Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I'm getting how things work around here. Some times I write a reply the reply gets posted, other times not.

Example, I replied this morning too Justin's post making a suggestion. That he might be interested in body mounting the couplers to add reliability and have better performance when pulling and pushing long trains.

So I hit PQR.. : message pops up requires a moderator to over see before it can be viewed... and has not showed up yet, I've one that never posted.

Not a fan of wasting my time so I'm asking the question..
So what's with this,?

I see no pattern, a message that says I'm too ugly for the forum. Or I'm a tender foot and not allowed to post a reply that's longer that 14 words.

rant over
Greg

One more try getting ready new machine is coming.

View attachment 65544

Have a little patience Greg. I remember there seemed to be a probationary period when I 1st joined. It should level out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. 33° and clear, bright moon, not quite last quarter yet. I must be early since the sun isn't up yet! Another beautiful day in North Central Texas yesterday, mid-60's and sunny, just right for going out and voting in the primary election. As expected in my 13th Congressional District, the incumbent Republican received the nomination since he had no primary opponent. There was only one Democratic running in their primary. It's a very conservative district and there was not even a Democratic opponent in four of the last ten elections cycles that the incumbent has won.
Did some more ballasting out in the train shed yesterday. Here are some progress shots. The first two are before shots of the area as seen on Sunday.
03-07-18 001.JPG03-07-18 002.JPG
Next is a shot after the horizon and ground were painted.
03-07-18 004.JPG
Trees were added to the horizon and main line got ballasted. This is the results of Monday's labor.
03-07-18 006.JPG
Yesterday I ballasted the siding (different color) and the Frisco trackage.
03-07-18 015.JPG
I stopped the ballasting at the switches since I was ready for a beer by that time and I don't model when indulging. I switched to running trains instead. I started rehab on the structure in the first two pictures as well. This structure needs some help. As I posted, I got it as part of an estate sale that I went to about a dozen years ago. I got some other structures along with this one and all had to be reworked, one to the point of complete disassembly. The modeler, (estranged husband of the woman holding the sale) appeared to have rushed through the assembly of all of them and it showed. Still worth the purchase since I calculated that I paid about $3 for each of them.

Garry - I meant to comment yesterday on what a great job your friend did painting that CAD car.
Greg (GA) - That is strange regarding your post, especially considering that you are past the number of preliminary posts for a new member. It showed up for me this morning. Might have been there later yesterday, but I didn't revisit the Coffee Shop after noonish or so.

I'll pause here as this site is down again. It seems to intermittently go off-line for me at this time of day. It's not me or my ISP, as all other internet sites are working.

Sherrel - I have seen that picture of the Wye before. I believe that it is somewhere in Italy where they couldn't fit a traditional wye into the area that they had. It is interesting. Good news as well on the health front. By the way, I was reading yesterday about a forum that the Democrats in your district scheduled for the five candidates who are running for Darrell Issa'a seat; only one showed up! I'd post a link but I have used my quota per post already.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 31 and clearing here in Springfield, heading for 42. Winter continues to loosen its clutches on this part of the country. Hope all you guys in the Northeast area are surviving these noreasters that keep hitting you! Even here in SW MO the wind was howling all day yesterday and bitter cold, even a few snow flurries (what my mother used to call a "four-flaker").

Greg - Nice looking shop you've got there. Envy is creeping over me :cool:

Not much to report from the train room. Just plugging away at laying roads in the town, and working on the infrastructure for the hills on the expansion section of the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Hey GREG- Can't help you on posting problem- I are igorent when it comes to "PUKERS"
Want to know , where in DADE are you? Lived there 50 years.
Phil

Grew up in West Miami, last placed lived, sw 137 ave and Miller rd, Bent tree .... moved in 87, for the same reasons most move from Miami...... LOL

Greg the same happens to me too. It just started doing that to me. I just scratch my head and move on really. As for the body mounted couplers. All of my active fleet has those. The only truck mounted ones I have are ones that take up residence in a box. They all have horn hook style couplers too. So yeah I have no need for them. I only keep them for childhood memories only as that's when I started getting them. The issue at hand deals with one of my Control Cor 100T hoppers. It has a drooping coupler. It's one I haven't done a permanent fix to yet. It'll get it repaired tomorrow before I head off to work. But it's good looking out. And a good suggestion.

Justin

Way to go that is a great modification for the rolling stock.

Have a little patience Greg. I remember there seemed to be a probationary period when I 1st joined. It should level out soon.

That's fine, and understand the reasoning. Usually that kind of a restriction shows up when posting pictures, or allowing a personal avatar to be uploaded.

Greg

The post monster just ate my post, and after I had the multi quote deal working.

So will try things this way

Phil: grew up in West Miami, bought a town house, Bent Tree, 137av & Miller red.. SW. Move for the same reason most leave Miami, in 87.

Justin: that's great, the best modification one can make to the rolling stock

Karl: that's fine and I understand the reasoning for it. I was use to seeing that type of restriction for uploading photos or changing the avatar ..

Johnny: thanks

For the weather 38 ..&...sunny far got some wind gusting 18mph.

Cheers, next cup is on me .

