"Scale Tinplate" Christmas

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
Oh, My! She's beautiful!!! That is one fine paint job. I wish I could be a bug on the wall and watch the way you produce that kind of perfection.

Guy64

Believe me Claudia, you wouldn't have wanted to be around me during all the whining that went on while I trimmed the paint mask on the boiler. "Tedious" doesn't quite describe it. These AF boiler shells are more detailed than many hobbyists appreciate.

This diesel horn equipped boxcar was much easier to mask. The circuitry within it is designed to work with a regular AF diesel horn generator. Crude by today's standards, it still makes a nice, reliable "HONK".

Attachments

• CDHORNBOX1b.JPG
    CDHORNBOX1b.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:

Guy64

The "official" Christmas shopping season is already a few days old. Occasionally, a local celeb or two may be found assisting shoppers...

Attachments

• 3685CookMonTot1.jpg
    3685CookMonTot1.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 240

Guy64

Sheesh. Some people are so anxious to get their Christmas trains they won't even wait for the trucks to be unloaded!:eek:

Attachments

• AFTruckb.jpg
    AFTruckb.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 230

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
It just keeps getting better and better! Thank's Chuck. BTW on our local newscast there was a guy with 2050 pieces of the three track O scale equipment, shelves full of it. I believe he said it was worth about $250,000. He had trains going all over the place. It was a rather large room, he built and wired the layout himself. One item he had was a guy shoving ice blocks into the hatch of a Reefer, pretty neat. Do they have somthing like DCC for that stuff? I noticed there was a crossover between two of the tracks he had trains on. It was a nice interview and quite interesting, but it was way too short. :D
Cheers Willis

Guy64

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Willis...

There seems to be a relatively large number of people into 3-rail 0 gauge, and many of them seem to be "comfortably well off." If you hear about a huge, valuable collection and layout, chances are better than even it's 0 gauge.

There are a few guys with big AF S gauge collections, too.

The icing station you mentioned sounds like the Lionel accessory, which I believe was first made in the 1950s. Lionel currently has their own proprietary digital control system called something like "Train Master Command Control" (TMCC). If I'm not mistaken, it can control accessories as well as multiple trains.

Guy64

The holiday season can get a bit hectic in Tinplate Corners. Tourists, car clubs, shoppers, the whole place can get pretty busy. This particular local prefers to avoid it all by "going home to see Ma." Since penguins can't get driver's licenses, he's forced to hitchhike.

Attachments

• Pengn1b.jpg
    Pengn1b.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 233

Lady_Railfan

Delicious, delightful detail!!! I look forward eagerly to each day's installment, and I'm never disappointed. I hate to think that everyone over at our Other Forum is missing all this. How about putting a link to this thread over there?

Guy64

As a local freight rumbles through Tinplate Mountain Tunnel, Cowabunga the Snowboarding Christmas Rabbit attacks the mountain by another method, bringing new meaning to the term "bunny slope"...;)

Attachments

• 4953SNOWBUNNY1a.JPG
    4953SNOWBUNNY1a.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 232

Guy64

Speaking of "comfortably well off," somebody in Tinplate Corners must be doing ok, 'cause they're getting some very nice Christmas presents...

Attachments

• 6516SONROCKET1b.jpg
    6516SONROCKET1b.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 241

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
WOW!
18.gif
Wonder if it's too late to move to Tinplate Corners for this Christmas and get some of the real cool gifts.
1.gif

Guy64

The children of Tinplate Corners and the surrounding area are quite accustomed to the presence of rail traffic. Here a couple of locals prepare to resume their cross-track snowball fight as soon as the line clears...

Aahhh... Christmas vacation!

Attachments

• Snofite3a.jpg
    Snofite3a.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 233

Guy64

Many do not know that Cookie Monster is a railfan. He enjoys hanging out at RR stations, especially the freight station where his bulk cookie loads are delivered. There's not much room on the apron this time of year, what with all the Christmas shipments.

This prewar Chicago Flyer station is another building which was "somewhat less than mint" when we got it. After straightening and repainting the roof and base, the only parts left with their original finish are the walls. Usually this accessory carries different lithography, but it seems AF used the walls for their signal tower on this piece instead of the usual freight depot walls. I prefer the colors of this version, but there are no doors on the place! :confused:

Attachments

• Freightst1a.jpg
    Freightst1a.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 244

Lady_Railfan

Chuck, you never cease to amaze me. Have you ever thought of putting this all together in a book? Your posts are always the high point of my day!!!

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Hey! that's another new one!
Your posts are always the high point of my day!!!
I agree Claudia and right now I needed that to sweeten my sour disposition. Sheesh! you just can't deal with a dingbat. ( Not my wife) It's one who is supposed to be arranging a Christmas party. First it was a gift swap ( no one knows each other very well) then someone told her there would be problems so then it was off. The someone said something else then it was on again, so I spent $50 on a couple of gifts and some one told her maybe we should take something for the food bank, when I read the email I blew the cork! AH! well! life's like that. Thanks for the smile Chuck, cookie monster is always welcome around here.
Cheers Willis

Guy64

Well, shucks.

That's quite a compliment, folks! But if I put this stuff in a book I'd get sued by the producers of Sesame Street, Star Wars, Gumby, Rudolph the RNR, and a few others, not to mention Hallmark. Lionel would probably hit me up for a few bucks too. I'd be in big trouble, that's for sure.

Lady_Railfan

Oh Darn!! I guess we'll just have to be satisfied to count ourselves among the lucky few who can enjoy your delightful creations!

Guy64

Back when a certain nephew of mine was a little tyke, he was heavily into Lego. He joined the club. Literally. As a result, he could buy special edition sets that weren't sold in any store. Since his uncle (me) is in "the biz", he decided to get me this TV truck set, complete with a camera operator, whose producers are always on the lookout for local talent...

Hmm. I'm thinking "flatcar load"...

Attachments

• CONCERT1d.jpg
    CONCERT1d.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 246

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.