Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really didn't want to go but a number out friends from Friday night bowling were whining at me so I gave in and went. It was interesting, lots of people there and we met a lot of other friends there. Later we all met at our place and chowed down on perogies and sausage from the grill. even got to run trains for a while as some had never seen the layout.

Chet: I'm sure that was an interesting experience. The Pierogis and Sausage had to be the best part. ;) Your layout is very impressive, must have been a treat for some of your guests.

Boris

My first year on the railroad 1967, was the very first time the Pennsylvania Railroad recognized Daylight Savings Time for operations. True, the public passenger schedules reflected DST, but otherwise the railroad remained on Standard Time. This meant, for example that the 0630 Yard crew, reported at 0530 DST, which somewhat disrupted the crew members circadian rhythm, but everything else stayed the same. After 1967, the time change did create a few problems, but they were mostly minor. For example, the crew working the night of the change from DST back to Std Time made an hours overtime, as they were actually on duty nine hours. The crew working during the spring changeover, got paid eight hours but worked seven. Since so few crews were employed on c tour on Saturdays, the cost was really minimal.
It's also noteworthy that on the same day as the time change in 1967, Locomotive Engineers began to work a five day, eight hour work week. Prior to that day, Yard Engineers work days were all either six or seven days per week. Road service employees in passenger and freight service still worked either a six or seven day work week, into the modern era.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Boris

Sorry, MARK, Ihate to see you so disappointed with the forum. I'm not sure what you are looking for. I must have a thousand posts that I have not read - and I spend too much time on here anyway - not constructing, but wishing, wanting, and dreaming?

I'm really only disappointed that the rest of the forum is so bleak!

Good Afternoon,

After some chores today I finally got back to the build. I applied 2 coats of A&I to the corrugated roofing to dull it and give it a little grimy look. I put a couple of details on the exterior wall, but mainly I put the Branchline Laser Art paper 3 tab shingles on the 4 main roofing cards (still have 4 small ones to do. Tomorrow morning first thing I have a VA appointment.

Louis- I'm glad you're OK, but sorry to hear of the others.

Sherrel- I feel your pain literally. I once threw out my back by simply bending over to pick something up. When I was working I would go to the Chiropractor twice a month and it made all the difference in the world.

Chet- Great looking rail shot.

20181104_104035-1470x3024.jpg

20181104_142211-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Garry: The jury is still out on that, for sure, business and some people will benefit from lower taxes, but I'm not sure I will. Realize that's a micro view, but on the other hand, why am I always asked to sacrifice for the greater good, when others get to reap the rewards. That gets old after a while.

BTW: I've been questioning Econ 101, 102, 201, and 202 for quite a while now. Some things just don't compute.

Boris

Boris .... As JFK said, " A rising tide lifts all boats." ...... He was proven to be correct. Very sadly, JFK died before his tax cut was enacted, and he did not get to see the results. .... Each of the major tax cuts was followed with an increase in economic growth. After JFK's tax cut, other major tax cuts were in 1986, 1997, and 2003. Each time, GDP growth was greater in the 24 months following enactment than in the 24 months prior to enactment. It has been less than 24 months since the 2017 tax cut but so far, the economy is growing more rapidly than before it. .... So any politician that says "Trickle down does not work." is denying historical results.

Chet .... The Trump rallies can be fun.... Of course, the media will distort anything he said.... I like the rail photo of the day.

Sherrel ..... My auto correct sometimes changes your name when I type also.

Who invented auto correct.? .... Drives me crazy sometimes.o_O

I'm really only disappointed that the rest of the forum is so bleak!
You could belong to one of the forums I'm on, in which there can be a several-hundred-post long heated argument over why HO scale grabirons are 1/4 of a scale inch too large. Oh, and anything less than 110% complete prototypical accuracy in models or operations might as well be tinplate.

You could belong to one of the forums I'm on, in which there can be a several-hundred-post long heated argument over why HO scale grabirons are 1/4 of a scale inch too large. Oh, and anything less than 110% complete prototypical accuracy in models or operations might as well be tinplate.

Terry,

I'm a member of one of those types of forums as well....And never contribute to it for that very reason. This is the very reason I chose this forum over the other ones when I switched scales. There's almost none of that here.

Mark,

What do we do to liven the place up? Im willing to do my part.

Other folks need to post in other parts of this forum. Migalyto you do your part!

Last edited by a moderator:
For anybody wondering what happens when a piece of equipment on our model railroads becomes damaged, and no parts are available as part of the modern business model:

There is a better description on Youtube itself.

