Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 109E. A famous one at that (don't remember who had the R-shield but have seen many pics of it). looks fun. I bought some Panther tank models like 25 years ago but have not opened them yet. I did do a bunch of modeling back in my youth and would like to have done some with my son when he was growing up but we ended up doing other things.

Enjoy the modeling!
From digging here. The pilot was Major Helmut Wick. He was commander of 1 Gruppe/Jagdeswader 2. The R stands for Richthofen. The Red Barron. This unit saw a lot of action during the battle of Britain. The Spitfire MK1 I put together belongs to the pilot who shot down Maj Wick. The English pilot was John Dundas. He flew with the No. 609 Squadron. He was shot down by Wicks wingman. Both pilots were listed as MIA. Talk about a turn of events.....

Orioles to wear No. 5 patch for Brooks Robinson​

Beginning Wednesday and for the remainder of the season, the Orioles will wear a “5″ patch on their jerseys to commemorate the life and legacy of Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson, who died Tuesday at the age of 86.

Additionally, any fans who wish to visit the Robinson statue inside Oriole Park will be able to do so between Wednesday and Sunday from 7 a.m. until four hours before the first pitch. Those visiting are asked to enter via Camden Street, the team says.

The Orioles also added a black and orange No. 5 to the B&O Warehouse in right field.

©2023 Baltimore Sun. Visit baltimoresun.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who had a yummy supper.

It's Troy again.

Took a nap this afternoon. I must still be catching up on sleep from the conference last week. Been sleeping into 5 (an hour later than normal) and still needing a nap.

Wife wanted a good dinner with lots of pasta for leftovers, so we went to our second favorite Italian place. More expensive and bigger portions than the favorite, otherwise food is just as good.

Wife's Chicken Parm:
View attachment 174590

My Calzone with lots o meat!

View attachment 174591

Tomorrow is doctor driving day. Wife and her sis drive the "honorary sis"/loooooong time family friend (and roomie to sis) down to IU Medical for the interview to get on the liver transplant list. Knowing how bad she is with her medical issues, she just barely qualifies for the list. :eek:

And I get to drive the other direction, to take my mother to the doc for her 6 mos checkup. Speaking of liver transplants, my mother got her transplant 25 years ago. It's her heart trying to do her in, not her current liver.

I'm still struggling to get back to writing. Been doing all of the admin stuff, shopping, and everything but wording the words. Need to tackle that tomorrow morning. Hope to get it going.

Safe travels to Tom O and everyone else on the road tomorrow.
thanks we are in Independence, Missouri where the Midwest ModelRR rolls up the sidewalk and locks down the store at 5PM. Traffic was decent and moving very well until the last 8 miles that took 20 minutes. Truman museum tomorrow morning and Eisenhower’s 2.5 hours (Abilene, Kansas) away in the afternoon. We will hit Midwest Model RR on Friday heading to St. Charles. It’s not 1 mile or so off the Interstate

Good Morning All. Clear, bright and 69°, should reach 96° later today. Yesterday was only 95°. Still no rain in sight.

Weekly grocery trek is today, the list is rather full already before I even ask my wife what she wants added. Both the fridge and the two freezers are getting more empty, as we have actually been making a concerted effort to reduce what's in there. Gotta make room for the bread that I will bake when it is more practical to use the oven for extended periods of time. In reality, our use of bread has been cut by more than 2/3rds in the last four years due to carb counting and reduction. On the subject of carb reduction, I really miss the rice that we used to have at least once a week, along with most potatoes. I still work in a generous helping of French Fries at least once a month. I have substituted smashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes with great success. Sadly, no reduction in pasta which I dearly love. For comparison, an average serving of rice has 44 grams of carbs, a potato has 26 grams, a slice of average bread is 15 grams, average serving of pasta has 14 grams, and the beer that I buy has 11 grams per 12-oz bottle. I guess that beer is the way to go.

An absolutely great visit to the vascular surgeon yesterday. He had looked over all of the recent ultrasound results and did some feeling and listening; then announced that he saw no need for me to see him again unless something went really wrong. All of the blood flow was actually above average for my age, in his words. He expressed surprise that my primary care doc sent me to him to begin with. This was actually the second time that this has happened, another false alarm back in 2020. In his defense, my PCP is an internist, not knowing a lot about arteries and veins. I go back to him for my quarterly next Monday.

I did some more work on the Motor Inn yesterday out in the train shed. However it was not as fruitful as I wanted or expected. While the structure is 95% complete, there is a problem.
IMG_0490.JPG

The stairs don't seem to touch ground.
IMG_0489.JPG

I will need to review the mounting of the two pedestals and the stairs themselves to ensure that I did everything right. While I can add some thick styrene sheets under them, I would rather have it correct to begin with. Meanwhile I will clear out the area that I intend to plant it in.

