Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings: The Sun is up, I am up, and the temp is expected to be 75 today.
Good to see Louis is somewhat back!
Good to see that Chet is somewhat back as well.
Think I will have Mark's breakfast order too!

MLB Opening Day schedule: Thursday, March 28

Good Morning Gents

53 and trying to rain. Again.
I'll have the tamale omlette with rye toast & coffee.
More progress in the train room yesterday after the last few days of "terbotax trauma". I framed in the 42" square peninsula for a sugar refinery and oil loading facility unless the idiot CEO of this railroad changes his mind again. (I think he drinks beer while doing his planning) The control panel will mount on the close end of the peninsula, then some serious wiring can be done. All the pictures ya'll are posting are providing some good ideas but I know this old truckdrivers modeling skills will never equal what I see here.
Dave in PV
IMG_3870.JPG

Good afternoon, checking in during the lunch break, getting a little "cement butt" today with a day of classroom lectures.

Lots of activity since yesterday, Chet glad you are getting to feel somwhat better, Louis good to hear more from you today;

Today its a video rather than a layout shot, here is a "prototypical" rail car loading of logs. Not sure if this method will work with monster logs:

TO Get them off the railcar, they rolled them and let gravity drop them into the pile

Have a great day! Dave

Back and heading back down to the trains................

Working on an area of scenery that needed to be completed. Will finish after lunch and tackle some other projects.

I wanted to string some EZ Line for the utility poles coming from the Pine River town and connecting to main power lines on the right of way. I did like how the wire would line up and be connected, so I add another pole at a angle then I'll be abler to string the just three lines and have them look prototypical.

Watched great video on MR Video Plus on line presentation about the Puffer Bridge Lines by Seth Puffer, a medium sized, highly detail model railroad in HO scale. Seth's structures are very close to George Sellois and John Allen's work along with convincing scenery.

Down to the trains.

Later..................

Greg

Back and finished with the hobby for today.

I did start stringing the EZ Line for the telephone lines, two lines per pole. Then I started the electrical lines and stopped working when I got tired and my over sized sleeves were catching on the scenery. Being tired is no fun when working on the hobby. I went beyond the number of poles I intended to wire, but that's a good thing.

I ran I switcher into the Pine River Yard which was those track was clean and the locomotives all ran well. Today a locomotive stopped dead in its tracks and I think there most be a loose drop feeder that needs attention. I'll check into that tomorrow.

I installed the first Horizons back drop and it helps finish the area. The plan is to use just sections of the Horizons like a city sky line may only have select buildings that can be seen. The general practice is to extend the Horizons back grounds along the entire city scape. This area is at early eye level for most individuals. I'm installing the Horizons between the openings of the Walther's background buildings and some showing up behind the back drop buildings.

Looked up on the web my Milwaukee Road locomotive #2428 to see the real thing. I fogot if this locomotive is sound equipped. I did find some photographs of really weathered Milwaukee locomotives on the web.

I need to design some markers to identify the turnouts in the Saxeville Interchange. The engineers can see their engines but with the number of turnouts its confusing to select the turnout that needed to be thrown. The cross over turnouts are wired in tandem and one throw of a toggle switch operates two turnouts.

Almost Miller Time....

Greg

Weatherd cons.jpg

Unknown where I found this picture, but I'm growing fond of old, beat up gondolas. -Greg

Afternoon All,

Started out doing chores, then I bit the bullet and put the track on the build. I decided to go with Code 83 (the size looked good). I ended up using gel CA and I used a NMRA gauge for proper spacing. I also put on the walkways but I'm holding off putting on the handrails (fragile) until I'm ready to place it on the layout. The track is not quite centered but it will be seen at an angle so no issues. I tested the spacing with a truck set then a H21 gondola.

Thank you to everyone that had suggestions. I thought about them all.

Tomorrow I have been volunteered to volunteer at the elementary school by higher authority o_Oso I will be there all day.

Dave- Really nice video.

Beady- Interesting photos.

Louis- Great pictures.

Willie- Thank you. Very nice layout shot. The closest Manatees to me are about 60-90 minutes away.

Greg- I did think about those 2 choices but I was afraid they wouldn't have a strong enough hold on the rail.

Joe- Thank you. That building looks like it's floating with the dark base. Actually the ramp to the trestle is already in place. I do need to lower the height. The current top of rail sits at 2 1/4 inches high. The new rail height is 1 1/2 inches high. I could put a 3/4 inch concrete bases under the piers but I think it will look better modifying the approach track.

20190327_141913-1512x2016.jpg

Howdy ... I see some very impressive posts here.

Willie ... that’s a nice container train.

Chet ... interesting photo of your logging operations.

Dave LASM... your video is outstanding .

Dave Truck Dad ... it looks like you put together some solid bechwork.

Curt ... Your coal trestle project looks great.

Beady ... the photo of the train falling out of a building definately looks staged.

Greg ... the gondolas are weathered realistically.

Below is a local freight train with a GP7 and the Empire Builder.