Mark,

What do we do to liven the place up? Im willing to do my part.
This might help...….
As a rookie in this hobby, I have been wondering why not use R/C to run trains? HO. The obvious to me is not enough battery life. But could track voltage keep the battery charged while the train is running on R/C? Kinda like using a laptop while it is charging?
Too many circuit boards? Maybe a boxcar (buffer) with battery or electronics?
Dave

This might help...….
As a rookie in this hobby, I have been wondering why not use R/C to run trains? HO. The obvious to me is not enough battery life. But could track voltage keep the battery charged while the train is running on R/C? Kinda like using a laptop while it is charging?
Dave
I added a capacitor to a dummy F unit to run the headlight when track power was removed on a passing siding. This was before DCC, and that was how I had a headlight on "dim" with the track powered off.

This might help...….
Dave

Sort of on the same subject. I always wondered what the feasibility of adding automatic reversing to a DCC decoder. With todays electronics it has to be possible? I guess it wouldn't be very cost effective to add a couple of dollars to each decoder to achieve this VS buying on auto-revering controller to your reverse loop for $30.

This might help...….
Dave
most DCC systems have a radio control option, I use NCE's Pro-Cab-R (R for radio) and you can use it to control turnouts etc. If you're looking for a true radio control of the locos that is independent of the track wiring for passing the messages, then look at Ring Engineering's, RailPro system, but be aware, because it's a proprietary system, it only works with that makers decoders and Cabs. As far as automatic reversing, I assume you mean track polarity reversing. There are already auto switches for that, no control by you needed, all achieved by loco contact.

Had our A/C serviced today, 1st one since installation. Got a local guy who doesn't charge like a wounded bull, rather than the original installers herd of buffalo's. When we got this one, just over 12 months ago, we had to get them back because over the weekend after, it lost all it's gas. I mentioned that to this feller, and he checked it, said it looked OK. We knew it wasn't blowing very cold and he looked further. We normally run it a 24C (75F). He put it down to 16C (61F). Wouldn't go down. So he pulled off covers etc and said he could see where they'd done things that weren't right with the pipes. He asked if we wanted to get the original installers back. We said no, no way, so he's coming back later. We'll pay him and battle the Guarantee insurers ourselves. His bill for the service was $80, Theirs was quoted at $200+.

Good morning gang,
45 degrees and raining looks like it's going to be the start of another wet weak.

Sometimes, ya gotta walk in someone else's shoes to get all the facts.
Boris

That's the ticket!

Boris, can I write in your name for 2020?

Here's my take on the TV news. Of course there are exceptions in each case and this is only my opinion.

CNN - Trump hurt our feelings, now we hate everything he says or does.

MSNBC - The Impeachment channel.

Fox - WTF? Stone cold crazy!

Broadcast news - Becoming a pharmaceutical infomercial. I don't tell my doctor what medication I need. I tell him what medications Id rather not take and then we work it out together. I don't want a TV doctor or a TV lawyer. As a matter of fact I did not want a TV president either. Why has political experience become a detriment? Experienced political people have a record we can exam and then decide. Is illiteracy a bigger problem then we know?

I do like to watch several people from most of those channels/networks.

Sheppard Smith - My favorite He makes me wonder how he keeps his job at FOX.

Rachell Maddow - Nobody does their homework like she does, but there are ALOT/too much of opinions to filter out. She is without a doubt the hardest working journalist on TV. When she learns I don't care what her opinion is and sticks to reporting the news she will be the best!

Sorry CNN, I have all but, given up on you. I can't think of a single person and Don Lemon is the worst of the worst.

If I watch TV news, it's the PBS news hour for me, sometimes the BBC.

I'll stick with the NY Times and Baltimore Sun, but I seldom read the op-eds.

I don't blame Russia, (cold blooded sneaky bastards) Anybody influenced by Russia is a dumb ass for getting their news from facebook and other social media! Foreign influence goes back to before the revolution. The only thing new is the technology. One of the dumbest things I heard "Russia is not so bad" DOH!

When it comes to politics, I begin by thinking "what would George Washington do?" Then research all reputable sources with an open mind. (public voting records never lie) Finally I look to history for parallels.
George Washington knew the 2 greatest threats to our nation were our own political parties and foreign influence. We can easily conquer both. Open our minds, seek the facts and vote!

George Washington's Farewell Address

God Bless Us Everyone!

PS here is an ass I can love and respect ;)

Good Morning Everybody.

Thank you all for thinking of me and caring so much, I love my train buddies. I am sorry to have made you worry.

I read in the paper it was confirmed we had an F-1 tornado touch down here in southeast Baltimore. I can't ever remember any tornado on the east side of the Patapsco river (harbor) in Baltimore.

Also I will apologize for my too early Christmas song, but it seemed fitting ;) I promise to refrain from Christmas music posts until after thanksgiving. Except for in my home/vehicles and on facebook. :)

Have a great day Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back