Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
American League Eastern Division Champions - Baltimore Orioles!
1696006824243.png

Ain't the beer cold!

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a visit with Jon. I spent the morning BS'ing. He did complete 7 more Pennsy dwarf signals, so I have some more electrical work to do. I may go to Tom's tomorrow but I'm not sure yet.

Congrats to all the Orioles fans in the forum.

Willie- Nice job on the build. It reminds me of a Howard Johnson's for some reason (don't ask me why). The open area on the bottom reminds me also of a restaurant on the OK turnpike that straddled the road (you ate above the road) during the 60's when we traveled from El Paso to east OH. It is nice it's from your Mom.

Dave- Sounds like a fun trip.

Guy- Nice MOW photo. I must say MOH didn't seem to agree with your second photo! :rolleyes:

I hope everyone has a good night.

Another adventure heading to Home Depot yesterday. I see 3 Sheriff's cars had someone pulled over a few stores down with it looked like to be a car full of dresses. I guess maybe stolen from one of the clothing stores in the small mall. My friend who worked in the prison system his whole life said there's a no bail law in NY they'll be out in a few hours. Every other time I go to the store lately someone's stealing something. I have to take a look at the 45 stocks we have to make sure none of them practice the steal what you want policy. I'll be getting rid of them. They won't be in business much longer.
Swal

Good afternoon, all! Well maybe one more day of upper 90 degree weather. There was a threat of rain, but merely a threat. Not a lot going on here. I did add a couple more signals to the layout. I can only work so long with these lights. I guess it's old age, but the hair like wires drive me crazy.
1696024564289.jpeg

A looking down the track
1696024633372.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those vying for the California Senate Appointment

It's Troy again

Had an interesting evening last night. visited a bookstore and a cat.

bookstore.jpg

That's Scout, one of the resident felines at Hyde Bros Books in Fort Wayne Indiana. And it was "Last Thursday"... seems they have local authors in on the last Thursday of every month for readings.

I'll be doing a reading next month, on the 26th... right before Halloween. Yep, it'll be a spooky reading.

And, two days before that, I'll put my author shirt on again. Yes, I have an author shirt. It has spooky skeletons for the spooky books I write...

On Oct 24th I'll be in Niles Michigan at the Niles Brewing Company for their boozy bookclub. My sister is a member and talked them into inviting me. Guess I'll be doing a different reading there since one of my characters is based on my niece. Better keep that one in the family, so to speak.

As far as I know, there are no cats at the Niles Brewing Company, but, I'll ask when I get there.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 76.
I picked up a slightly used Scale Trains C39-8 on the evil auction site, and it arrived yesterday in the mail. It has 5 hours' runtime on it, and obviously looks and works like new. It's going to be used as a mate to the C40-9 I already have. I discovered some time ago, unless you want to have a 3 or 4 car train on my temp layout, you need two or more engines.
For those that don't know, Loksound decoders have hour meters built in, if you know where to look, and have one of their programmers.

Lordy, Mercy - Been awake for a couple hours already!
Another line or two and I am crawling back in the sack!
Forecast is calling for "some" rain showers? Yesterday said clear and sunny for today?

Back in the rack - Wake me when FRANCINE opens the door!

Good morning all. A cloudy day with rain forecast later.
Birthday party time. Late September, all October to begininng of November, birthdays and more birthdays.
Party for daughter and grandson today.

Not seen the train room for a month. Have bought some rolling stock and buildings though. :cool:

Morning all,

71° and clear with a record breaking temp of 95°. Old record is 91°. Expecting to break another tomorrow as well.

Up early as granddaughters are sleeping and the dogs had to go out. Gotta leave in a couple of hours to take the oldest to a volleyball game and then leave them with their parents. They then are leaving to go hunting in New Mexico. SIL got a trophy elk license and the daughter got an antelope license this year.

Good Morning All. Clear, bright full moon and 72° on this last day of September. 95° for the high yesterday and expecting the same until Tuesday. Highs next weekend in the lower 70's with lows in the 50's. At least that's what the weather geeks are predicting.

