Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Cooler here today and supposed to be all week. Did some chores today and then glued in the cut down yard sticks. After they dried I put down the 1/16th basswood sheet (22" x 5") for the foundation. I have some weight on it and will paint it aged concrete tomorrow.

VA Ken- Sounds like our electricity after the last hurricane.

Karl- Unfortunately I think they are the wave of the future in retail.

Ken- No problemo...I'm trying to keep my Spanish skills up to date.:confused:

Greg- Good luck tomorrow with your eye surgery.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 61. I talked to Sherrel a little while ago, and it is warmer here than at his house. The humidity is about the same, too. 17%.

All is well. After I started tinning my wires they go right down and hold. I'll have to work in all the feeders but my main buss wiring is in and I have power to my major blocks. I also got my marshalling yard down today as well.
fb548c2bf654598c89b87c3620ed8632.jpg

Justin

Good afternoon. A very boring race at Las Vegas. We did get something accomplished though. My daughter in laws mom is a cook at an outstanding local restaurant ad we were able to purchase some of the best pork products around. Not from Sysco ir FSA, but from a company that the owner has been buying from for close to 40 years. Spent part of the afternoon vacuum sealing the bacon (bacon to die for) and great pork sausage patties to go in the freezer. . We got a case of each which we split with my son & DIL. Bacon has really gotten unreasonably expensive (thank you ethanol) and this is some nice thick cut bacon. Cost us $3.00 a pound. I know what's for breakfast tomorrow morning. BACON !

Justin - Progress is being made looking good. Did the NS wheels get there yet?

Sherrel
- No brainer. TRAIN

Later

Good afternoon. A very boring race at Las Vegas. We did get something accomplished though. My daughter in laws mom is a cook at an outstanding local restaurant ad we were able to purchase some of the best pork products around. Not from Sysco ir FSA, but from a company that the owner has been buying from for close to 40 years. Spent part of the afternoon vacuum sealing the bacon (bacon to die for) and great pork sausage patties to go in the freezer. . We got a case of each which we split with my son & DIL. Bacon has really gotten unreasonably expensive (thank you ethanol) and this is some nice thick cut bacon. Cost us $3.00 a pound. I know what's for breakfast tomorrow morning. BACON !

Justin - Progress is being made looking good. Did the NS wheels get there yet?

Sherrel
- No brainer. TRAIN

Later
They sure did! Already installed too. I'll have to do up some modifications to them. Nothing a Dremel can't solve.

Justin

Justin: That is looking really good. I am so jealous.

Sherrel: Since this is a TRAINS board I will leave the choice to you.

Chet: Mmmmm, bacon!

Saturday, went to pick up my amplifier, it was at the amplifier hospital. Brought it home, short recovery warmed it up. Spent some time getting the imaging correct, once dialed back in. So the drummer is heard equally out both sides.

For the next day and half listened to tapes, The music recorded is form 73 - 87, rock and timeless jazz. I can say that about jazz, it's mostly a composition of rhythms and instruments.

My weekend coffee shop story :cool:
Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
TRAIN WINS .. TRAIN WINS (as if there was any doubt)!
Have to get up with you guys inna morning. Still will be a long day, and may be a little late for the SIL's Party!

PE Red Car OERM (Large).JPG

Just watched an awesome movie, "American Sniper"!
I had not seen it. Clint Eastwood sure knows his directing!

Justin - That is looking real good ... glad your soldering is improving!

CHET -- Envious of the bacon deal. About $4-5.00 a pound even at Wally World out here - and that's with a lousy cut!

An early morning check in.....
I fell asleep during the race an missed the whole last stage.
Woke up to the Simpsons cartoon show.
Guess I didn't miss much for the Kevin Harvick show.

Not so lucky on the power restoration. Still dark this morning. Map shows my street to still be under assessment with restoration estimate of tomorrow night.

Good morning. It's clear and 32.
We have a houseguest from Virginia Beach that was expecting to return home last Friday. It appears she has become a temporary refugee. The place she lives is supposed to call her when they get everything cleaned up, and services restored.

Good morning everyone. 50 and cloudy here in SW MO heading for 60 and sunny this afternoon. Time for coffee and a long john!! Two nights below freezing coming this week - hope that is winter's last gasp but I'm not holding my breath!!

Willie - sorry for the late comment, but that's real nice work on that salon.

Saturday was a gorgeous day here. Got some landscaping done, repaired or replaced a couple of downspouts, and got some winter debris picked up and ready to burn (if the winds ever die down). Unfortunately didn't get any moles this weekend. But have some info from the local university extension office about what products have a proven track record in killing or at least driving away moles. Will be buying those products this week and getting them out. I'll let you know bow good they work.

Even with all the outdoor work, somehow I was able to get a lot done in the train room, too. Putting down roads in the town - really, that poor town has been a ghost town so long that even the ghosts started looking for a new place to move to. :D Now I can start putting vehicles on the roads and people on the sidewalks. Also started work on the landscaping infrastructure on the layout extension. And started work on a new structure, a Cape Cod house. All in all a good weekend.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning fellers. I finally gave layout building a rest last night and ran some trains for awhile. I'm not used to being able to run my trains nice and slow around my entire layout without stalls. Man good trackwork pays off! I only have two loadout Spurs to add and that'll end my track laying for this layout. Then just add in my feeders. And on to scenery.

