"Scale Tinplate" Christmas

Chuck what a wonderful Christmas scene. A nativity, carolers and those enjoying the performance, certainly worthy of a TV special I think.
Cheers Willis

Those paying really REALLY close attention may have noticed that in the last few pix Tinplate Mountain looks a bit different than in the overall view posted early in this thread. That's because Tinplate Mountain was not always the majestic, ski-able peak it now is. It was originally an AF tunnel that I got for Christmas in...uh, 1961, I think it was. Actually, the entire layout looked much different in 1987, its first year as a permanent layout.

Though all of the track that would ever be used was there at the start, many of the first few plaster buildings still needed paint. Many accessories and other features would be added a little at a time each winter.

Attachments

• CHRISTMAS87b.JPG
    CHRISTMAS87b.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:
A year later, things looked much more "pulled together." The first wave of buildings were all painted, and a years worth of scouring swap meets, craft stores and junk stores had paid off with interesting finds.

Unfortunately, the white tree mat that served as our blanket of snow was already turning very yellow.

Attachments

• CHRISTMAS88b.JPG
    CHRISTMAS88b.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 174
Hi Chuck, is it safe to assume we are at the start of things? Hope so, as it will be interesting to see how it progressed to what it is today.
Cheers Willis

1987 was the first year for this permanent layout. Before that, it was just some sectional track on a sheet on the floor around a 1:1 scale Christmas tree. Traditional, but unfulfilling from a mrr standpoint. (Plus, our incontinent old cat tended to relieve herself on the mainline. Can you say "INSTANT RUST"?)

More changes were made for 1989. By then the white tree mat was too yellow to look anything like snow, so we ripped it up (it was glued on) and made removeable, washable snow out of polyester felt. Individual sections of it are held in place with Velcro at critical points. Each section is hand washed about every 3 years.

Roads are represented by gray fabric strips glued to the base board. We don't bother to wash the roads, though they do get vacuumed every year.

1989 saw other changes as well. How many can you see compared to the previous year?

Attachments

• CHRISTMAS89b.jpg
    CHRISTMAS89b.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 178
Real estate development was rapid in those first few years. One of the most appreciated businesses in town is this ice cream parlor, painted by Di...

Attachments

• SWEETSHP2.jpg
    SWEETSHP2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 162
Even when it was just a beat-up old AF tunnel, Tinplate Mountain was inhabited... with dinosaurs!:eek:

Attachments

• 89DinoTunl1b.jpg
    89DinoTunl1b.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 168
Though 0-to-S conversions are no longer needed for variety, the wife-unit still needs an occasional sheet metal fix. Restored AF and Marx are the most likely subjects, but the results are seldom like the originals.

This Farmall flat was the first conversion of a Marx 6 inch 4 wheel car that I attempted. Much cutting and filing was needed to make the base accept AF trucks. Link trucks are used on these for their sheet metal look. The car number (1990) indicates that this piece was Di's Christmas present for 1990. (Cryptic, huh?)

The McCormick tractor on the left has since been replaced with another Farmall.

Attachments

• Farmalls1a.jpg
    Farmalls1a.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 170
Bertie the Bus pauses at the station crossing to wait for a rare appearance of Pacific Electric #377 ca. 1993.
Holiday traffic in Tinplate Corners can become quite a problem. The shops are known for hundreds of miles around, and the "atmosphere" is irresistible. No matter. C+D executives are always looking for an excuse to unleash light rail passenger equipment that otherwise spends most of its time in the C+D Transportation Museum. Congested surface streets are a reason made to order.

The Brill "Safety Car" was, as far as I know, actually a narrow gauge car. Still, this rendering by Putt Trains doesn't look out of place at all. Not on a tinplate layout, anyway.

