ways, but in my limited experience it has worked well for me.

Back