Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 21 degrees with clear skies. We should hit the mid 40's again this afternoon.

Sherrel - Sweet videos. Love tha E unit. I think the CB&Q E units were some of the best looking ones on the rails. WHen do the staples come out of Foxie? You'll probably be as happy as her when they do.

Curt - Liked the Pennsy video. Keep them coming.

Truckdad - That's one heck of a grill. Don't think there would be much room left on my back deck with something that size.

TURKEY BACON - View attachment 31919 Bacon comes from pigs. We just packaged 35 pounds of bacon that my daughter in law gets from the restaurant she help cater for. Outstanding bacon.

Here's a rail picture for today. On the left, an inbound train is waiting for the outbound train to clear the yard so it can back its train in. On the right, a switcher is backing a gon from the scrap yard to the yard.

View attachment 31920

Later
I'm going to be nasty here Chet, you're gon'na hate me, (please note though that I liked the photo),'cause it's about the advantages of DCC in that situation. With DCC control, you could be moving that train that's blocking the yard, out and away, while you're moving the switcher and it's gondola, into the yard, because of the ability of a DCC controller to toggle between loco addresses.

I admit to not having done this at the club because of dealing with others operating their trains as well and the comment is more directed at any others that might not know of this possibility when choosing whether to go to DCC or not. It adds to the "real world" activities that can be had.

Thanks for that link Terry, their price matches Klein's and I see they do offer international shipping. They also provided a link to their ebay shop where they said quantities in stock could be checked. Ebay, unfortunately, said it didn't exist. (a glitch between international searches maybe), so I have emailed them to see if they can fill a combined order of 4 of the ECO-PNP's they are listing and advising of my address.

I'm going to be nasty here Chet, you're gon'na hate me, (please note though that I liked the photo),'cause it's about the advantages of DCC in that situation. With DCC control, you could be moving that train that's blocking the yard, out and away, while you're moving the switcher and it's gondola, into the yard, because of the ability of a DCC controller to toggle between loco addresses.

I admit to not having done this at the club because of dealing with others operating their trains as well and the comment is more directed at any others that might not know of this possibility when choosing whether to go to DCC or not. It adds to the "real world" activities that can be had.

Ray - I could do that now with DC Ray. I have 2 walk around throttles. While the switcher backs into the yard with one throttle, the outbound train could leave the yard using the other. By the time the switcher is in the yard, that throttle with the use of a DPDT switch could take control of the train coming out of the tunnel. Throw the turnout, come out of the tunnel when the outbound is clear and back the inbound into the tunnel. IF I could multitask. I had two trains running at the same time at the club, but with the layout being in three different rooms it wasn't easy.

Curt - Another great video.

Phil - Happy Thanksgiving right back at you and to everyone else.

Good evening....Hot coffee and apple pie with temps dropping into the teens.
The Brown Santa dropped a package off today.A new turntable to do some more weathering.
IMG_2324.jpg
IMG_2325.jpg
IMG_2326.jpg

Hey Everybody!

What a day, It started off at 1am when my Tucker had a seizure. That was just the beginning. After the seizure he was in extreme pain. That has never happened before. I thought it was a kidney stone or God knows what. He was shivering and could not move very well. I called the Pet ER in Towson Maryland and after going through some basic things to check for (dog triage) they told me it appeared he was in no immediate danger and it was up to me as to what to do. I decided to wait until my vet opened at 7:30am. Tucker and I sat on the couch watching the music choice Christmas channel on comcast until it was time to go. I figured if my singing along with the Christmas songs did not make him worse he would be ok to wait it out.

I picked him up to carry him to the vet in our usual manor where he lays his belly against me and puts his paws on my shoulders. All was well until I had to couch. That must have hurt him because he bit me on the nose and again on the lip. Poor little guy was very upset having bit me. I kissed him on the nose and off we went. Me with a bloody nose and lip and him in pain. My wife driving my little Chevy van was an adventure in and of itself! There was no way I was squeezing Tucker and I into her little Chevy Sonic. Another reason I can use to justify buying an Impala for myself.

We get to the vet and they took us straight in. Eastern Animal Hospital is the best vet I have ever used. They are also the most expensive, but money comes second to my little buddy. Turned out the problem was multilayered. The seizure triggered back spasms causing an old injury to flare up and he had gas pains magnifying the pain, thank God that was all it was. They shot him up with some "happy stuff" and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection. They sent us home with over $100 worth of prescriptions. The tests cost me another $637, but he has been doing better and better ever since. At least we know there is nothing else going on. As I am writing this he is eating his Kibble and Bits.

When we first got home I sat on the couch with him nodding off until he fell deep asleep. He slept great and never moved for 2 hours. Cuddled up in his Christmas blanket with his "Mr. Bill" toy. Normally he follows me around the house, but the "happy stuff" knocked him out. When he woke up he was much better!

Despite being several hours behind schedule I managed to get most of what I needed to do done. All that is left is to put up 2 Christmas trees in the morning. No decorations yet, that comes after thanksgiving. One of the trees is a pre-lit and the other is a new 7.5' Balsam Hill slim tree, my wife's choice. After the trouble I had with the lights on the pre-lit tree last year, only the second year using it and hearing they can cause fires if the connections corrode I decided no more pre-lit trees.

The sauerkraut is in the slow cooker with the Irish sausage. Big bird is prepped and ready to go in the refrigerator. That's my contribution to the thanksgiving dinner, my wife handles the rest.

Now I am off to get my shower and go to bed!

God willing I will be here in the morning after I put Big Bird into the oven to wish Everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Have a great night Everybody!

Good morning Everybody!

All is well in chilly southeast Baltimore.

It's clear skies and 30 degrees, (yes that is chilly in my book. Single digits, now that is cold!) The high today is supposed to be 34, if it stays below 31 it will be the coldest thanksgiving on record in Baltimore.

