Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-Mobile doesn't force you to use auto pay in general. They sometimes offer "advantages" to you if you do have auto pay. I used to get an auto pay discount with my T-Mobile phone service and paid using credit card. Worked for years. This year they said if I didn't convert my auto pay to ACH or a debit card I'd lose my auto pay discount. Instead, T-Mobile lost me and 6 lines of service.

There are other "cell" based (5G) internet services with a home base station besides T-Mobile. I think I've seen Verizon offering it. Maybe your trailer park doesn't have or allow a direct cable connection but I assume you have landline phone service available? You should be able to get a DSL connection over the landline.

I did remember you had a credit union. Just not a competent one.
Locally, only T- Mobile offers 5G based home internet. Reliability, depends on the neighborhood. Verizon has not upgraded their service locally, beyond basic 5 G...if fact they may be leasing bandwidth from T-Mobile...Same with AT&T. They are pushing FIOS Internet, but not every subdivision is wired. In my subdivision Verizon can only offer DSL maxing at 5GB via copper lines. In the County Seat of Freehold, 4G LTE is still common, even though VZ and T share a huge cell tower on Main St. Not much choice in a Metro Market...

Locally, we have a credit union, that is probably on a par with Terry's...we reached out to them when the wife needed a place to park 250K in Trust money earmarked for her mother's care....they weren't interested unless we kept it all on deposit there. Like anything else, depends on who is running the operation.

Technically this is not true. You have federally chartered banks and credit unions but you can also have state chartered ones. A while back Utah tried to pass onerous laws on credit unions (at the behest of banks). But the laws only affected state chartered credit unions, so most of the state chartered ones just re-chartered as federally chartered ones.

If I look at https://www.utah.gov/dfi/FinancialInstitutions.html I see a list of all financial institutions in Utah and it says whether they are federally (National), state, or "out of state" banks.
Technically, you're right about "State Banks", but many of those are founded for the expressed purpose of being bought out by big National Banks...ain't deregulation wonderful. To play with deposits from "Out of state" banks is so '60ish. Everywhere you go, Chase, Wells, BofA have a big presence...If the little guy wants to compete, he has to think big. Even certain Credit unions have a national Presence...Navy Federal Comes to mind.

Afternoon All,

Late start to the day because I slept in until 7:30 am which is late for me. MOH and I painted the stairs trim and I think it looks very good even if I say so myself! After that I ran to Aldi, library and car wash. Tomorrow MOH has to go be a driver for a family friend (lives alone) when he has his kidney stones removed. I'm still doing the tiling as scheduled Friday and Saturday. MOH would have just been supervising anyway.;)

Bill- Nice photo.

Hughie- The pictures have an almost mystical feel to them.

Terry- Thanks for sharing the video.

Troy- Best wishes for your readings.

TomO- Looks like you have some work to do!

Willie- That was a lot of rail cars in the one photo.

Sherrel- I was just talking about that with MOH. What really bothers me about no cash money is what happens if there is an unintended error wiping you out, or even more scary the government scr****g you over because you don't agree with them? I love this country, but I don't trust our elected officials and haven't for quite a while and that's both parties.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Late 1990s, about 1997-98 I was sitting in a little bar on a beach in the islands with a group of scuba divers….one guy had just retired from the treasurey department In DC…..we got to talking about debit cards and credit cards and how much more they were being used. He explained that it was a major goal of the government to get rid of cash. When I asked why….he answered…CONTROL. They would be able to see everything, what you purchased, were from, how much you spend and on what and your location constantly. He was telling the truth. Now for the scary part….a few years ago we had a truckers convey in Canada protesting Covid regulations….went on for weeks, shut down the centre of our capital, Ottawa. Well the government got fed up and finally used a wartime law that allowed them to , with essentially one phonecall to the banks to freeze hundreds of peoples bank accounts including all direct payments to creditors, auto-pay, credit cards etc. And who got frozen was at the discretion of the banks. Alot of people ran into huge financial problems because they had started years before by going cashless for their purchases and bill-paying and the banks impoverished them at the push of a button. Cashless is dangerous.

Late 1990s, about 1997-98 I was sitting in a little bar on a beach in the islands with a group of scuba divers….one guy had just retired from the treasurey department In DC…..we got to talking about debit cards and credit cards and how much more they were being used. He explained that it was a major goal of the government to get rid of cash. When I asked why….he answered…CONTROL. They would be able to see everything, what you purchased, were from, how much you spend and on what and your location constantly. He was telling the truth. Now for the scary part….a few years ago we had a truckers convey in Canada protesting Covid regulations….went on for weeks, shut down the centre of our capital, Ottawa. Well the government got fed up and finally used a wartime law that allowed them to , with essentially one phonecall to the banks to freeze hundreds of peoples bank accounts including all direct payments to creditors, auto-pay, credit cards etc. And who got frozen was at the discretion of the banks. Alot of people ran into huge financial problems because they had started years before by going cashless for their purchases and bill-paying and the banks impoverished them at the push of a button. Cashless is dangerous.
Exactly on the point, especially with the last part. The problem is "average" person is so dumb and lazy, he or she doesn't see or care what is going on around them.. untill it's too late. Kind of like that "Nowhere man" from Beatles song.