Attachments

• trolley1b.jpg
    trolley1b.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 166
Hey! the trolly I like, fits right in. However Bertie the Bus is going to have a heck of a bump when he crosses the tracks. The transport behind Bertie seems to have a long load for town traffic. Reminds me of a problem in the Town of Pictou close by. There was a traffic regulatory sign on a power pole which the transports with pup trailers used to knock off the pole on a regular bassis, so they left the sign off, However the town legal advisor informed them they could be sued for not having the regulatory sign up where it could be seen. Ah well I guess we have a tin plate corners every where :D

Cheers Willis

CB&CNSfan said:
Hey! the trolly I like, fits right in. However Bertie the Bus is going to have a heck of a bump when he crosses the tracks. The transport behind Bertie seems to have a long load for town traffic.
One of the many things on our "to-do" list is making proper crossing grades. Only the most robust off-road vehicle could make the crossing seen above. Still, it's never been a terribly high priority, this layout being tinplate. (The modular system is another story.)

As for the Wonder Bread pup trailers, eventually we intend to load them on their own designated flatcar, which will keep them out of the downtown area.

The reason for the season...

This bone china nativity set was found at a local craft store (the chain no longer exists) for one year only, back in the 1980s. The figures are scale height, though not scale proportioned. We have yet to find a better, more appropriate set in this size. Some things just work out the first time. The reclining camel in the foreground is a ceramic figurine.

The "stable" is part of an amethyst geode we found at Calico Ghost Town years ago. It has been pointed out to us that in many cases the stables used in Bethlehem at the time of the Lord's birth were actually built in caves, not as wooden buildings as most Christmas displays depict. So we're not only prototypic here, but downright Biblical!

Attachments

• 5874Nativ1.JPG
    5874Nativ1.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 163
Celebrating His first arrival, awaiting His Return...

Attachments

• Xmassta2.jpg
    Xmassta2.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 159
One of our reasons for building a permanent off-the-floor Christmas layout was to make the whole thing less tempting and less accessible to cats. Our last floor layout in 1986 had been "anointed" by our incontinent 18-year-old fuzzball, Sooba.

Bumper, another feline demolition unit we adopted, could better control his bodily functions but the 20 inch leap to the layout was no obstacle for him. Here he ambushes our Royal Blue steamer, which he may have thought was a big blue rat...

Attachments

• BUMPNENG1b.jpg
    BUMPNENG1b.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 171
Since Christmas 2004 has now passed, let's take a look at more scenes from past Christmases...

Before the grey streets were put down in 1989, the roads were just as snowy as the rest of the ground. This view down Gilbert Blvd. from 1988, without the street lights and other additions, has a much more snowed-in, unincorporated, desolate look than now.

Attachments

• GILBLVD88b.jpg
    GILBLVD88b.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Well with a good administration towns do improve, but you have to pay the taxes though :D
Cheers Willis

The first Marx 6" car converted to S gauge in the C+D shops as a designated Christmas present is this Christmas tree flatcar. The base is from an 8-wheel tender (I think). I found the piece in a pile of junk on a seller's table at a local TTOS meet. When I asked about the price, the seller said, "You wanna BUY that?!?" I gave her $1. Di thought the price might have been higher if the seller knew what it would become: Di's first Christmas car, for 1989...

Attachments

• 1989CHRISCAR.jpg
    1989CHRISCAR.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 186
Now, I knew the Space Program was a bit strapped for cash, but I didn't know NASA was making the astronauts ride with the equipment on the ground!

Maybe this particular hobo just got a space suit for Christmas...

Attachments

• SpaceFlat1a.jpg
    SpaceFlat1a.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 180
Many of the best railfanning photo spots are off the beaten track, or at least a ways from the station. We got to this frozen spot just in time to catch this switcher paused at the freight depot...

This Santa Fe SW9 was the first S Helper Service locomotive we bought. It has been a trouble free workhorse ever since it was new, as seen in this 1998 pic.

If only SHS also made big, mainline diesels currently in use like, say, a GE... ;)

Attachments

• SFSW9Dpo1a.jpg
    SFSW9Dpo1a.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 169

Back