Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shirley Surely, you know by now "No good deed goes unpunished."

You got that right, ShermanH, I should av lernt that by now! LOL

SHERM- Tread softly. The Captain becomes 'surly' if you misspell his name.
Phil

LOL, very good, PHIL!

Sherrel, you are too kind. It's easy to be nice to those who are nice to us. The challenge is to be nice to strangers or even harder, people we don't like. I'm working on it. I miss baseball.

Sorry, LOUIS, I think it was not me who said to turn the other cheek - I never carry a grudge past the 'get even' point!

Good to hear you're OK Louis
Sherrel,
I too get these bad backs at times, mostly occurs when the muscles are cold or have been inactive (sitting down etc) and you move in a twisting motion. That sliding door is a likely culprit.

TOOT -- You hit the nail dead center - thing is - I didn't feel anything at the time! Damn door must have weighed 200 lbs. Lifting it up and over the trailer side rails more than likely did it!

I didn't feel anything at the time!
You might get a slight twinge at the time, but the pain doesn't usually start till a bit later, by which time you've forgotten about the twinge. It's caused by muscle spasm at the time, which is created by a lack of warmth and blood flow in the area. Even getting up out of a chair can do it.

I guess if I want to read anything that is going on here on the Model Railroad Forums, I have to participate here, as the rest of this forum is pretty much dead!

So: it's 37 (Correction it is 32 degrees by my thermometer outside. The thermometer at the Weather Underground must be stuck) as we speak and supposedly partly sunny conditions today. It's Deer Hunting for the next week so won't be doing much outside, other than getting the mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess if I want to read anything that is going on here on the Model Railroad Forums, I have to participate here, as the rest of this forum is pretty much dead!

So: it's 37 degrees as we speak and supposedly partly sunny conditions today. It's Deer Hunting for the next week so won't be doing much outside, other than getting the mail.
I liken it to my club, most go to run trains, but the conversation, apart from admiring someones else's or vise-versa, usually turns on just banter. Technical, or actual modelling questions, don't come up all that often. On the modelling front, I'm having a bit of a flat spot, other things getting in the way.
Funny you should mention 37 degrees, that's what our forecast is for tomorrow too :eek:. A/C gets serviced.

So: it's 37 degrees as we speak and supposedly partly sunny conditions today. It's Deer Hunting for the next week so won't be doing much outside, other than getting the mail.
You're right about the entire forum being dead yesterday. I ended up talking with my wife because there was nothing to read here.

Good Morning All. Around here it's 48° and clear. Lots of thunder and lightning last night around 7:30ish, but not a drop of rain. A bit cooler day is forecast for today, mid-60's, then warming back up for a few days. Deer hunting season started here yesterday, same as in Mark's area, but all except one of my neighboring landowners do not allowing deer hunting; so it is still quiet unlike the last two months which were dove hunting season. They're attempting to encourage population growth. It's turkey season as well, but they seem to be rare around here. I only see them a couple of times a year.
It appears that I will finally be able to mow today, yard is looking ragged. The volunteer winter oats have sprouted up all over and growth is quite uneven.
Looks like the cats outside don't understand Daylight Savings! They're staring at me through the back door. Probably cursing me, but I can't hear them.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did a few odd jobs. Worked a little more on the chain-link fence project and the adjacent landscape. Added a couple of dogs to one of the backyards and planted a few more trees in the already completed area. As I move forward in another area, I removed all temporarily placed structures and stuff along a ten foot part of the main line so I could spray paint the track and ties in preparation for ballasting. After the spray painting, I will touch up many ties with various shades of brown and gray paint for variety. Overall, I probably have about 65% of the layout ballasted now. I still have over 100' of mainline and 450' of secondary trackage and sidings to go.