Troy, I came across this place while making deliveries for Amazon. They host many gaming events. Have you ever heard of it?

It's a fascinating place run by genuinely nice people.
Yep. Seen them online a few times when I was searching for a certain item to purchase.

Like small M&P hobby shops carrying MRR supplies, these game stores are, unfortunately, a dying breed.

Over in Europe (esp in the UK) game stores don't usually have room for more than a couple of small tables for we miniature gamers. So players tend to rent their own building, or reserve a night at another facility (pubs, restaurants, meeting halls).

In the US, we're lucky to have a society that is used to spreading out, ample parking (at least outside of the major metro areas), and larger stores.

Our local game stores are either:
1. Decent space for gaming, but very few lines of games in stock... We ask them to get starter sets on the shelf, so we can direct newbies to pick up the "plastic crack" to dive into the game we're playing... But, they seldom do.

2. Decent lines of product, but few gaming tables. When we ask if they'll carry a game line, they say "we never see it being played here..." Our answer is: We would like to reserve four 4x6ft gaming tables for next Sat... and we'll get it going"

They respond, we can't give you ALL of the tables. Where will the role players (D&D), the Card Gamers (Pokemon, Magic, etc) play...?

So, yeah, I'd love to have a Game Kastle in our area. Finding that balance of enough tables, and product on the shelves to help the players grow the hobby is becoming more and more difficult.

Good Morning All from the last day in Gulf Shores AL. where it is clear and 69°. Back home it's cloudy and 75°, hasn't rained there since this time yesterday morning, but it is supposed to return overnight and last through Monday.

I packed some stuff in the car last evening, for leave-out around 0730 this morning. Headed for Texas City TX this time, a bit SE of Houston, close to Galveston. different route home for us. Tomorrow morning it's the Texas City Museum, before lunch and finally the last leg from there to home sweet home. Then an immediate nap in my own bed!
The museum has a large HO model railroad on the second floor. The ground floor is devoted to historical stuff from Texas City, mainly the history of it's refineries and the 1947 explosion.

OK, my wife just informed me that we're leaving earlier so I have to go now.

Everybody have a great day.

Another sleepless night - Don't even want to mention the weather.
What I don't understand is WHY does the government want to control everything? The folks who put the screws on us today will have to live - or their offspring - under the same draconian rules later?

Most of us already know where the Nowhere Man is!

Who's making coffee this morning?

What I don't understand is WHY does the government want to control everything? The folks who put the screws on us today will have to live - or their offspring - under the same draconian rules later?

The love of money will cause much harm to those who hoard it. They are blind and are shooting themselves in the foot.

Yep. Seen them online a few times when I was searching for a certain item to purchase.

Like small M&P hobby shops carrying MRR supplies, these game stores are, unfortunately, a dying breed.

Over in Europe (esp in the UK) game stores don't usually have room for more than a couple of small tables for we miniature gamers. So players tend to rent their own building, or reserve a night at another facility (pubs, restaurants, meeting halls).

In the US, we're lucky to have a society that is used to spreading out, ample parking (at least outside of the major metro areas), and larger stores.

Our local game stores are either:
1. Decent space for gaming, but very few lines of games in stock... We ask them to get starter sets on the shelf, so we can direct newbies to pick up the "plastic crack" to dive into the game we're playing... But, they seldom do.

2. Decent lines of product, but few gaming tables. When we ask if they'll carry a game line, they say "we never see it being played here..." Our answer is: We would like to reserve four 4x6ft gaming tables for next Sat... and we'll get it going"

They respond, we can't give you ALL of the tables. Where will the role players (D&D), the Card Gamers (Pokemon, Magic, etc) play...?

