Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a credit union, and I maintain accounts with TD, because each one has unique rules/fees/short comings and quirks. Over all, I have things set up to my advantage. I also have a long term relationship with both institutions. I pay mostly everything via direct debit, not auto pay.
I understand the plight of business down there, but business has ways of determining how much of a default risk each client may be. it's not one size fits all. In some areas, business takes advantage of new arrivals from out of state. It happened to me when I came to Jersey. It takes a while to catch on to the local scams, and practices.
One thing is that there is no such thing as an "Out of State Bank". any longer...Hell, My bank is based in Toronto, P.Q., eh? My CU is in Pennsylvania, and my Insurance Agent is in Virginia. Most Inter bank transfers are free, and can be accomplished overnight. Some banks operate Internet only, I'm not sure I like that idea, yet is rare when I go to my local branch, I do everything on line.
TD is based in Ontario. My mom’s bank(BMO) is based in PQ(Bank of Montréal).

Yes, I have two copies of most of the original games (ones I bought and ones I "inherited" from a friend who owed me) and also the ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) original rules and some of the sets (no where near all of them). I'd like to get the new revised ASL that was picked up by another company and stuff but haven't had time or money to mess with it. One of the best games ever.

When I lived in S Germany for 18 months back in 91-93, right before I came home, I drove down to some village to go to a small shop (in a guys attached building to his house) to buy some RC sailplane parts (like a sport body for a 4m glider and a body for a Pilatus 3.3m or 3.2m glider) and as I was driving there I passed through a village whose name I thought I recognized from a SL scenario and the thought occurred to me I was right where that history was made that inspired that. (Of course I don't remember the name now and in looking at the list of original game scenarios online nothing rings a bell).
Squad Leader is a great game. I never played Advanced Squad Leader. My first Avalon Hill game was Afrika Korps an easy game to start with and a lot of fun! If I remember correctly, I have Tactics II, War at Sea, Midway, Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Arab Israeli Wars, Magic Realm, and my favorite Third Reich. I know I must have a few more, but those are the ones I played the most. Now I want to look in my attic.

Some of those games can be time consuming. You need a place to set the games up and leave them. They can take days to finish.

It's hard to find someone to play with. Some games take hours to learn. I used to take the bus to Avalon Hill's store and wait on the steps for the store to open. Someone always lets me in early. And thier was always someone to play with. No need to bring a game. They had most of thier games on shelves and they were free to play.

Later I got into Dungeons and Dragons for a while. Then I stopped playing games all together. Until I had my kids to play with, mostly popular board games like Monopoly. My youngest grandson still loves to play Masterpiece.

Avalon Hill's Magic Realm was the best role-playing game I ever played.

It's a shame Avalon Hill could not successfully adapt to computers. I've seen Panzer Blitz for the Xbox, but I never played it.

I think Hasbro owns Avalon Hill now. If they can't mass produce a game, it does not get made.

I've enjoyed playing some good computer war games. Steel Panthers and Hearts of Iron. A few more I can't think of.

As you say, the biggest obstacle now is time.

Thanks for reminding me of all these great memories!

Morning all,

Cloudy and 37° this morning high later of 40°. Supposed to rain and be generally a good day to stay inside.

Laundry started. So far no repeat of last Sunday's disaster, but the crickets coming into the garage are driving me bats. Been slapping the heck of of them in the garage. Probably got 10,000 of them with a fly swatter. They also have found their way into the basement, but those don't live long due to the insulation they work themselves through. Basically cuts their shells up and they dehydrate really fast.

BBL

Morning all,

Cloudy and 37° this morning high later of 40°. Supposed to rain and be generally a good day to stay inside.

Laundry started. So far no repeat of last Sunday's disaster, but the crickets coming into the garage are driving me bats. Been slapping the heck of of them in the garage. Probably got 10,000 of them with a fly swatter. They also have found their way into the basement, but those don't live long due to the insulation they work themselves through. Basically cuts their shells up and they dehydrate really fast.

BBL
At least you don't have to deal with stink bugs.

Good morning gang!

Sunny and 65° here, high temp expected to get in the mid eighties today, before a little cooler with rain tomorrow!

No crickets here, the little dog gets them outside, Mr. Fuzzybutt gets any that get past the dog. When I see them in the basement they are missing their back legs and are dead . He doesn't eat the legs, just removes them and lets them lay near the body. He's a sadistic little bugger!

