Sawmill complex

I think one of the problems is over saturation and there's alot of RED (channel) in the photos. with a little colour balancing and less saturation your could get them right urself Ron. Nicely done Larry, and nice work on that complex RON

Looking Good!!
Now all you need is an log deck,Barker,sawmill,storage sheds,and an dryer.
LOL nice work!!
JIM
P.S.I worked six years in an Bosie Mill here in Oregon.

Thanks oleirish. Just so happens I have a bandsaw mill, planing mill, kiln, plus three more lumber storage sheds to build. Then I will be scratch building a lath and stave mill, kindling wood factory, boiler house, powerhouse and debarker. If I have any more room I will keep building. Ron.

Well, after a long time I have finally had the time to finish the second half of Saez Sash and door. These two buildings will be joined together by a pipe from the cyclone to the side of the mill building. There are still a few details to add but it is basically finished.

Wow, excellent job Ron!
I'd love to do a sawmill on the upper level but I'm running out of space.
Looking forward to seeing the progress...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. I am hoping my modelling gets better as I experiment with the staining of the wood and the weathering. This is only the 3rd craftsman kit I have built, but by the time I finish the fifty or so that I have left to build I am hoping to be at least half the modeller that some of the fellows on the forum are. I still haven't decided what will be the next project on my to do list. What do you think Larry? I've got 1 plastic kit in my collection. Maybe I should try something new. Perhaps a Danby sawmill. Nice little kit with detailed interior. Just right for a layout with hardly any room left like yours, Rico. By the way would like to see your layout sometime. Thanks again, Ron.

Well, I got my wife to pick the next project. Guess what Larry, I'm going plastic. I can see this kit is all about painting. Something that I have very little experience in. Here is a picture of the kit, right out of the box. Sure not much to it. This kit is a drying kiln by Keystone Locomotive Works. This is kit 4 of 9 in a long out of production series of kits they made to create a full size sawmill. I am still trying to find kits 6 and 7, the lath and stave mill and the storage yard and tracks. I have never seen either of these kits anywhere so not sure if they ever did produce them although I know kit 9, the company store was released. Anyone out there know?

Some beautiful work, Ron. Inspiring - I've got a wood depot kit that I'm procrasting starting. Your work might move it up a notch ;o) Thanks for posting.

Ron, although Keystone still catalogs items, I think they are close to going out of business. I haven't been able to find a Keystone kit in stock anywhere in the last year. I think your best bet is e-bay. Nice looking work so far on the mill and I think you'll like the plastic kit. Keystone made a lot of unique items for logging railroads but I'm afraid they are about to join the many other small model companies in the model railroad graveyard. :(

The only kits that seem to still be redily available are the Danby Sawmill and the kindling factory. The rest have been long out of production. I bought all my kits on ebay as none of the local hobby stores here carry any of the Keystone stuff. I have seen all the kits for sale on ebay except the Lathe and Stave Mill and the Storage yard and tracks. Noone seems to know if they were ever produced. Ron

Keystone is NOT out of business, however there was a slow time for them these past few years.

The lady that runs KLW is trying to redeem the company, and is making more and more kits all of the time. The only real place that gets the new kits is the Shay Railroad Shop in Cass, WV. I've bought many kits from them this year down there including a Banjo siginal, the Danby Sawmill, a wood kindling factory, an HO Shay, and many log cars (Climax, and the New Mexico Lumbers)

Here's the contact info... http://tiny.cc/klw

(BTW, this summer, she had to raise her prices on all of the kits. $29 Danby Sawmills are now about $49, and I can imagine the Shays are pushing $75...

Phil

Thanks for the link. Now maybe I can get in contact with the manufacturer. You can still find the shay kits pretty often on ebay for around $45.00, but Northwest Short Line no longer makes the motorizing kit for them. If you can find one on ebay it will run you about twice what the loco is worth. Apparently Keystone wouldn't supply them the parts they need to make the motor kits. I would be great if they brought back all the kits in the sawmill. The bandsaw mill is a really nice kit with full detailed interior but would probably be pretty pricey. They sell for about $120.00 to $150.00 when they come up.

Very nice work. On a side, thought, how funny would it be to have the wood mill made out of plastic ?!?! :eek:

I just purchased two DPM Gold models for my layout and have really started to look at the finer details some kits have over others.

From what I've been seeing, I think a wood kit is going on the list for me to try, they just look stellar.

Hi Loco. Nothing looks more like wood than the real thing. It is a little tricky to work with though. Have to make sure you do all staining before it is assembled. If you glue it together first anywhere you happen to get some glue on the wood, the stain won't take and will end up a different color. If you are after maximum realizm you may want to try the craftsman style kits instead of the lazer cut kits. Craftsman kits are slower to build , but the results are much nicer. The other alternative is to use a lazer kit with stripwood for the trim instead of the lazer cut plywood that comes with the kits. Makes for a lot nicer structure.

Back