Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Seems to do the same thing no matter what way I try to access a thread. I'll try a different browser, and see what happens.

Planning a trip up to Detroit this coming weekend. I'll leave right from work on Thursday afternoon and drive through the night. Should reach my brothers house at about 2am. That annoys him so much when I pound on his bedroom window. There's a bit of rain in the forecast and cold temps other wise I would ride the Harley. I'll leave there about 6pm Sunday and should be back early Monday morning. I like to drive at night. Less traffic.
I would stop in at Altoona to watch trains but every time I've been up there I've seen very little train activity, i.e. 1 or 2 trains in a 6 hour period, daytime, mid week. I really believe it's a branch line.

Joe - You are really dating yourself. Running both steam and the Acela ?
index.php

Actually, that never occurred to me until I answered Bob's query, last night.

Actually, that never occurred to me until I answered Bob's query, last night.

One day at the Mount Rainier Scenic, I was firing and one of the younger guys was running. We somehow got talking about the Freedom Train and I asked if he went to see it. He said "No, I didn't..." in a tone that implied it should have been obvious. I said "Well, why not?" He replied "I wasn't born yet!" I said and then "Good grief, I've been doing this stuff since before you were born!" He immediately replied "OK, Blackie!" Blackie was the name of our senior engineers, who'd been running since the days of steam and was probably 40 years older than me I'm guessing. I replied "Ouch!"

At the moment, he and I were talking about the Reading T1, the one used on the American Freedom Train. Known as the T-hog, she was a real brute, a massive 4-8-4. Great puller, but nothing out of the ordinary on that one. In fact, she was rebuilt from an earlier 2-8-0.

Their main claim to fame is surviving late into the steam era and then being used on the Reading Rambles excursion trains.

Chet and Bob: My first up close and personal experience with steam power was a Ride on the Reading, age 4 or so, they were still using steam power on their Main Line trains from Philadelphia to the Coal region. (G3sa?). However, the steam era was about done. When I became aware of the Reading Rambles, I tried to persuade my dad to take us on one, but he wasn't interested.

I was at Delaware Park, when the AFT made it's Inaugural appearance in Stanton, DE., (in 1975). For reasons unknown to me, the train arrived behind two freight GG1s, Delaware Park was wired, to accommodate the Race Trains. The train was pulledin as I recall, and yarded with a GP9. The GG1s sent back to Wilmington. The T1 was placed on display and everything was set. I was invited up into the cab to check it out., but the T1 was along for the ride. The next night, we came back, after the exhibition closed for the night, and towed the T1 to Wilmington Shop, where it needed to go on the drop table. Imagine, a live steam locomotive inside the "Electric locomotive Shop". Following night, we returned it to the park. After the exhibit finished it's run, we reassembled the train, and hauled it (2 GG1s) North to Philadelphia, where we gave the train to another crew to advance it to the next location.

The Run from Belmont to Aberdeen was one of the last exhibitions, possibly in September or October. Amtrak, had just taken over operation of the NEC from Conrail, and was receptive to a Steam run. Armed with an FRA waiver to run freight speed while not equipped with cab signal, it came down off the former Reading. Among dignitaries, on board, was Rollie Anders, System Road Foreman of the Reading Co., and Kenny Clark, the RF of E from Reading.

My last experience with a live T1, was one Saturday morning, in 1977. I was up early, and walking my dog, when I heard a B&O train blowing for the crossings east of my home. The distinctive sound of the whistle, told me to get trackside, just in time to witness the passing of the "Chessie Steam Special" resplendent in it's Chessie System colors.

Yes Bob. I remember it was blue, as part of the Red, White and Blue Bi-centennial theme. As I recall, the blue was closer to the Dark C&O blue.

BTW: I do not have a BLI PRR T1, in my collection, but I do have a Reading T-1, (in in service scheme). The PRR T1 was cooler looking, but the Reading T1 ran better. And, ten were leased to the PRR during 1955 and 1956, to alleviate a power shortage.

