Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 84, kinda humid. I'm out on the patio. Just fired the Kamado up again.

What's Troy cooking now?
Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 7.21.06 PM.png

How about the grease from yesterday's brisket? Seems the brisket was larger than my drip pan.

Need to let the grill run at over 500 F-degrees for a good hour to get that stuff cooked off.

Unfortunately, I can't do that to the Slo-Roller. It's Aluminium and will warp with high heat. They say don't go over 350° or 400°f with it.

And now it's sprinkling. Doesn't even show on radar. Just enough to get the furniture wet. So I moved inside. I'll watch from the kitchen window.

Well, back to civilization, I guess. Spent three days at the lake.
No television or computers. Down in a valley, so cell reception is lousey at best.
Monday was chaos with kids, grandkids, friends, family and a couple extra teenaged girlfriends.
I managed to not burn anything on the grill - hot dogs, brats and smoked sausage. A little potato salad, macaroni salad, sausage/cream cheese dip, and chips dragged the teenagers from the lake water to eat .
After the food was put away, my daughter made a triple batch of peach cobbler, which tasted great under a layer of vanilla ice cream. We had three people volunteer to help scrape the cobbler pan.
I did make my own late supper, a cheese and turkey sandwich. No hot dogs or sausages were left.
This morning started about 5 am, a cup of coffee on the screened front porch watching the sun rise and a slight breeze send light ripples across the water in front of the dock. As I loaded the car to come home, there were several ducks swimming by the dock and a gray herring dove into the water and caught a small fish. Mother nature working full time!

Better the Birds have their slump now, than in September. Injuries are the X factor with any team. I don't like the Cleveland Baseball Team, or the special treatment their expansion football team got after the Browns became the Ravens.
Exactly, injuries can ruin any team in any sport!

Don't get me started about the Browns/Ravens! Remember "dump Trumpy"? (Bob Trumpy, nothing political here.)

Where was all the outcry when the Colts were moved?

Good morning gang!

Spent last evening disassembling a 55 year old mower deck for the Cub Crapette. The blades didn’t budge. Even with a 3 ft long wrench. I soaked everything down with PB Blaster and will try again tonight. Then SWMBO wanted some Lexan cut and corners rounded for a Cricut project. No trains. 😕

BBL

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Foggy and 65° here. It will burn off and get up to 89° today.

I have an 8:00 am appointment with the dental hygienist this morning, so I will be brief here.
Busy day yesterday, with first attempts at cleaning the pool water. As expected, it got colder once the cover came off, especially since I had to top it off with about 3500 gallons of 58° well water. Today the cleaning will continue and I will add the chemicals as soon as I get back home.
Meanwhile I started the onion harvest out in the garden. It entails pulling those that are ready out, leaving them to dry in the sun for 10-12 days and then trimming the roots and tops off for storage. I keep them in the shade under the porch roof of the train shed where they will last until late October before sprouting. That is if any are left. After lunch I froze the next batch of Broccoli.

I never made it out to the train shed yesterday, so nothing new to report.
Since Hughie brought up LaBosky's the other day, how about another picture from a different angle.
03-19-19a 008.JPG

The town overall. Picture taken in 2019, additional details have been added but I can't locate that picture right now.
03-23-19 010.001.JPG

David - The structure swap looks really good.
Mikey - Sounds like a fun weekend. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Clint Eastwood is 93 today.
Gotta go now and get ready for my appointment. Everyone have a wonderful day.

Where was all the outcry when the Colts were moved?
Bottom line was that the TV Networks wanted a team in the Indianapolis Market, and they wanted to rebalance the Baltimore / DC Market - which they consider as one market. To build interest in the team formerly known as the Redskins, the Colts name had to stay with the team. Pete Roselle was all too willing to co-operate with his TV Masters. What they didn't figure on was that the Baltimore Fanbase was NOT going to accept this business decision, and would go great lengths to embarrass Pete Roselle. (To the extent of becoming a CFL City). When Art Modell had his differences with the powers in Cleveland and found a receptive new home in Baltimore, the league required that the "Browns" name remain in Ohio for use by an expansion team.

