Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Johnny - The logging camp looks good, but how do they load the logs?? "
Chet - really strong woodsmen ;)

Actually, I haven't bought a crane yet, but will someday.

Here's how I load mine. May not be prototypical, but it's my railroad and I'll load them the way I want.

20180113_150852.jpg

Afternoon All,

Went to lunch with the wife today so that she could use her Red Robin free birthday meal. Today I glued on all the upper support braces (3 sizes). The largest supports the walkways and track, the medium support the track and are only where coal will not be dropped, and the short ones are where coal is dropped and supports the track. I also painted the 2- Code 70 rails.

I have a question about gluing down the rail. The kit recommends Pliobond (I have never used it) as the glue. I have to glue one rail down and use a track gauge for the second rail for correct width. I have CA , but am afraid that I will be moving the rail and am concerned about the glue drying too soon or leaving residue on the supports. Any suggestions? I'm also debating not to use the Code 70 and using Code 83 instead.

Mark- Great picture. Is the bridge a kit or scratch built? All my stuff but 1 steamer has either Tsunami or QSI since they were done years ago. I do have a P2K Heritage 0-6-0 that has the WOW KA and I love the sound it has. I'd prefer the WOW in all my locos, but I can't justify the expense of changing a perfectly good decoder. I do believe that Tsunami sounds kind of generic.

Greg- Nice looking caboose and nice layout shot.

Garry- That's funny. MOH says the same thing about SC where she grew up.

Johnny- Nice layout scene.

Willie- Thank you. Oh no, your layout scene looks like the apocalypse has occurred!:eek:

Dave- Thank you. Nice layout scene.

Chet- Glad you're doing better. Nice rail shot.

20190326_144311-1512x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

CURT -- YOU have any Goo laying around?
That's what I would use for the rail.

You know the drill - one rail at a time - spread the glue on the bottom - wait overnight before doing the second rail (unless you are confident) Pliobond is more or less the same stuff.

For some reason, I cannot get out of the "BOLD" function?

Good afternoon. Back from the Doc. All is fine, except I may be joining the shoulder surgery club...Of course, I need to see an Orthopedic Surgeon after I check with my Rheumatologist first. Ok, agreed, I won't put the cart begore the horse. Also had blood drawn while at the doctor's office.

Curt: I'm not fond of Walthers Goo for bonding rail to wood, I use ACC b I would go with ACC. That's a good idea to let the first rail dry first, before attempting the second. The coal trestle looks better with the ties attached. How much does your track have to rise to reach the track level of the trestle?

Chet: Oxi is painless, but Beer is Better. Today's track picture is a like. Hope you are feeling better.

Willie, Greg, Johnny and Dave: Just saw your photos, ;) Good work guys!

Boris

Mark- I don't have any steamers but have 5 WOW sound diesels from TCS.Any engine I buy I'll get non sound so I can put it in.What I like is being able to speed match using the audio assist.I have 3 Intermountain 2 Atlas that run great together.

Yes, Good morning! I think we just went through the period of time where it doesn't go below freezing. It was cool at +10 degrees above yesterday morning; but, right now it is +37 degrees above and may get up to +47 degrees this afternoon. Supposed to be cloudy all day. I do get board with the weather and at times I wonder why I bother taking the time to talk about it here. What other's post here is their bidness.

Flo, I'd like to splurge today and have steak and two eggs over easy with Hash Browns, Glass of O.J. and keep the coffee coming! Thanks for all you do and put up with, with these Grouchy, Old, Model Railroaders riding this train, where are we going, anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone. 42 and sunny. Weekend forecast for one night of 30 degrees, other than that we're moving into spring. Allergies have been killing me these days!

Chet - I like your approach to log-loading - I'll keep it in mind.

Nothing to report from the train room today. Too tired last night to do anything.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning y'all. 24° and clear at sunrise. Today will be busy, although less intense than yesterday.

3-25-19 Headley Fireproof Warehouse 5th & Upland sts.jpg

Another fireground scene. Focus behind the fire truck to the structure which was built early in the Twentieth century. It was built as a "Fireproof" Warehouse, it is fully sprinklered with water flow alarms directly connected to the fire alarm system, and has been that way over the life of the building. Initially owned by a warehousing company that was also in to heavy equipment, the structure was later used as a warehouse for Piasecki Aircraft then later Boeing - Vertol, and currently it serves a large Charter School system. The loading dock was served by a two track siding, which required lining up car doors when spotting cars. The track and the lead are now gone, but the building remains. Photo courtesy IAFF Local 1400.

This could make for an interesting modeling project, and I can foresee, a future background building. Much detail from the building's past remains.

On another note, the fire truck is a 2017 Pierce that pumps 2000 gpm, and has a water capacity of 750 gallons. When I was with that department, back in the 70s, the average engine pumped 750 gpm, and carried 275 gallons of water.

I wish Athearn would re-run the Mack B cab fire trucks with an open cab. They would go well with what I'm trying to do.

Boris

Louis: Nice photos. I especially like the photo of the "Shop" tracks at Ivy City, DC. with the DOT Test Train in the background, the Golden Spike Centennial GG1, another "G', and E Units in B&O Capitol Dome scheme and Southern Railways standard scheme.