I think the weather is perfect! With two ovens running all day, one for Big Bird and the other for pies, cookies, cranberry cake, green bean casserole, dinner rolls and whatever else my wife comes up with in the other. I would need to run the AC just to be comfortable if we had one of those days in the 60s we have had in the past.

Baltimore is a strange place, I fit right in, even where weather is concerned. It could be in the 60s or even 70 one day and a blizzard the next. The old timers. that's me now, say "If you don't like the weather in Baltimore, wait a few minutes, it will change."

1542884012022.png

Happy Thanksgiving all! Wife, and I were up at 4:30 to start the bird cooking. Louis, our house has both ovens fired up as well with much goodness in both of them! We are not having our normal person count this year. We usually have around 17-20. this year its only 10, but we are cooking like its upwards of 30+.

Tom, That's a good looking loco you have there! Its good to see another modern modeler on here. Thanks for the UPS decal outlet. I have 33 spine cars to fill. I have a bunch of the Walthers 53' UPS trailers, but they are clunky looking.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!

Tucker and Sophie are curled up on the... I don't know what you call it. I don't know all these fancy names for furniture. It's a couch that folds down to make a bed. Any way they are resting beautifully. Tucker is doing great. Sophie has not left his side since he came home. That is true love for you.

Mean while I nearly flood the kitchen in the family room. I had Big Bird already to go in the oven, or so I thought! I forgot to take out the giblets and the neck. The big son of a gun is still frozen inside! I realized it when I saw the full bowl of fruit I put inside the bird as it bakes. I turned on the cold water tap and put big bird in the sink to thaw. I started getting my trains sets to put under my Christmas trees, not smart.

Normally the big old sink takes "forever" to fill, but big bird displaced a lot of water. Long story getting longer, one big old bath towel (that is why I save them) and a few Clorox wipes and all is well again.

It looks like dinner will be a little later than planed, good thing I have the world's best wife. No matter how bad I screw up she never gets upset with me, well almost never. Everybody has a breaking point and I am good at pushing people past it. Still I can count on a few fingers of one hand how many times she raised her voice at me in all these years. When that happens I know I went to far, time to sit down, shut up and apologize.

Happy Thanksgiving all! Wife, and I were up at 4:30 to start the bird cooking. Louis, our house has both ovens fired up as well with much goodness in both of them! We are not having our normal person count this year. We usually have around 17-20. this year its only 10, but we are cooking like its upwards of 30+.

Mike, I admire you! That is how it's done! Like Willie said a few days ago; "there is always room at the table"

I am only having 7 this year and I still bought the biggest turkey I could find 27.36lbs.

Terry, got a reply back about the decoders real quick. Soundtraxx is sending out the next batch in early December, so I'll work out how many I can afford (no, that's not the right word) and pre-order. Not really a good time for shipping, especially international. Might suggest they delay till January, see what they say.

Tom, That's a good looking loco you have there! Its good to see another modern modeler on here. Thanks for the UPS decal outlet. I have 33 spine cars to fill. I have a bunch of the Walthers 53' UPS trailers, but they are clunky looking.

The 45'ers I have are Atlas undecorated.The gray color was perfect,didn't have to paint it.I changed out the wheels with A-line,painted them black and hand painted the silver on the rim.
Pup trailers are Herpa painted with undercoat light gray Poly scale.The rims are flat black hand painted.The way the rim is you leave the outer part to show the silver.The top side and bottom is hand painted with Model Master silver argent.
IMG_2300.jpg

Good Morning All. Happy Thanksgiving Day. And a Happy Thursday evening to you Ray, in the land down under. It's 39° and mostly clear, no sun yet.
Just started cooking the ham that I am bringing to my brother's house in Dallas, my other contribution is beer which is pre-cooling out on the porch. As I mentioned earlier this week, today's gathering is not as large as usual, only 36 of my parent's 56 descendants are coming by. We had 46 last Thanksgiving. As the oldest male, I have the dubious honor of being called the patriarch of the family. That means that I am looking forward to carving the turkey later today. On another positive note, there's always my youngest niece there that brings refills on beer and provides band-aids while I am carving. I think that she is looking forward to passing that torch to a third generation family member soon, as she is now married and has a wonderful husband to fawn over.
Once again yesterday, I spent only minimal time in the train shed. Replaced the plastic wheels on two more freight cars but otherwise I haven't touched the purchases from the LHS that I made Tuesday.

Joe - Quite a picturesque scene you posted yesterday.
Karl - Keep your turkey bacon in Absurdistan. I'll take "turkey" turkey and "pork" bacon every day. Have a safe trip today.
Chet - Really nice rail picture yesterday.
Sherrel - Bad news about Foxie, hope that all turns out well.
Curt -
Willie- Sounds like the turkey is a good deal. Free food is always best.
Don't know whether or not you have ever experienced a deep-fried turkey, but they are really quite delicious. The deep fryers limit their size to 10-12 lbs. so they are always tender young birds as well.
Tom - Now that you showed us the turntable, we expect lots more great pictures.
Louis - Glad to read that Tucker is on the road to recovery. Not too sure how big the turkey is that my brother is cooking, it's usually in the 22-24 lb. range when we celebrate at his place. Last year at another brother's place, we had a 20 lb. bird with a large boneless breast to supplement it. He chose to carve the easy breast.

Besides today being Thanksgiving Day, it is also the 55th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Some of us are old enough to remember the day distinctly. I was in seventh grade at a Catholic school in Dallas watching it unfold on TV, and the women's club from our church was going to be serving/assisting at the luncheon that he was headed for. Sad day indeed and a black eye for our fair city for many years after.

Otherwise everybody have a great day, and a safe and Happy Thanksgiving Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back