Plans changed yesterday after I got a phone call from the dermatologist regarding a skin scraping from my left hand that he took last week. The biopsy came back with some minor skin cancer; we've gone through this before in the same spot about 4 years ago. They had an opening yesterday and could take me in for a follow-up ED&C, (electrodesiccation and curettage), big words for more scraping and cauterization. It went quickly, I was in the office for a whole 11 minutes! While I was in town, I did go and get my ears lowered. No beard trim as I did that myself last week in a vain attempt at losing weight. Got home in time for lunch and the usual nap. Later in the evening after the afternoon dip in the pool, I grilled a "Nolan Ryan Angus Rib Eye" for supper. For the first time ever, I baked a sweet potato in the air fryer instead of heating the kitchen (and whole house) with the oven. Sauteed mushrooms/onions and garden salad completed the meal. Must have done a good job because my wife who normally doesn't eat a lot of steak, had seconds!
I almost didn't make the appointment due to a horrific one car accident on SB IH35. Car appeared to have left the freeway and rolled over many times at high speed and landed upside down. It was badly mangled and none of the wheels were in their normal position. Ten police cars, ambulance, fire rescue and highway dept personnel were there, all standing around looking at the car. I decided that there was a death involved which my wife later confirmed was reported on Facebook. I looked up the story on the Internet, but the newspaper has a subscribers only paywall. On the way home, the crane was there to pick the wreckage up and the traffic backup was over ten miles. On the way in, I was fortunate to spot the much shorter at the time backup and exited onto the frontage road for about 1.5 miles. I reentered less than a quarter mile from the actual accident, so the delay was minimal. Some truckers who were not familiar with the area learned soon that the frontage road ends at the BNSF RR tracks (right after my reentry point), and they would have to circle back to the northbound frontage road and rejoin the queue.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished up the Motor Inn. I added a couple of simple roof details, not many, but even a small amount makes a difference on structures.
IMG_0495.JPG

Added a maintenance man to the roof of one wing checking out the guardrail.
IMG_0496.JPG

I found a newspaper seller in the figure box.
IMG_0498.JPG

He is temporarily on the bottom step, but will be moved when the building gets firmly planted.
Tentative location here for the structure.
IMG_0500.JPG

Neither of the flanking structures will be there in the final scheme, it's just temporary storage.

Sherrel - It seems like you are on Louis's sleep schedule with wake-up soon after midnight.
Swal - I don't think that stores like the "steal what you want" policy either, but employee safety, liability and insurance play a large role in that policy decision.
I saw a video of looters in Philadelphia complaining the other day, because the Apple phones that they had stolen were quickly disabled and also making a loud alarm sound. It did lead police to arrest a few, although they were probably released later due to the no-bail policy.

Is it Saturday already? Seems like every day is a Saturday any more.
Everybody have a great day.

I've returned from my biweekly grocery excursion. I had a minor electronic disaster earlier this week--I dropped my iPad on the concrete floor at work, and managed to kick it into a steel shelf on its way down in a futile attempt to catch it. So, I've been looking for a used one, so I don't have a thousand dollar paperweight. I've been looking on Fecesbook marketplace, and I've rediscovered how sketchy that is. In addition to people wanting a gazillion dollars for a ten-buck item, there seems to be a subset that lists stuff for sale, responds that they have it, and when you try to finalize the deal, they stop responding. Usually right after I tell them roughly where I live. And no, I'm not stupid, so I don't give them an address, and the town I name is a few miles away, which shouldn't be an issue since I'm coming to them.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 76F and humid. After breakfast I did some chores. After that I cut 7 sets of wire and tinned the ends. Later I soldered and shrink tubed them to the signals. Tomorrow I'll mount the signals on the layout and let the glue set overnight and then hook them up electrically on Monday. That's the plan anyway. I'll take a couple of photos when complete.

Hughie- Nice job on the lighting. I always attach 26 ga wire to the wire that come with lights and signals to make them easier to attach to the buss wire.

Troy- Congrats on your readings. I love bookstores like that, it seems to me stores like Borders have no soul.

David- Happy Birthday to your daughter and grandson.

Terry- Do you ever have good luck?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back