Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Doggies you all! Weather around here is on hold; temp remains in the mid 50's to low 80's with sunny skies.
FLO - If MEL has the griddle hot - I would like an Omelet of some sort - surprise me!

The new dryer came yesterday along with kitchen appliances; the dryer was installed and working putting smiles on everyone's faces while the kitchen stuff is filling up the garage and taking up, once again, my Railroad space.
I have no idea when the remodeling will take place as now she has been hung up on backsplash tile and countertops. It may be another month or two before any work is actually done?

FLO - a refil in the coffee department, please - TROY, can you see me now?

CURT - I have to do some grocery shopping this morning as well. I have not been in an "brick" store in awhile - just order everything for P/U curbside. I should get out more - need the exercise!

TomO - safe travels -- I have not been to the Eisenhower museum - does the Truman Library twice count?

JUSTIN - Nice models ... I built many of those in the 50's. I tried to keep them all in the 1/4 inch scale ... loved it. 10 cents for a bottle of Testors paint - good times!

GUY - Terry has a good idea there for the boat?

Later, Gator!
Sherrel. NO!

We still need to do Nixon and Reagan on the West coast. Terry doesn’t want to do Nixon but I want to see how they handle Watergate! If we do one we will do both!

Next September will be JFK and FDR Presidential museums, Carter will be next May on a Detour to Altana before going to Austin.we got the rest in

Seller wants $58 for it inc postage, it's DC (obviously,) no idea if the light works, but as we all know that's no biggie to either replace or upgrade to an LED, so what do you think, (and I know how you all like spending someone else's money, 😂 😂) Is it worth it or not ???
I think that's less than the set retailed for in 1996. If you do get it, make sure the couplers on the engine are insulated from the frame. No need to ask how I know to do this...

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a walk at 75F and humid. After breakfast MOH and I went to a couple of grocery stores. Tonight, we're going to Sonnys BBQ. Dad's VFW post is doing a fundraiser there. Tomorrow I'm heading out to visit with my buddy Jon.

James- Really nice T-shirt.

Troy- Dad has issues with that also.

Willie- Great news from the doc.

TomO- Have fun on your trip. It sounds like a full agenda.

Louis- Norman Rockwell did great American life paintings before it turned into the current s**t show.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt

We just go with the flow. Only the hockey games are set. We are sort of known for finding ourselves severely off course at times. Until time stops we are in no rush

I think that's less than the set retailed for in 1996. If you do get it, make sure the couplers on the engine are insulated from the frame. No need to ask how I know to do this...
I think KD couplers or similar are already fitted.
1695939491752.png

I think KD couplers or similar are already fitted.
View attachment 174635
Those look like Kadee #5s. They will need to be insulated, or they will transmit current through the coupler into the rolling stock coupled to it. And if that rolling stock is another Athearn locomotive with Kadee #5 couplers, and it is coupled back-to-back, it will short out the layout.

Those look like Kadee #5s. They will need to be insulated, or they will transmit current through the coupler into the rolling stock coupled to it. And if that rolling stock is another Athearn locomotive with Kadee #5 couplers, and it is coupled back-to-back, it will short out the layout.
Oh! I didn't realise that as I've never made a consist, but I'm unlikely to either on this layout, I can't really pull more than 6 or 7 cars, anything longer and it'll derail on my curves caused by the drag a longer rake produces.
But I'll take note anyway, thanks, maybe one day tho' 🤔

They Clinched AL East title with win # 100, over Boston 2-0. Also, they have a new 30 year lease agreement for the ball park.

Just got back from a 10 day trip to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. Can’t get caught up. Here’s a pic of me “Waitin for a train” that never showed. Hill city SD to Keystone & back 2.5 hr round trip 3 daily. I didn’t know about til too late.

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Good Morning All. Clear and 72° in this part of the world. Should reach 96° again today, and most of the next few days. NWS has inserted a 50% chance of thundershowers into the forecast for next Wednesday and Thursday. Their accuracy on long range forecasts has been pretty dismal this year except for hot and dry for July-August.

