Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all. A glass of Kefir please Flo. Here is some chocolate cake and cookies for all. Had a small birthday party with some of the family yesterday. My birthday today (thanks Curt) with more family visiting today. Also Mother's Day here as well, so there are cards in abundance.

Maybe, just maybe I will see the train room later.

Back later.

Good afternoon all. A glass of Kefir please Flo. Here is some chocolate cake and cookies for all. Had a small birthday party with some of the family yesterday. My birthday today (thanks Curt) with more family visiting today. Also Mother's Day here as well, so there are cards in abundance.

Maybe, just maybe I will see the train room later.

Back later.
David-Happy Birthday!

Hope you have a great day!

I wonder about the wisdom of storing them on Galveston Island. It's completely surrounded by salt water and is subject to tropical storms. I watched with no sound, so the videographer might have said something. Other than that it is an interesting video.
I didn't listen to the audio either. Rarely on those types of videos do I have sound on.

That was my first thought as well, why not store them in a much more forgiving climate. I was assuming that most were there to be scrapped.

I wonder about the wisdom of storing them on Galveston Island. It's completely surrounded by salt water and is subject to tropical storms. I watched with no sound, so the videographer might have said something. Other than that it is an interesting video.
I noticed lots of gensets in there. Those things, to be tactful, suffered reliability issues. The units with lines painted through their road numbers or reporting marks have been stricken from the roster. The others are probably there stored unserviceable, waiting for their leases to expire, or waiting for scrap prices to rise a few cents before being sold off.

Morning all! 26 here in the frozen tundra. Maybe it'll get to 44 if the weather guessers are right. I never got to the paint booth yesterday. After the grandkids, we went over to the daughter's condo to measure the elevator car. She's having a new patio door installed and we need to verify that the delivery people will be able to get it in there or if they'll have to take it up the stairs. After that, I had to take the old, dining room table apart and get it to the curb to make room for the new set she just bought. Then we had to get the box of furniture she bought at Sam's inside the house. Two recliners and a small table all in one box. 180 pounds. We got it out of the van and onto my dolly OK, and onto the porch, but the consarned thing simply would not fit through the front door! The front door is now badly scorched from the language I used when I found that out and will need repainted. We ended up unpacking the box in the porch and getting the stuff into the house a piece at a time. It's a good thing I love her! After all that I was out of energy. Dinner, and then I passed out in the recliner. Today will be a lighter day. Her new dining room set is being delivered, but those guys will be wrestling with that. It'll be well worth the $150 extra I paid! With the daughter moving out, she's wanting to do things to the house. We've had a new roof, we're getting new siding, and she wants new floors and new counters. I dodged the bullet on new cabinets. Thank God for small favors! Going to a rare coin show today. One of my other hobbies. I might get into the paint booth later today. We'll see.

Good morning from the chill of Wisconsin about 90 miles west of ESPEEFAN (Alan). 28f degrees feels like 18 with the breeze at 9 mph. Later today the weather guessing app says 48 but winds going into the 20’s, it doesn’t mention the gusting!

We watched 1 hockey game on TV and actually went to the Wisconsin Badger men’s game on campus last night. The men’s game had 12,000+ other hockey crazies in attendance and it was a needed win by the Badgers to stay alive in the conference championships.

on TV though was what we really enjoy. The #2 nationally ranked Wisconsin Women destroyed the #1 ranked team from Ohio State to win the conference Championship. On to the NCAA’s next Saturday for the ladies who by then should be ranked #1!

The paint booth is moved as is most of my weathering and painting equipment. Now to do anything I have to drive 2 miles to my weathering bench. I did keep my Pan Pastels and pigments here and a card table. The closing is 5/1 but we are slowly moving things.

At this time and I just asked, there are no plans for the day

Good Morning All. Clear and a chilly 34° here this morning. This is liable to be that last time that we see temperatures this low until November. My average last frost here is March 20 or so, and the 10 day forecast doesn't have anything close to that, yet! In this area, we're still under the La Niña weather pattern which brings us relatively mild winters. Mid-60's to upper-70's for that same 10 day forecast. Lows generally in the mid-40's.

I didn't do much outside yesterday, even though it was a nice day. I'll make up for it today, as the grass/weeds are already exploding from the rain last week. I'll mostly be using the small electric push mower in order to save the lush green grass clippings for use as mulch in the garden in the next few days. I chose not to pay over $1600 for the bagger/vacuum apparatus for the new garden tractor last spring. Grilling is in order for this evening as wind and temperatures will be right.

I did spend some time out in the train shed yesterday. I added headstones to the cemetery and made a few more. I got the container chassis's fixed but it took two tries. I first reamed out the .040" hole to .050", which the pegs fit into, but still didn't allow correct alignment. So I upped the drill bit to .060" and got a good fit without ripping the hole through the sides. Bad picture but you get the idea!
IMG_1434.JPG

Additionally, I did assemble a tank container that I purchased Friday.
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG

I didn't do any of the pending landscape projects because I was mainly at the workbench (in front of the window), keeping my eye on the granddog who was enjoying the yard after being cooped up inside all day Thursday and Friday due to the rain.
Now that the workbench is cleared of the containers, I am going to start a laser-cut wood kit from JL Innovative Design.
IMG_1433.JPG

I don't intend to use either structure as RR buildings, but as utility sheds around the layout. Note the misspelling of the word gauge describing the push cart. Spelling is one of the things that the nuns really concentrated on when I was in Catholic grade school. I actually have two of these kits because I need outbuildings.

David - Happy Birthday.
Karl - That workbench is just too clean and orderly.
Jaz - You're correct, that ain't no dog, but it is indeed a coyote. Here's one from my neighborhood.
1710074181091.png

Chris - While I knew of the "Beep" for many years, I never actually got to see it operate. What was always interesting was that it retained it's "cigar band" paint scheme it's whole service life including after it was absorbed into the BNSF system. It has it's own Wikipedia page as well.

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back