So, yeah, I'd love to have a Game Kastle in our area. Finding that balance of enough tables, and product on the shelves to help the players grow the hobby is becoming more and more difficult.
Troy, we have the corporate HQ of NobleKnights in the next suburb east of us. They have a gaming area of probably 24 tables and of course a super retail store. I get my Army Painter paints and matte finishes there. Just 10% off as I am not a gamer there. The son in law and one of the brothers who are the founder/owners were college roommates and still good friends. I marvel how big a facility this is and the amount of employee vehicles in the parking lot, just for gaming. The main distribution warehouse is also located there. The overall facility I would guess to be a bit larger than Walthers HQ and warehouse in Milwaukee. Hobbies are big business

Morning all,

After hitting 79° yesterday, supposed to be 53° later and they now have forecast a wintery mix for Saturday night and into Sunday morning. Too warm for any real accumulation, but a reminder winter is coming. Highs in the upper 30's to lower 40's over the weekend and into early next week. I've gotta get the garden shut down as I am still picking tomatoes.

Hopefully remains quiet.

BBL

Good morning from a cooling So. Central Wisconsin. 2 hours ago when getting out of bed it was 68f degrees, the high for the day! Right now it’s 64 heading to a midafternoon of high 40’s and an over night frost warning of 31.

Yesterday I got some layout time running trains while laying out the small paper mill. I cut in the switch to this mill and then I surfaced the 2’x8’ area with cork pinned and glued down. I really thought I‘d get the tracks laid but nope. The cork sheet was not set so I will let it be till Sunday. So then I decided to also cut in the switch to paper mill yard (PMY) and laid down the cork for the yard area. It’s just a 3 track yard for this mill with the longest track just under 12’. It is located about 20’ from the mill and will need access to the main when moving cars from the yard to the mill.

I have maybe 20’ of cork roll 18” wide remaining and I went online looking for more. Can you say sticker shock? I thought buying 14 gauge wire was a shock but cork is right there. The layout is already many times over the whole budget and I have just started on the industries. It’s a financial planning fail on my part but I just need to sell lot’s more weathering and dip into my monthly (ssi) allowance. Terry thinks it’s funny when I told her last week that the layout Is getting expensive!

enjoy the day

Good morning fellow hobbyists, travelers, gamers and folks worrying about stuff they can't do a damn thing about!!

Bright sunny day here, 55° at the start of the day, heading to 76°. Walked into work this morning to find a co-worker leaving my favorite donut on my desk, Devil's food with chocolate icing! Yummy!

Tracking indicates TV parts should be delivered today. Looks like TV surgery tonight.

TomO, I just received my 4th case of cork so I can relate. Cheapest I have found was an eBay seller $49.95 plus shipping and tax. Ugh.

BBL

They are “elites” who know what’s best for us. It’s partially because we as a nation have been ”dumbed down” by the ruling parties that things are being made easier for daily things. Better control by “them”. We’ve let them…

Biggest case in point, go to McDonald’s and give them cash at the counter and see what happens. The machine does everything including the change sliding down the chute. Most of the clerks don’t know how to count out change in their heads. A “dollar” type store is even more so. I purchased something and gave the kid a $5 bill. He said we take credit or debit cards. I had to tell him, “I don’t see a sign saying this is a cashless store.” The manager had to help him but 1st asked if I could use plastic, I said no.

How can we stop this? First no more allowable insider trading and then term limits. You and I would be jailed for insider trading, but if you are in Congress, it’s just another perk. Remove the insurance Congress gets and give them Medicare while they are in office. That will get our insurance issues fixed.Then take education away from political influence both right and left. Let teachers teach and pay them livable wages. Remove public money from any private school, especially colleges. My taxes are for public not private schools. I could go on but I don’t want a warning from Terry as he is probably thinking he’s going over that line…

I came close but don’t believe I have…

Like Warren Buffet has said, take away the incentives of making politics a lifetime job and the country will straighten itself out

Good morning from a cooling So. Central Wisconsin. 2 hours ago when getting out of bed it was 68f degrees, the high for the day! Right now it’s 64 heading to a midafternoon of high 40’s and an over night frost warning of 31.

Yesterday I got some layout time running trains while laying out the small paper mill. I cut in the switch to this mill and then I surfaced the 2’x8’ area with cork pinned and glued down. I really thought I‘d get the tracks laid but nope. The cork sheet was not set so I will let it be till Sunday. So then I decided to also cut in the switch to paper mill yard (PMY) and laid down the cork for the yard area. It’s just a 3 track yard for this mill with the longest track just under 12’. It is located about 20’ from the mill and will need access to the main when moving cars from the yard to the mill.

I have maybe 20’ of cork roll 18” wide remaining and I went online looking for more. Can you say sticker shock? I thought buying 14 gauge wire was a shock but cork is right there. The layout is already many times over the whole budget and I have just started on the industries. It’s a financial planning fail on my part but I just need to sell lot’s more weathering and dip into my monthly (ssi) allowance. Terry thinks it’s funny when I told her last week that the layout Is getting expensive!

enjoy the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back