The 4935 coming out of the B&P Tunnel with a "HEP" "Power car" trailing. Personally, I prefer the PRR's Single Stripe scheme to the five stripe scheme.

Nice to see you are feeling better.

Boris

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 49°. Yesterday's high of 69° was a bit warmer than the forecast, supposed to reach 74° today. Mowed some more parts of the yard yesterday, still need to venture out to the "back 40" which includes a 300' drainage swale that still has some water in it. Meanwhile my neighbor mowed about 1/3 of my hayfield (~4 acres) over the weekend. There's no fence between me and the uphill property west of me, and he works both at the same time.
Meanwhile the fiber-optic crew continues to lay the conduit across the front (east) side of my property, they seem to get about 350'/day, so they should be over to the next property later today. There's still a big hole on either side of the easement road/county road intersection on my SE corner; they're supposed to install a "vault" on my corner. They have filled in the two boring pits that they dug along the south side.

Out in the train shed, I accomplished my two goals, albeit simple ones. Added some various shades of paint to the ties and touched up the sky backdrop. I did spend some time (for the third day in a row) rehabbing one of the structures that I removed. It is a very old Magnuson resin kit. Any of you who have built these kits in the past will understand the issues. I originally had a minor warp which I was able to remove with a hot water soak. I then used Walther's Goo to assemble the walls. One corner became slightly separated over the years and I tried to fix it using Goo again. After 36 hours with clamps and weights, it seemed to have re-adhered. But NO! A few hours after removing everything, it separated again. After scraping the old adhesive out, I used some Gorilla CA gel this time, with the same clamps and weights. We'll see this morning. I am going to have to touch up the paint now as well. Fortunately, I write the paint colors used on the original instructions and put them in a file cabinet drawer. So I do know what color I used and still have some of it. Today's other plans include ballasting the spurs and possibly starting the roads/parking areas. Once I get the Magnuson structure off the workbench, I will also add some signs and other minor details to all of the structures.
OK, I can't compete with Chet's rail picture of the day, but here's one from my layout along the same lines.
03-23-19 009.JPG

I don't provide much of a ROW along my lines!

Greg - Good luck with the backdrop project. Looking forward to seeing what you can do. As you might have seen from my pictures, I only attempt simple blue skies with green horizons. I do have a few places where I have added some background structure pictures in places, something that I am contemplating on the current scenery improvement project.
Curt -
Willie- Thank you. Oh no, your layout scene looks like the apocalypse has occurred!
That's not the worst, there's areas that look like a tornado passed through!o_O I'm looking forward to this area, as my scenery skills have gotten better and now that I have completed benchwork, wiring and main line construction, I can devote more time to scenery if I can leave the throttle alone.
I am totally unfamiliar with coal trestles but I am admiring your work and learning a bit about them. I actually have two but don't know if I can incorporate both of them into the layout. One of them will definitely be used at a crushed rock/landscaping supply dealership. Coal is not typically used in my modeled area except by power plants.

So today is Manatee Appreciation Day. I guess that we should all kiss a manatee to let them know that they are appreciated. However Curt or Phil are the only ones who might have any living nearby and that might still be a several hour trip.

Everyone have an awesome day.

Good morning. 35 degrees to start off the day with overcast skies. Actually got up to 59 degrees yesterday.

Louis
- Nice photo of that shiny GG-1. Like the photo of the Amtrak train in Bozeman. People along the old North Coast Limited line fought hard to keep the service, but alas, Amtrak knew better. The line serviced larger cities than the old Great Northern Empire Builder line. Livingston, just over the pass from Bozeman was a destination for people wanting to visit Yellowstone Park as was Bozeman. Also, there are 2 great ski areas within 30 miles of Bozeman. We have a lot of visitors to the ski areas and back when there was rail serivce, a lot of the skiers used the train. Today, the Bozeman airport is the busiest airport in the state with more flights than any other airport in the state. Like the dog begging at the dining car. I can remember a newspaper article about the dog.

Willie -
Like the photo looking down the main line. Thumb up.gif That was a good idea to keep the paint colors you used on your buildings. Those resin kits can be a bear to work with. I have built a couple of them but prefer wood kits or plastic.

Still bored being grounded and stuck in the house. The train room is helping me keep my sanity. Ran trains for quite a while yesterday and will be heading down there shortly.

Here's a rail picture for today.

a-railroad.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and getting warmer here...tomorrow in the 60's (maybe).

Curt: How about using white glue or canopy glue which would give you sometime to make any adjustments to the ties spacing?

Nice pictures everyone.

Willie: Great mainline, I'll keep you posted on the back drop installation. Most sections of my layout have scenery which rises above the layout and blends into the blue painted drywall. This elevated scenery is a combination of rock formaions, trees and bushes. I like bull board signs and they provide points of interest. The paper back ground buildings will be in an industrial area of the Saxeville Interchange.

Heading down to the trains soon.

I like to visit old downtown areas of the smaller towns in Wisconsin and they give me ideas for buildings with the array of different styles and colors you'll find in the small towns of Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back