Greg

Good morning. Clear skies and that means colder weather. It is, 12 degrees to start off the day. Also started the day off with BACON this morning. Great stuff. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I took off early to plow out the driveway again. Monday we had some light winds which drifted in the entire far side of the drive making it impassable, Git it done and we should be up into the high 30's again today.

20180306_143138.jpg 20180306_143147.jpg Starting to get old.

Greg - Like Karl mentioned, give it a bit of time and there should be no problems at all posting. You made a good point about body mounted couplers. I had a few passengr cars with truck mounted couplers and it was almost impossible to back them through a few turnouts into a station without a derailment. They were quickly converted to body mounted couplers and no more problems at all. Nice looking shop. You could use a bit more room though.

Justin
- Nice photo of your "workhorses". The time you spent properly laying track seems well worth the time and effort.

Sherrel - That is an interesting photo. Don't think I would want to try to model that one. Hope you finally got warm. What I do to get photos from my phone to the computer is to just email them to myself and than download them into a picture album. No sweat.

Willie - Nice looking track. Stopping the ballasting at the switches because it was time for a beer sounds like a cop out. Not a bad price on the buildings even though they may need some work.

Time for a rail photo. Don't think I can top that wye though.

rail-52253_960_720.jpg

Later

I kinda like sleeping in 40 degree temps. I left the window open a little last night when the 68 degree house temp seemed to warm.

Chet: I have considered moving to Montana in the past. Then I see a photo like the two you posted and the idea goes away. Had my fill of snow years ago.

Sam - That does keep some people from moving here but far from enough. We haven't really had a bad winter in quite a few years. Hoping that it will drive some of the newbies who have just moved here out.

I have decided to be lazy. I have for the most part run out of space to put any more structures of any size. Years ago I build a little barn/blacksmith shop and when I got the Walthers sales catalog last week, they had this built up Woodland Scenics trailer on sale.

BR5060_c_1.jpg Trailers are quite common in rural areas so I will use this little trailer for a home for the blacksmith. I have a nice craftsman wood kit for a home among other kits, but I have so many projects sitting on my work bench (that I have managed to avoid) this built up trailer won't have to get in line with the pile of other neglected projects and will be able to be set right onto the layout with the blacksmith shop. This area along the spur down to my salvage yard need the scenery updated so why not add this and add a bit of a mini scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Spent several hours distributing "Best of Certificates" for businesses in Winter Garden. MOH is a moderator of the local forum that voted for them. After getting home I made the parts of the road crossing the tracks and painted the lot in craft paint black. Tomorrow I'll cover that in W/S Asphalt. I also spray painted flat black 2 coats on the road styrene pieces.

Greg- Now that is a workshop.

Willie- Nice progress on the layout.

Johnny- I read the other day that there are still large demonstrations going on in MO. Is that true?

Chet- Nice rail shot and trailer. Thanks for your response. He put almost 200 rounds through it today without issue:confused:.

20180307_145801.jpg

20180307_152802.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon, y'all. 32° and snowing...

Willie and Curt: Nice work there with the ballasting and crossings.

Finished our Federal taxes, not getting back as much as in prior years. State's a snap, as our income is pretty much exempt. There are benefits to living here.

During the height of the snow storm, the doorbell rang. I answered, and some young man was selling something to do with "green energy" Told him I don't see anything wrong with coal generated power, so he moved on. Poor sales pitch, I don't care how it's generated, I want cheaper energy. If he were to explain how he could save me money...

Heard from Louis, the other day, He is doing Ok. Getting ready for youth baseball.

Chet - I agree with Sam - growing up on Long Island back in the 50s and 60s (when a snowstorm was a SNOWSTORM) and skiing in Vermont in my late teens and early 20's and being part-owner of a ski lodge in Vermont for a number of years - - I had my fill of snow. Besides, my blood just doesn't seem to take the cold the way it used to, plus I have some serious frostbite on my right fingers (from skiing) which prevents me from staying out in serious cold weather very long. Okay, enough whining from me!

Curt - Not sure what demonstrations you're referring to. I haven't noticed anything major around here - - maybe in St. Louis?

Everyone - a follow-up question on icing stations - That Tichy Train Group 18" icing station I asked about the other day - doesn't seem to have an ice house with it. I noticed a Walther's icing station that has the platform as well as the ice house. Anyone out there have that Walther's structure? Its dimensions will work for me, even with the ice house. Just wanted your opinions on assembling that structure.

Everyone - a follow-up question on icing stations - That Tichy Train Group 18" icing station I asked about the other day - doesn't seem to have an ice house with it. I noticed a Walther's icing station that has the platform as well as the ice house. Anyone out there have that Walther's structure? Its dimensions will work for me, even with the ice house. Just wanted your opinions on assembling that structure.

I may still have the ice house that came with the Walthers platform. It was too large for the area I had and ended up scratch building my own. If I still have it hanging around, you are more than welcome to it.

Drives me nuts. Dad is so hung up on the basketball team. Can't talk to me. Then again talking to me is difficult. My speech is poor. I know that.

Johnny- I have the Walthers kit. What dimensions do you need?
Johnny - I do have the ice house, but 2 of the roof vents were used on my scratch built one. You could move the remaining one to the center.20180307_160434.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back