Patrick - Seems to me that your body is telling you to take a day or two off from the physical labor. My advice is to listen to it and pace yourself. It will become a necessity as you advance in years.
Troy - Happy to say that I have been able to give up the peepers after the cataract surgery. I hated them as I only had to start wearing them four years ago.
I always make the doctor's office give me an appointment card, and put it in the phone later when I am home and relaxed; I never do it when standing at the counter.
Guy - Good to see you again. Like Curt's area, we have only green and brown leaves. I like Terry's suggestion regarding the rowboat.
Justin - I don't remember the last time that you stopped in either, but good to see you again. Good luck with the relocation quest.
James - I still count the cars on passing trains when I can.

Everybody have a great and productive day.

What, only one train stop. I guess the exploring part of the trip could be hobby shops. 🙂🙂
Have a safe trip Tom.
Tom, there is always a chance or time to visit a LHS. But I am really spoiled with Hiawatha Hobbies so close and Lombard also withinn125 miles.

There are a couple places in Missouri that I wanted to stop as I buy from them. But the one that was selling me the BLMA/Atlas reefers at super prices in January replied they have no storefront, but was invited to pickup at his warehouse space. The other is Iron Planet but no replies to multiple emails and phone calls the last 10 days. I have a few FB friends based in St. Louis and I just asked them to recommend stops to make! If not when we go through the old stomping grounds in Chicago we can stop at Des Plaines, Lombard and Grayland

Well, Doggies you all! Weather around here is on hold; temp remains in the mid 50's to low 80's with sunny skies.
FLO - If MEL has the griddle hot - I would like an Omelet of some sort - surprise me!

The new dryer came yesterday along with kitchen appliances; the dryer was installed and working putting smiles on everyone's faces while the kitchen stuff is filling up the garage and taking up, once again, my Railroad space.
I have no idea when the remodeling will take place as now she has been hung up on backsplash tile and countertops. It may be another month or two before any work is actually done?

FLO - a refil in the coffee department, please - TROY, can you see me now?

CURT - I have to do some grocery shopping this morning as well. I have not been in an "brick" store in awhile - just order everything for P/U curbside. I should get out more - need the exercise!

TomO - safe travels -- I have not been to the Eisenhower museum - does the Truman Library twice count?

JUSTIN - Nice models ... I built many of those in the 50's. I tried to keep them all in the 1/4 inch scale ... loved it. 10 cents for a bottle of Testors paint - good times!

GUY - Terry has a good idea there for the boat?

Later, Gator!

Morning all,

Busy since I got here this morning and really the first chance to post. Currently very light with a temp of 82°. Going for a record high of 95° later today. Got everything except the shower curtain back up in the basement bathroom. Have floor trim to redo and a toilet when the flooring is in.

Gotta get serious about the moving of stuff. I'm taking off the couple of days they need to do the floor. We decided to save a bunch by doing part of it myself, such as moving appliances, trim, toilets. They wanted $400 for a plumber to remove and reinstall the toilets. Since we have been wanting to replace them due to unremovable lime scale buildup, we using that time to do just that. Since I've done toilets before, it's not worth that kind of money to pay to do that. Trim molding is also no big deal, so extra money in my pocket.

Willie: I don't disagree, but I'm also cheap, or at least frugal. Much of what we're doing to the house has needed to be done, but we had been concentrating on getting it paid off. We're finally at the point to get some of this done and still have the house paid off early. We still need carpet on the main level and then convert the tub\shower combo into a walk in shower.

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a walk at 75F and humid. After breakfast MOH and I went to a couple of grocery stores. Tonight, we're going to Sonnys BBQ. Dad's VFW post is doing a fundraiser there. Tomorrow I'm heading out to visit with my buddy Jon.

James- Really nice T-shirt.

Troy- Dad has issues with that also.

Willie- Great news from the doc.

TomO- Have fun on your trip. It sounds like a full agenda.

Louis- Norman Rockwell did great American life paintings before it turned into the current s**t show.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, all! It's been one of those days where you have about 2 dozen little chores or tasks to get done. Nothing big, just lots of time-consuming things. I did manage to get them all done. I mistakenly wore my red shirt to Target, long story short, I'm filling in for Debbie on Saturday. 😆
I did get a little train time in, but it was just train watching.
STAY SAFE
LATER

Unusual livery for a GP38-2, and it comes with it's own caboose too. I wonder who the manufacturer is ??? 🤣

View attachment 174633

View attachment 174634
Seller wants $58 for it inc postage, it's DC (obviously,) no idea if the light works, but as we all know that's no biggie to either replace or upgrade to an LED, so what do you think, (and I know how you all like spending someone else's money, 😂 😂) Is it worth it or not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back