Sherrel - Best wishes with the sprained back. Yep! It was most likely the patio door, especially if you had to hoist it over the side of a trailer. The leading cause of back sprains in my industry (patio door and window manufacturing) was mishandlng patio doors. They are heavy things.
Louis - So glad to read that you are OK.
I've been avoiding the political/partisian news. Each side has beat the dead horse so much that there can't be any remains. Why can't we open our minds listen to each other? Why does everybody get so angry at the mention of an opposing view?
You hit the nail directly on the head. Reminds me of the reporter that interviewed those college kids a while back. They raved about the "Bernie Sanders" tax plan that was really the Trump plan; and then they bashed it when the reporter corrected himself.

Daylight saving is over. I don't understand why we are saving it anyway. The extra daylight must be what's causing global warming.
Everybody have a great day. Let's step up with the forum posting today.

It isn't 37 degrees here, it is 32 degrees. The thermometer at the Weather Underground Website must be stuck!

I've been avoiding the political/partisian news. Each side has beat the dead horse so much that there can't be any remains. Why can't we open our minds listen to each other? Why does everybody get so angry at the mention of an opposing view?

Louis: We have been collectively been brainwashed by our respective news sources, radio commentators, spiritual advisors, or professors. This is nothing new, when I think back, many of my views go back to the "norm" in the old neighborhood. The views and opinions of the so called "Greatest Generation". Those folks hated everyone! It's kind of hard to listen to others, when it's always "my way or the highway".

Personally, I finding it very difficult to vote on Tuesday, because no matter who wins, I lose. Sure that's a cynical attitude, but when I look back over 70 years, and think of all the snake oil I've been sold...

Fall is back, 32° at 0700, and clear. The leaves are at peak color and falling fast.

Yesterday, I dragged the table saw out of it' place in the garage, cleaned up all the accumulated dirt and grime, and made a few practice cuts to refresh my memory. My new neighbor is installing a new floor in his Family Room, and needed to make a few rip cuts. While the saw was out, I ripped a 2x4 into two legs for a module, and cut some support braces for the module I rebuilt. Today, I will finish the module, and rip a handy-panel to the dimensions of the module, and laminate a section of pink foam to the handy-panel.

It's amazing how much easier it is to use the table saw, but the damn thing has always scared me. One must be on the top of his game using it. It's too easy to injure one's self.

Have a great Sunday.

Boris

Good morning, everybody ....

I wonder why we must all change our clocks twice a year. .... I suspect the economic costs for doing that exceed any benefits from doing that.

Boris .... You are correct we must be very cautious when using our table saws. .....

Louis, Boris, and WIllie....... Regarding news sources, I don't let myself get brainwashed. I'm not gullible. I'm skeptical. .... I can do my own research especially regarding economic issues. ... I could tell you who is full of the stuff that makes grass grow green, but I refrain because I respect the "no politics" rule in this forum.

Morning - weather is a repeat of the prior two days! Supposed to be 87 for a high today. Won't be able to add much here today - I'm off to Wallyworld to get a few things early for the RV, and as yesterday was "nurse the ailing back day" I am really behind. Have to pick up the daughter in San Deigo at 1:30 (an hour 15 drive in good traffic). We want to be on the road tomorrow morning at daybreak.
Speaking of daybreak - I woke up just slightly after 3 AM - what was the mostly 4 AM that I normally sometimes wake up. I guess it will be that way for the next few days/weeks?

Sorry, MARK, Ihate to see you so disappointed with the forum. I'm not sure what you are looking for. I must have a thousand posts that I have not read - and I spend too much time on here anyway - not constructing, but wishing, wanting, and dreaming?

Back seems to be returning to normal PTL!

It's amazing how much easier it is to use the table saw, but the damn thing has always scared me. One must be on the top of his game using it. It's too easy to injure one's self.
Right you are. My neighbor lost three fingers about six years ago to one. He tried to drive himself to the emergency room but passed out in his truck while stopped in front of my house. Luckily I spotted him almost immediately and upon realizing what had happened, I called 911 using his cell phone. I was able to apply a tourniquet based on all of my safety training, using the rag that he had wrapped around his hand. He had previously removed the guard from the saw!

