Sawmill complex

rlundy90

Armchair Engineer
This is the first building in my sawmill complex. Still a planing mill, bandsaw mill kiln, powerhouse and a few other structures to go.Ron

Attachments

• Saez Sash and Door 028.jpg
    Saez Sash and Door 028.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 289
Thanks. The corrugated part of the roof came with the kit,but is available from Campbell Scale models. The cedar shakes on the chip storage loft are cut from sheets of cedar available from Seirra Scale models. They are applied one at a time. Ron

There are lots of things nowadays to use for modeling, but I'm that type of person who likes to look around me and see from all the scrap and other stuff what I can use :p, I know there are many like me out there as well. I like to open and make my creative part of teh brain work, cause in the 21st Century most of that people's part of the brain is in hybernation :p Model RRers brains have that part working a little :p some have it working overtime :D

So is that building in plastic or wood, cause if its wood, personally I never saw wooden kits, except for ships.

Do you intend to place that on ur layout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Max. That is a wooden kit. The roof and floors are card with a corrugated aluminum roof on the main structure and cedar shingles on the loft. I have only built one plastic kit and didn't care for it much. I like the look of the wooden buildings much better. It will be going on my layout once it is built, along with about another 40-50 wooden structures I am building. Ron

Very nice structure.

I have been away from the hobby for a number of years and recently began building a new layout. I just finished 2 wood kits. I think they are far superior to the plastic kits I used to buy.

Hi Ray. That kit is from Campbell Scale Models and is half of thier Saez Sash and Door Kit. This is kit 416 the millhouse. I am building the other half now that consists of the lumber rack, sawdust hopper and machine shed. They are joined together by a sawdust chute later with the railway tracks in the middle. Here is a pic of what this building will look like finished. Ron

I did a similar mining building years back in HO scale - built completely from balsa strips and "scale" timbers. Its packed away - i'll have to find it and take a couple of pictures.

Excellent work. The finished complex will be something to see for sure. I just recieved my first wood kits and was wondering from your experience what type of glue have you had the best results with? Keep posting pics. Potsie

Hi Postie. I use yellow carpenters glue with excellent results. The one I use is called Titebond 11. A 1 quart bottle is around $10.00-$12.00 and lasts a long time. It is waterproof and very strong. It dries fairly clear with a slight yellow tint. Any good woodworking glue will work. I stay away from the white glues due to long drying times. This gets dry enough to handle in about 10 min.Ron

Ron, do you plan to stain all the buildings or paint some? I did a sawmill kind of like yours many moons ago and the only problem I had was my sloppy gluing made painting some parts necessary because the stain wouldn't take. I'm sure you're gluing is a lot better than mine though. :)

HI UP2CSX. I stain all the wood before I do any building If I have to cut some wood I touch it up after. I will be painting some of the buildings also. The first 2 are meant to be the oldest, Therefore no paint left on them. The next few will have some very faded paint with one building being in fairly good shape so it will look the newest. Ron.

Hi Ray. That kit is from Campbell Scale Models and is half of thier Saez Sash and Door Kit. This is kit 416 the millhouse. I am building the other half now that consists of the lumber rack, sawdust hopper and machine shed. They are joined together by a sawdust chute later with the railway tracks in the middle. Here is a pic of what this building will look like finished. Ron

You've done a beautiful job with this kit!

I didn't know Campbell made a kit called "Saez Sash and Door" and for me, that begs the question, was it named for Andy Saez? Andy is a former Santa Fe employee who lives in Durango, Colorado and has an 8 acre± lot with a large scale live steam layout and an HO layout in the house. At the time I was involved in the Durango Model Railroad Club, Andy and Leo Campbell were both members, so it would be interesting to find out the origin of that kit's name. Curious...

Anyway, again, great modeling!

over saturation

Hey Ron....those pictures don't do justice to your work because they are all over saturated. The chroma level is almost at 200% ! I took the liberty of adjusting the satuation level in my Photo Shop. I think we can all see it better now.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thanks Larry. You nailed those pics dead on. I put the model up against the pics and it is almost a dead match.I have been having lots of problems trying to get the proper colors with my new camera. Also can't seem to get really sharp focus either. My old 3.1 MP seemed to give me better pictures. Will have some new pics soon of the other building. It is about 75% done now. Thanks again, Ron.

Back