Running Bear's Mid-June Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out today at 77F for the morning walk (before sunrise) and the air felt like a blanket. Feels like temps in the 100's for the next several days. Today I finished cleaning up from vacation and some minor house cleaning. I did trim and paint the next 20 trees but stopped at that point because son has his own project going on at the table in the garage that we both use.

MOH's pain turned out to be back muscle related. Good news but this is her very first back injury (why we thought it was something else). The labs were all normal. She's now a member of the hurt back club. :(

Louis- Neat B&O photo.

Kriegslok- Great yard photos.

Troy- Happy Birthday🎂 to your wife. We have done around 15 cruises to the Carribean and frankly I'm bored with the area.

David- MOH and I have cruised on Freedom several times.

Willie- Great car loads.

Swal- I am very sorry to hear of your situation and hope things work out favorably for you and your wife.

Smudge- Interesting video.

Jazz- The cruises I have looked at going to Europe you either get on the ship in the US then fly home from Europe or vice versa. I saw a lot of Europe in the 70's (I know it's changed) but the only part I would be interested in seeing now would be England, Ireland, Scotland (ancestral home), or Wales. I've been to Scotland once and England twice.

I hope everyone has a good night.
London is horrible nowadays the shopping a disappointment London Underground interesting and buses Houses of Parliament Big Ben tower bridge the tower but prices are stiff

Windsor castle you can pay and go in and Windsor shops small but last time I was there fairly decent on and Eton and Eton college a short walk over the river is a walk just a couple of streets Windsor great park and Where the magma carts was signed if you up for the walk London Underground is interesting but I would only travel during day light Windsor theatre small intimate and entertaining if it is still going and no pandemic

stamford is very nice but not near coast old stone buildings very touristy nice places to eat a few streets nice fish bar near river

wales has some nice castles ok beaches Cardiff castle was ok but town centre is very blah frankly if you dont like castles not up to much and I have welsh family

england has a number of towns that retain old shops the d be with museums of interest but the likes of Amazon has ruined high streets same shops over and over next peacocks supermarkets Aldi Lidl Morrisons none worth a look a good jewellers is best found in a tourist town

scotland best visited summer avoided winter Edinburgh is popular I would recommend researching any options and checking how long it might hold your interest Scotland has sone spectacular scenery but you need to drive around

oxford and Cambridge retain a lot of atmosphere being uni towns as does Canterbury

but honestly research to avoid disappointment

blackpool was once fun but now very very tired and crime in cities is no fun beware pickpockets or even necklaces taken off you that will apply to crowds where jostling occur plus entertainment is limited to specific times of the year the smaller copy of the Eiffel Tower ie Blackpool tower

goathland on the nymr railwY is a superb stop and so is Whitby bay not too far excellent shopping and atmosphere

personally ifind places far less interesting than 20 30 years ago I loved Paris in the day now its a dive and frankly so is london

Louis- When I got home yesterday Roxie the skunk wouldn't let me pet her. After putting things away and I sat down she was right at my feet wanting picked up and to lay on me. I guess I was forgiven at that point.
That was her way of telling you she doesn't like it when you leave.

It never ceases to amaze me how God has given all his creations unique personalities. A little love, comfort, and security allows them to shine.

TomO,
The news these days is just a shell of what it was. I'm sure Walter Cronkite is turning in his grave like a rotisserie chicken.

You had to mention Veal Parm did ya! I've got a local place that make a killer Veal Parm sub, now I have to order one for lunch! ;)
Walther though couldn’t cut it in today’s media market.

I hope you enjoyed that sandwich. The problem with Italian restaurants around our area is they have been pressured to remove veal from the menus. I mean, come on, can’t have those baby cows being killed to feed humanity. Let’s get them older and fatter and then kill ’em. Many have switched to the chicken Parmesan and it’s good but anyone can make a good Chicken Parmesan, even me!. Only skill can make a good to great Veal Parmesan

I have traveled all over the globe for business and always tried to schedule extra time to sight see, especially if we went abroad. Terry retired 7 years earlier than I did. I waited till age 62. Once she had the time she would travel with me but would sight see when I was in conferences or giving a speech. Even when I did a golf trip she would come along. After my brother in law passed my sister would join us and while I was golfing or working they would see the sights.

We have never have done a cruise though. I would like to see Alaska on a cruise. I’d like to do an East Coast cruise and end up in Montreal. No interest in Caribbean cruises as I have been to many of the cruise destinations.

I always judged a destination with the same question I have at restaurants. Would I come back? More than 1/2 were no, but the globe is big. Lots of places we have not been to. But with Paradise (Maui) out there lurking, it’s hard to really want to go elsewhere.