Louis, Boris, and WIllie....... Regarding news sources, I don't let myself get brainwashed. I'm not gullible. I'm skeptical. .... I can do my own research especially regarding economic issues. ... I could tell you who is full of the stuff that makes grass grow green, but I refrain because I respect the "no politics" rule in this forum.
We have been collectively been brainwashed by our respective news sources, radio commentators, spiritual advisors, or professors.

I think that we all tend to follow the news based on our beliefs anyway. Liberals watch/read CNN and NBC, while conservatives use FOX.
Garry - You are especially right regarding economic issues.

Good morning gang,
It's a gorgeous Sunday morning here. Sitting on the deck with GF and coffee, contemplating yard work, maybe, maybe not, maybe just a little.
Terry, how is Marie doing???
TTYL

I can do my own research especially regarding economic issues.

Garry: That's reasonable. However, everyone does not view economic issues the same way, as what benefits one segment, hurts another.
Perception is reality, and that varies by what business you are in and where you live. Sometimes, ya gotta walk in someone else's shoes to get all the facts.

Boris

Garry: That's reasonable. However, everyone does not view economic issues the same way, as what benefits one segment, hurts another.
Perception is reality, and that varies by what business you are in and where you live. Sometimes, ya gotta walk in someone else's shoes to get all the facts.

Boris

Boris ..... Many economic principles are applicable to all segments. If government makes it more costly for all businesses to employ people, the result is fewer jobs.... Higher tax rates also slow the economy. Lower tax rates stimulate the economy. Economic data will prove that ..... Econ 101 still works.

I think that we all tend to follow the news based on our beliefs anyway. Liberals watch/read CNN and NBC, while conservatives use FOX.
Garry - You are especially right regarding economic issues.

WIllie .... Even Fox News gets things wrong. I get frustrated with all of them.... For example, they all typically ignore the effects of monetary policies (Federal Reserve), and often wrongly attribute changes to the economy to Congress or the Administration. The Fed ended the last recession with interest rates close to zero and with increasing money supply by trillions of dollars. ("Printing money")... The $800 billion Fiscal "Stimulus" of 2008 actually retired the economy. .... For example .....

Good morning. 38 degrees and overcast today. Not expected to get out of the mid 40's this afternoon. Finding myself a lot busier now that I am retired than I was when I was working. WE had a visitor in Belgrade Saturday.

imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg

I really didn't want to go but a number out friends from Friday night bowling were whining at me so I gave in and went. It was interesting, lots of people there and we met a lot of other friends there. Later we all met at our place and chowed down on perogies and sausage from the grill. even got to run trains for a while as some had never seen the layout.

Garry - Like the photo of the F units. ALWAYS ENJOY SEEING YOUR PICTURES.

Willie - Texas Motor Speedway is one of the few tracks that we have not been to. Maybe some day.

Curt
- Nothing like getting a head start on Christmas shopping.

Sherrel - Hope your back gets better. Sometimes the slightest movement in the wrong way can get you.

Louis
- Happy your grandson enjoyed Halloween. As I mentioned earlier, no trick or treaters out here. I like seeing the kids in their costumes. Our local mall has Halloween night for the kids with businesses all giving goodies away to the kids. A lot safer for them.

Today I plan on relaxing and watching the NASCAR race in Texas and little more.

Here's a rail picture for today.

tunnel-362702_960_720.jpg

Later.

Higher tax rates also slow the economy. Lower tax rates stimulate the economy. Economic data will prove that ..... Econ 101 still works.

Garry: The jury is still out on that, for sure, business and some people will benefit from lower taxes, but I'm not sure I will. Realize that's a micro view, but on the other hand, why am I always asked to sacrifice for the greater good, when others get to reap the rewards. That gets old after a while.

BTW: I've been questioning Econ 101, 102, 201, and 202 for quite a while now. Some things just don't compute.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back