"Scale Tinplate" Christmas

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Guy64

Yep, Greg, as well as both SD60s. You thinking of getting one?;)

There are a couple of minor tweaks I've done with all 3 locos. Since they do run on 19" curves once in a while, I had to file down the ends of the coupler shanks so the hi-rail couplers can pivot on the trucks, as well as with the trucks.

Also, there was an occasional derailing problem on 19" curves. The lead wheel would climb the outer rail. After breaking them in, I opened the trucks to see how they were designed, and found that a few of the coil springs on the 1st and 3rd axles were compressed too much. I stretched them so that all were the same length (leaving about 1/16" of the square bushings sticking up from the gear housing before reassembly), checked the contact wiper tension (often too much from the factory). No problems after these adjustments.

All that was done to the U25B as well.

Guy64

Like Luigi, Guido was disappointed by the lack of Ferraris over the holidays. He dealt with the disappointment by getting some exercise, such as helping Cookie Monster with cartons of cookies.

"Pit stop?"

Attachments

• 1754GuidonCM2.jpg
    1754GuidonCM2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 401
Last edited by a moderator:

Guy64

So that's Tinplate Corners, through 2006. The Christmas layout is down now, for the first time since 2003. The citizens of TC are sleeping, Brigadoon-like, until November of 2007 (or so). Prospective tourists will not be able to find the place 'til then.

G'bye for now!

Attachments

• 1747Smoman2.jpg
    1747Smoman2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 391

Skip

The RR crossing at South Gilbert Blvd is widely photographed, probably because Tinplate Corners Station is located right here. Heavy rail traffic through this artery provides plenty of subjects.

This "moon rocket" must be somebody's Christmas present.
The stubby-but-versatile little Marx flatcar makes a perfect vehicle.

Is this two-rail S American Flyer or 3-rail O gauge? And did you perhaps change the trucks on the Marx 3/16" scale "027" size flatcar to run on two-rail S track?
Well, whatever you did, I enjoyed it... :D
Skip

Guy64

Skip...

The layout is 2-rail AF and yes, that Marx flat has been converted to S gauge. Glad you enjoyed it!

And for some reason, the original pix disappeared from this entire thread. Restoration is now complete! :rolleyes:

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.