As far as today, I'm at the shop til 2, then lawn and leaf work later, toys tomorrow!

BBL

Thanks James. I have purchased 1/4” thick rolls in the past at 100’ long for under $200USD. My searches have me looking at $1200 for the same stuff in 98’ rolls. Not going to happen as I will use drywall for the remaining

IMG_1862.png

Good Morning All. It's clear and 75° here in Texas City TX. Back home, it's raining and 55°. Not supposed to warm up much there today, or any time before next Friday. The drive home later today might just hit a lull in the rain activity as we get into Dallas. But more tonight and the next two days. Where was this last summer?

We're looking at going to the Texas City Museum when it opens at 10:00, then going for a light lunch before heading north. Supper last night was at a great place, but they had prices to prove it! $220 including tip for two of us!!!

Can't stay for now, as we're about to go down for the free breakfast bar. Sorry Flo!

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning from Wisconsin. We may have had some frost in areas but the low temperature overnight was only 35. High today is to be 43, exactly how I remember a Fall Saturday to be. When I was in high school all the football games were played on Saturday. Moved to wisconsin for college and the high school football games were Friday night. Used to love football on Saturday in the cold weather of 30’s and 40 degrees at 11AM.

I have given up on buying cork rolls for the layout. Not worth it. My main line is 1/2” dry wall and the yards and industrial areas will be 3/8” if I can find it. HD and Menards will order it but as of yesterday had no stock. I will expand the search.

I see in the war zone they have knocked out the internet, among other things. The report I read is that is causing major concern in the international community. Shouldn’t the International community be more concerned about all the needless deaths and destruction? Why does the USA still belong to the UN?

Today is another one of those were there will be no time after 10AM for the train room. The granddaughter is not traveling to her brother’s last outdoor soccer game of the season as she will stay with me. We will swim some as she loves the water. Then at 2:30 she and I will venture over to the ice hockey rink where we will watch her brother play in the 1st hockey game of his 52 game Winter schedule. The amount of games they have these kids playing IMO is nuts. After the game, he will join us and head home for his shower. The 3 of us are going to do Culvers indoors and then head to my place. We will watch the UW Badgers interact with the football team from Ohio State that will probably destroy Wisconsin hopes for the remainder of the season. The kids will search the stands for their mom and dad while I am watching the UW Badger women’s hockey team destroy the University of St. Thomas in conference hockey on my Ipadpro. Last night the UW ladies won but the St Thomas goalie was unreal keeping the score at 5-3. The kids will sleep here and we will meet the parents at the 8AM hockey game tomorrow, he has 2 games tomorrow, the second is at 4 but in Dubuque, Iowa and I am not traveling those 75 miles.

enjoy the day

Well howdy there internet peeps and those with stinkbugs

It's Troy again...

Have the bachelor life going for another few hours. Wife is down in Indy with a rental car (we have one car total). Work friends from California flew into our neck of the woods, so she's having a "girls weekend" with them. they both fly back today, so I'm on pick-up duty whenever she drives back here to return the rental car.

As for Avalon Hill and Advanced Squad Leader, we've got a chap over on our NoDice No Glory blog who actively plays and does write ups about it. There is an active tourney scene.

It's not a game I'm into, but I enjoy editing his posts. You can find them here:

Currently 47° F degrees here. Going to chilly and rainy for the next few days.

My new favorite weather guesser guy on the U-tubez (Ryan Hall, Y'all) says get used to cold and chilly in the midwest. Rain and Snow are coming our way.

On another note, I tried making a Manhattan last night. I used new Gallo Sweet Vermouth, and my current bottle of Bulleit Rye. But the bitters were fairly old. Probably over 4 months. Did not like the Manhattan and dumped it. Might try it tonight without the bitters and see if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any idea how long Bitters last? Do I need to fridge them once opened? I don't do many cocktails but I'm trying to learn.

Happy Saturday all!

I need to get out and do mowing and leaves. It might still be too wet later this afternoon, after the 2-day rain event we had. I still have a lot of leaves still to come down. I imagine if we get a good frost over the next few nights, it will speed the process. I might have to wait on that till next weekend.

I guess it will be a good day to make sawdust in the garage and cut some more sub-roadbed.

Anyways, enjoy the day and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back