Santa Fe Sunday

My contribution this week. A Pullman Standard 2983 cu ft covered hopper used to haul sugar. It's an Athearn RTR. A few background covered hoppers are also in the picture. The one on the left is an Accurail model of an AFC 4600 cu ft hopper. The one on the right is a P2K model of a Pullman Standard 4427 cu ft hopper.View attachment 146895
Old boxcar used for maintenance storage. This is probably an Athearn Blue Box.
View attachment 146896
Another Pullman Standard covered hopper. This one is a 4427 cu ft from P2K.
View attachment 146897
Nice layout👍

My Santa Fe addiction,..
I don't know if it is an addiction but definitely ingrained from childhood. Both my Uncle and Grand Parents farms were on the north mainline.

This used to be my Uncles. Where I've marked in red is the irrigation well, which feeds a cemented ditch all the way around the field. As a child I spent hours putting in, moving, and taking out irrigation tubes that siphoned the water over the edge of the ditch into the rows plowed in the field. You can see the track running all along behind. Got to watch the parade of Santa Fe trains passing buy, mostly in the misty morning. Chief, Super Chief, El Capitan, Grand Canyon, Fast Mail & Express. Did a lot for me liking the road.

Granada Colorado.PNG

At the time the whole thing was fenced. This is also where they kept the horses (Iron Horsman you know),.

But this is much of what the mainline through western Kansas and eastern Colorado looks like. Field after field after meadow. Irrigated and green, not irrigated and dry with sagebrush or cactus.

Last edited:
I guess I haven't posted an actual model railroading pic in a while (I've got more prototype photos readily available, it's usually faster to grab one of those off my computer). So here's an ATSF F45 sitting at the end of the power track in the yard. Coupled behind is another Santa Fe unit, a GP38.

52629697366_b6af56f767_o.jpg

It's about time for me to get back onboard with this thread. Here are some random Santa Fe freight cars from around the layout.
That's a pair of Accurail ACF covered hoppers behind an Athearn 60' gondola. Gondola hasn't been in service enough to be weathered.
IMG_2923.JPG

Here's a pair of PS-2 36' 2-bay covered hoppers, the one on the left is from Atlas, and the one on the right is from Athearn, courtesy of the Roundhouse acquisition.
IMG_2924 (3).JPG

Here I have a Walther's Airslide Covered Hopper on the left with an Accurail 50' boxcar on the right.
IMG_2926.JPG

See ya next week.

Back