6A63DDE4-3568-41BC-9A54-2FDE7721EECA.jpeg

Evening fellers. I know I've been out of the loop for awhile. I'm glad everyone enjoyed my pictures I shared. I'll try to keep them coming. This past Sunday is a day that is going to haunt me forever. I had to bear witness to my daughter riding on her runaway bike. A new bike I might add. It ended in her striking a tree. I of course gave chase but my legs can only move so fast. I fell while trying to catch her. To which I knocked the wind out of myself and got banged up pretty good. My daughter was knocked unconscious when shit hit the tree. It should be noted she was wearing her helmet. The helmet most likely saved her life. She truck the tree with such force that it turned her front wheel on her bike sideways. The bike other than that survived undamaged. My daughter was not so lucky. She spent two days in the ICU having scans done. CT scan picked up something on the front of her head. Doctors thought she had either a frontal brain bleed or bruise. An MRI scan proved it is only a deep tissue bruise on her forehead. Most likely her initial point of impact. She also has a small laceration on her liver which causes quite a discomfort for her. The right side of her face is pretty mangled from the accident. She is recovering nicely and the swelling on her face is starting to go down. She was on a liquid diet until today. Poor childs birthday is today as well. My daughter turned 7 today and had to celebrate it from a hospital bed. I know this is a long winded post. I just thought I would share with y'all. We haven't gotten word yet as to when my daughter will be released from the hospital. Hopefully tomorrow. Oh and one last note. The doctor said she has nerve damage on her right side of her face. That she wouldn't be able to smile on that side or have any function on that side for some time. She actually smiled today and the right side functions just like it should. She should make a full recovery and is progressing very well. Now to just bring her home.

Evening fellers. I know I've been out of the loop for awhile. I'm glad everyone enjoyed my pictures I shared. I'll try to keep them coming. This past Sunday is a day that is going to haunt me forever. I had to bear witness to my daughter riding on her runaway bike. A new bike I might add. It ended in her striking a tree. I of course gave chase but my legs can only move so fast. I fell while trying to catch her. To which I knocked the wind out of myself and got banged up pretty good. My daughter was knocked unconscious when shit hit the tree. It should be noted she was wearing her helmet. The helmet most likely saved her life. She truck the tree with such force that it turned her front wheel on her bike sideways. The bike other than that survived undamaged. My daughter was not so lucky. She spent two days in the ICU having scans done. CT scan picked up something on the front of her head. Doctors thought she had either a frontal brain bleed or bruise. An MRI scan proved it is only a deep tissue bruise on her forehead. Most likely her initial point of impact. She also has a small laceration on her liver which causes quite a discomfort for her. The right side of her face is pretty mangled from the accident. She is recovering nicely and the swelling on her face is starting to go down. She was on a liquid diet until today. Poor childs birthday is today as well. My daughter turned 7 today and had to celebrate it from a hospital bed. I know this is a long winded post. I just thought I would share with y'all. We haven't gotten word yet as to when my daughter will be released from the hospital. Hopefully tomorrow. Oh and one last note. The doctor said she has nerve damage on her right side of her face. That she wouldn't be able to smile on that side or have any function on that side for some time. She actually smiled today and the right side functions just like it should. She should make a full recovery and is progressing very well. Now to just bring her home.
Wow. It sounds like, all told, you/your daughter managed to dodge the worst of the bullets. I've been in your shoes and, unfortunately, I have to tell you it's not over; I remember one summer when our two sons were in the ER so often they knew all the staff by name. And then there was that phone call that started off, "Dad, we're ok, but the car's on its side in a ditch." And then there was the time our older son got hit in the head by a hovering Army helicopter, not to forget our younger son's two tours in Iraq. I'm not trying to scare you, just warn you. What you're going through now is a parent's lot; if you're not either frustrated or terrified, you're not doing your job.

Now that I've made you feel better, I hope your daughter comes home soon and has a rapid recovery. Tell her Happy Birthday for me.

Justin,how all is well with your daughter and she comes home soon.

Good morning.....Going Saturday to see a layout from another club with a few guys from our club.Might even be a couple of home layouts also. Sunday is a one day show,se if I can pickup any goodies.

Justin, Scary situation, for sure! Glad it sounds like she is going to pull through. I'm with everyone in hoping for a full recovery!

Good morning, y'all. 24° and sunny, but going up toward 60° later today.

Justin: That had to be agony for you, thankfully, it sounds like she is recovering. Thankfully, she was wearing the helmet.

Garry: Nice photo. Dave: Nice video, Greg: The gondolas look like gondolas should look.

Curt: From memory, coal trestles were not very high, just enough to for a man to stand and get a conveyor into position to transload the coal.
1½" is probably better.

Boris

Justin I'm so sorry to hear about your daughters accident, but keep in mind that is what it is, an accident. As a father of 3 with 2 grandsons I know we do our best to keep them safe, but try as we might we can never prevent every mishap. My point is, I don't want you to feel guilty. You were right to buy her the bike, you did the best you could by also buying the helmet, you are a good dad.

God be with you and your family. I hope you all make a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back