Gary Bettman used similar tactics in 1995, when the Devils won their first Stanley Cup. At the behest of their then national TV contractor, ABC, he tried to move the team to Nashville, an underserved sports market. Claiming Jersey didn't draw and there was no interest. The NY TV market was "overserved" by the Rangers and Islanders, and there was a dispute between the "NJ Stadium Authority" and devils ownership, that Bettman tried to exploit. Didn't work, but the Devils (28 years later), are still treated by the league and TV Networks as a stepchild.

If there are any doubts as to the power of TV Networks, look no further than the Arizona Coyotes, playing in a 4800 seat arena, in a market where no governing body wants them, but Bettman has persisted in keeping the team in the Phoenix TV Market regardless.

Evening all,

It was a busy day at the office. Primary domain controller decided it didn't want to work properly. It was running, but not servicing the dns for the network. Several reboots with updates and changes being tried. Decided I'd spin it down and move the replica in its place. Wasn't wanting to shut down, so I forced it down. Couldn't get to where I needed, so I turned it back on. Apparently, something must have been hung up in the virtual, and it restarted with all services running normally. Still not sure what was going on. On a virtual, there shouldn't be anything hanging up on a restart.

Sometimes takes more than a restart to clear things.

Side note I fixed steak fajitas for dinner and they were delicious.
If at first you don't succeeed, keep rebooting/restarting (power cycling)

Good morning gang!

Spent last evening disassembling a 55 year old mower deck for the Cub Crapette. The blades didn’t budge. Even with a 3 ft long wrench. I soaked everything down with PB Blaster and will try again tonight. Then SWMBO wanted some Lexan cut and corners rounded for a Cricut project. No trains. 😕

BBL
Acetylene/Oxygen torch, with a heating tip should do the trick if the penetrating oil doesn't work.

I wish you well and hope you get back to the trains. I miss the updates!

Bottom line was that the TV Networks wanted a team in the Indianapolis Market, and they wanted to rebalance the Baltimore / DC Market - which they consider as one market. To build interest in the team formerly known as the Redskins, the Colts name had to stay with the team. Pete Roselle was all too willing to co-operate with his TV Masters. What they didn't figure on was that the Baltimore Fanbase was NOT going to accept this business decision, and would go great lengths to embarrass Pete Roselle. (To the extent of becoming a CFL City). When Art Modell had his differences with the powers in Cleveland and found a receptive new home in Baltimore, the league required that the "Browns" name remain in Ohio for use by an expansion team.

Gary Bettman used similar tactics in 1995, when the Devils won their first Stanley Cup. At the behest of their then national TV contractor, ABC, he tried to move the team to Nashville, an underserved sports market. Claiming Jersey didn't draw and there was no interest. The NY TV market was "overserved" by the Rangers and Islanders, and there was a dispute between the "NJ Stadium Authority" and devils ownership, that Bettman tried to exploit. Didn't work, but the Devils (28 years later), are still treated by the league and TV Networks as a stepchild.

If there are any doubts as to the power of TV Networks, look no further than the Arizona Coyotes, playing in a 4800 seat arena, in a market where no governing body wants them, but Bettman has persisted in keeping the team in the Phoenix TV Market regardless.
You hit the nail on the head!

Big money rules! The other side of capitalism. It sucks sometimes, but it beats all the alternatives.

The Baltimore CFL Colts/Baltimore Football Club/Baltimore Stallions. The 1995 CFL Grey Cup Champions! I enjoyed those games. I lived less than 15 minutes from Memorial Stadium in Beverly Hills, and we had season tickets!

Regarding capitalism. I was listening to NPR yesterday. They were talking about the new Little Mermaid movie. They were whining, it should have been like this or that. On and on about some artistic crap and social consciousness. Complaining Disney was most concerned about profits.

No crap, profit is the point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back