Justin

Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy. It's going to be a bit cooler tonight, but fair weather for at least ten days. Cooked a deep-fried turkey yesterday, sure was good. Borrowed the cooker from my daughter...didn't catch anything on fire. Trimmed firewood from the fallen tree limbs, almost done. I also spent a little time cleaning the paw prints and associated mud off the glass in the back door. The cats don't seem to understand that they are obstructing their view when they put their muddy paws on the door! Observation confirmed what I have suspected regarding boy cats versus girl cats among our adopted "drop-off" cats. Three boys, one girl and one yet to be determined that won't allow me to pick it up.
Thanks for the additional comments on the beauty salon, Sherrel, Chet and Johnny.
Out in the train shed, not a lot of activity yesterday, as I was involved in life! I did do a major cleanup of my first targeted (to be scenicked) area, about 4 ft², just outside the lower north staging yard. It's an easy area for starting since I already have the backdrop painted and most of the track ballasted. Included in this area is an interchange with the SLSF (Frisco) and an old Atlas switch tower kit. Removed the tower to the workbench so I can add figures, signs and interior lighting to it. This was one of the very first kits that I purchased and assembled back in the 80's. For the most part, towers were gone on the ATSF by my era but I like the structure.

Ken (D&J) - Best of luck with the power restoration. I do like your plan for dealing with it. I am real fortunate in my area, the power company contractor keeps all of the power lines clear of branches, matter of fact they're headed for our road later this month. We lose power during storms in the spring, due to tripped breakers, but it is nearly always back on in less than three hours.
Garry - That was some serious ice storm that you described. We've had some serious ones here (last week's was not a serious one), that trapped us in for three or more days. We're lucky though, our water company has always had generators at their pumping stations (one about 1.5 mi S), phone lines are all underground plus I heat with wood. I keep the propane tank full for cooking and kitchen heat if needed. As I posted to Ken, our power is rarely off for too long. I think that the guy that resets our line breaker lives close by and is affected whenever we are.
Greg (WI) - Best wishes on the eye surgery today.
Sherrel - Fire ants are a thing of the past in our area now. Local entomologists at UNT say that after the initial invasion in the 70's, several things worked against them, armadillos love to eat them, local red ants didn't like them and several very cold winters decimated them. Haven't had many since the mid-90's or so, there's still some though. I have a lot of red ants instead, their bites are more of a nuisance than anything.
Eric - Whenever Kevin finishes in the top ten, the Outback restaurants around here (and I assume other places as well) offer a free Blooming Onion on Mondays. Not necessarily enough to overcome their otherwise expensive menu. Seems like they offer it most Mondays during the NASCAR season.

Everybody have a great day and a great week ahead.

Willie

Good morning. 20 degrees to start off the day. Icy roads again wasn't fun. Never even got a chance to visit the train room yesterday. The BACON was fantastic this morning. Center cut, thick, smoked just right and delicious.

Ken D&J - Sure hope they can get your power up today.

Eric - You didn't miss much. Talk about a boring race.

Johnny
- Moles have to be one of the hardest pests to control. If you get any ideas, let me know. We've had a problem with them in the rear part of our property for years. Post some photos of your progress on the host town.

Justin - Looks like the extra work you pun in laying track paid off.

Greg - Hope the surgery goes well today.

Willie - No fire ants up here, but I can remember very well how bad they could be when we were living in Florida. Too cold for them up here.

Here's a rail photo to start the day off.

midnight_rider_train_tracks_above_embed.jpg

Later

Good morning y'all, 37° and sunny this morning.

All this talk about Bacon and Beef is making me hungry. it's been ages since I splurged on a Bloomin' Onion.

Need to get moving, this morning, catch y'all later.

Everyone - I've got a quick question. If any of you have used the Tichy Train Group ice station (either the 18" or 36" one), I need to know how wide it is (to see if I can fit it between two tracks in my freight yard). I've looked on MBKlein and the Tichy web site and they don't give the width, only the length (it's built in 6" sections so you can make it as long as you want - I don't have a problem with length but I need to know width).

Good morning .

Sherrel .... I hope your day goes well, and glad you took the train. I like the photo of the Pacific Electric interurban car.
Greg .... I hope the surgery is going well.
Justin ... Your new layout looks good, and I am glad to hear it is already performing well. You probably learned a lot from the previous layout, and so it was not a waste of time.
Ken D&J ... I hope the power comes back on...
Chet ... Thta's a good price for bacon. We have a local bacon producer that has won awards for its products. Good stuff, but not inexpensive.... I like your rail photo of the day.
Willie .... It is good to hear about your progress in the train shed yesterday. The interchange with Frisco sound interesting.
Johnny ... We have been doing outside work since returning from our trip like you are doing. ... Raining today, and maybe I can work on the layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back