Not been on a cruise. Wouldn’t mind but the Mrs has no desire. She says she would have to wear a life jacket the whole time and be worried. Saves me the money I guess.

her main point in travel is to go see her family in Japan. I like to see things so try and make side trips from Japan (have been to Taiwan and Korea) and small trips around Japan.

I would like to get back to Europe. Except for when we picked up the Volvo in 2016, and did a few days of sight seeing in Sweden and Norway and Denmark, I’ve not been back to Europe since 2000. Had a trip scheduled for 2020 but Covid killed that.

I’d like to do a Baltic and North Sea cruise. And maybe a Mediterranean one. Interesting places to stop at.

Last edited:
I've only ever been on 1 cruise, and that was a Disney cruise on the Disney Wonder from Port Canaveral to Nassau to Castaway Cay (Disney's private island). It was a fine cruise, and the live show's onboard after dinner we great! If only the boat wasn't so full of kids it would have been fine!

What’s a watch?

2023-06-29-17-26-40-1218146242.jpg

Good afternoon, all! Just returned from our grocery outing. Temps, you guys know, hot.

Cruise - I have no desire to cruise, at least not the Gulf. I made enough of those in the USCG. But I wouldn't mind the Inside Passage or the trip up the Mississippi. At least there is something to see while under way.

Timepiece - I was a pipefitter for some 15 years before moving into planning & scheduling. As a fitter I needed a cheap watch that could take the day to day abuse. I bought a Timex, probably in 1986 ,if memory serves, $39. I still use that watch when I know I'm going to be working outside or in the garage.

Trains - Still working on the Sylvan cars. Not going to get into the train room today. Ordered some Microtrain 1015 couplers for my Broadway Limited NW-2 locomotives. The stock couplers just don't seem to work when doing switching operations.

STAY SAFE
LATER

The problem with Italian restaurants around our area is they have been pressured to remove veal from the menus. I mean, come on, can’t have those baby cows being killed to feed humanity. Let’s get them older and fatter and then kill ’em.
Calves slaughtered for veal don't pollute the atmosphere with their farts since they aren't around for long. Additionally, true veal calves don't eat hay or grains which require "energy" to produce! Italian restaurants here still offer lots of veal entrees, but I suspect that much of it is actually baby beef.
They've probably outlawed foie gras in Wisconsin as well.

Watches - I never wore one for long. I've owned two in my life. One that Santa gave me in 1958, but was lost on the move from Brooklyn to New Orleans. The second was a ten year anniversary watch that the company gave me in 1982. The days of the week were in Spanish! I think that it's still in the drawer where I put it then. I learned to tell time by the sun when I was in the Boy Scouts, and my sense of the time is pretty accurate otherwise. Now I mostly don't care except for doctor appointments.

Calves slaughtered for veal don't pollute the atmosphere with their farts since they aren't around for long. Additionally, true veal calves don't eat hay or grains which require "energy" to produce! Italian restaurants here still offer lots of veal entrees, but I suspect that much of it is actually baby beef.
They've probably outlawed foie gras in Wisconsin as well.
Willie, were you ever able to make it down to "Little Italy" during the St. Joseph's Day feast. The old Italian women would have all these amazing dishes out along Mott St. The smell in the air was unbelievable. Fron calzones to cannoli, and everything between. Wow, I wish I could go back for an hour.

My current paint my wood porch project will likely continue for a third week.
I was out checking if the front porch paint was "cured" enough to put the furniture back. (painting over water proofing treatments this time)
The thermometer reads 100 F, so I guess the paint will not stick to chair feet.
I only work from 6 am to about 9 am. I am now working on the screened in back porch which faces east, so the sunshine and Alabama humidity limit my work. Plus it takes me several hours to recuperate enough to do anything else.

I had to go buy a second gallon of Sherman Williams 'super duper, solve all your weathering problem" paint, which was no longer on sale. With sales tax, it was $90.87. I got to figuring how it compared to modeling paints.
Two ounce bottles of craft paint at $.79 / bottle is $50.56, but would not last outdoors. Airbrush exterior paint is $6.99 /bottle or $447.36/ gallon.
Hummm! Maybe I will thin down some left over porch paint and paint boxcars with it.

Willie, were you ever able to make it down to "Little Italy" during the St. Joseph's Day feast. The old Italian women would have all these amazing dishes out along Mott St. The smell in the air was unbelievable. Fron calzones to cannoli, and everything between. Wow, I wish I could go back for an hour.
No I was not able to. My family left Brooklyn when I was 6 1/2 years old, and while I was free to roam my neighborhood at will back then, I was not familiar enough with the subway system to venture any further than the platforms. I had to sneak onto them as it was, under the turnstile. Fun place to grow up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back