On the way to the grocery store yesterday, we dropped the 2013 Accura off to have the remote mirror control fixed and to get an estimate on suspension repairs. Mirrors was a simple reset from when the battery was replaced a few weeks ago, but most of the suspension needs replacing. Cost is going to be $1900-$2000 but parts won't be in until next week. We took the car home until they get them, rather than leaving it in their unfenced lot. It's a local repair shop not a dealer. First time to use them but they were highly recommended. Why not? The name of the place is Family First Auto Care. It's in a dilapidated corrugated metal warehouse type structure, but inside the service bays are impeccably clean and very modern high-tech looking. Nice husband and wife team run the place with several certified mechanics. Much cheaper than the over the phone estimate from the Accura dealer in Denton.

Grocery trek was uneventful, no noticeable difference in prices from the last few visits. I did purchase one impulse item which I rarely do, I stick to the list religiously. Didn't even pick up anything from the "Manager's Special" meat section of "past due" meat, even though they had a nice package of pork chops available real cheap. Despite the price of oil going up lately, gasoline prices have remained steady in the $3.25-$3.35 range all over.

Today is going to be a great day, cool morning and I don't have to be anywhere until church on Sunday. I have one area left to mow and I should probably use the weedeater soon.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I basically finished the International Motor Inn.
IMG_0493.JPG

Never could get the stairs to reach where I think they should.
IMG_0491.JPG

I will fix that today with a pair of .100 styrene steps that I cut yesterday.
IMG_0492.JPG

Meanwhile I did get some figures into the mezzanine.
IMG_0494.JPG

Hard to see with the lack of interior light; something to look at.

Sherrel - Nothing speeds up countertop and backsplash shopping faster than gutting the kitchen and installing the appliances without them.;)

Today would have been Jerry Lee Lewis's 88th birthday had he not passed away last year. Coffin is probably still shaking.
Full moon tonight, beware of the crazies - be safe.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome upcoming weekend.

Good Morning!

Just a quick drop-in before I head out.
To the folks who suggested I use that row-boat as a planter. Just so you know, that was the reason I bought the boat in the first place.
It was indeed, intended to be a planter boat. Except, the wife didn't like the idea. - And, I was unable to sell it the other day.
So, now it's direction has changed. I'm going to strip the white paint and redo the boat in wood stain. The boat itself is a very fine home-built that was originally a marina dingy, and it's made entirely of wood.
I'm betting it will sell for more after I get it stained. It's a nice boat.

I'm in a hurry, so I'll just drop a last-years photo of the modern day rail snow-plow, and be on my way. A reminder to prepare for what's coming:
CN 61303_SnowPlow_03-30-2022.JPG

Hunting season is upon us. Here's a joke about it:
Women.jpg

Have a great day!

Morning all,

Once again busy at the start and now, not so much.

Time for a Blue plate with bacon and coffee, and everyone's beverages are on me today. Thank you Flo!

Currently 75° and sunny, with winds picking up from the south. High expected once again of 95° which will tie the high for this date. The 96° we hit yesterday, broke the previous record.

Not much work expected for the weekend, but nothing relaxing either.

BBL

Morning everyone -- I was up three hours ago, but loked at the screen, had a cup of coffee, and then said, Naaaw, and we t back to bed.
The weather is still unseasonably cool: 61f as we speak with a high of 76f expected along with clear sunny skies.
Tomorrow guesses at 54f low and 75f high and Sunday is "blanK"? Guess the local guy is going out of town?

Speaking of going out of town ... The Spousal Unit, daughter and grandsons are headed over to Palm Springs after school is out for the weekend to stay at the Newport's daughter rental B&B which is available and will be joined by #3 daughter and son for a weekend of "pool time". I understand that #2 daughter has also invited some friends she met in Japan who are now stationed in Twenty Nine Palms. Long story short - I will have a peaceful and quiet weekend with Waldo and the pup! (Waldo does not talk much)

FLO - if you please - a BLT with extra bacon would be nice with some fries and a Diet Coke?

I guess that we are going to have to start calling PATRICK "Michelangelo"? He has become a "great" painter!

Greenbay's defence must have overlook the possibility that they were playing football last evening? Three quarters and I fell asleep!

Last edited:
Speaking of going out of town ... The Spousal Unit, daughter and grandsons are headed over to Palm Springs after school is out for the weekend to stay at the Newport's daughter rental B&B which is available and will be joined by #3 daughter and son for a weekend of "pool time". I understand that #2 daughter has also invited some friends she met in Japan who are now stationed in Twenty Nine Palms. Long story short - I will have a peaceful and quiet weekend with Waldo and the pup! (Waldo does not talk much)
Sounds like a perfect time to get some layout work done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back