I recall when we toured the American Freedom Train in Detroit on July 4, 1975...... a year earlier than the actual bi-centenial ...

Last edited:
Good Morning all,

Another beautiful spring day in Northern Illinois. Going up close to 70 again for the third straight day. I think we have finally broken winters back!

Good Morning All. 60° and overcast. 90% chance of rain in the forecast, it's on the way but right now it's very light and widely scattered. It's about to hit Johnny in a big way. Wife had called a repairman to fix the dryer instead of using her "in-house" serviceman. Spent $175 and he was here and gone in 45 minutes. Yes, it was something that I could have fixed, but he had the needed part in the truck, and I would have had to order one and wait; while the dryer sat disassembled throughout the utility room and kitchen. Saving my labor for today when the new dishwasher is delivered. Get this. Home Depot will install it for free but you have to have all new hoses (incoming and drain) that they have to provide for $100! I paid $15 for a new incoming water hose for it less than three months ago, and I can install the new dishwasher in under 30 minutes.
Out in the train shed, I picked out the next area for scenery upgrading. It's just a small corner alongside an aisle that has partial coverage already. I picked this area of about 6" x 14" simply because an invasion of crickets ate some the paint off the surface of the hydrocal creek bank a few years ago and the white spots are really noticeable. Ongoing reminder to self not to leave train shed door open during cricket movement time in early May. There is already ground foam covering most of the area, I need to add bushes, trees, undergrowth and weeds to the scene. Additional detailing will be added to the dry creek itself, and I may even add some hobos if I can locate enough appropriate figures. This may require some surgery and sloppy painting of some Preiser figures. I do not have any specific hobo figures in my stockpile of either painted or unpainted.

Greg (WI) - Nice job on that City Coal & Ice background building.
Curt - Have fun at school and don't flirt with any of the younger teachers.
Ken (D&J) - Have a safe trip.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 54 and cloudy, hitting 60 and a washout of a day - that rain that's been over near Willie will hit here today - still pretty scattered and not expected to be heavy, but it will postpone my lawnmowing until the weekend. BTW, the weekend is looking very nice - best one yet this year.

Greg - Nice coal and ice building - looks very nicely done.
Ken- thank you for the price breakdown - I printed it off and will save it. It is somewhat expensive, but it sure would add to a layout's reality. I'll have to save up for that one.

The local library system here in Springfield (there are about 5 or 6 public libraries here) get together for a huge sale twice a year. The spring one just started, so we went there after work yesterday. We got lots of books for our granddaughters, and I always get a few books on WWII, US history, biographies, etc. Got these three railroad books for a total of $10:

2599302E-89BE-4C9E-B7D1-82C4776F3A6A.jpeg

Well, that's my first try at loading a photo on the redesigned forum. It's right-side-up in my photo library, but came out upside-down here. Don't know why.

Anyway, I've got some good reading ahead. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall when we toured the American Freedom Train in Detroit on July 4, 1975...... a year earlier than the actual bi-centenial ...

Garry: It was a two year exhibition, beginning in Delaware in early May 1975, before the Race Track opened on Memorial day, and finished in the Fall of 1976, around the time Amtrak took over the NEC.

Saving my labor for today when the new dishwasher is delivered. Get this. Home Depot will install it for free but you have to have all new hoses (incoming and drain) that they have to provide for $100! I paid $15 for a new incoming water hose for it less than three months ago, and I can install the new dishwasher in under 30 minutes.

Willie: Sears tried to pull that one on me when I last had to replace the DW. I declined their "generous" offer. I have an extended drain line, and don't want anyone to mess with my creative solutions.

It's raining here, as usual, and the heat is still on. Prediction calls for rain trough out the day. I did get the Rose bed weeded. and found some surprise Hostas coming up. They need to be moved, the bed needs more dirt and mulch, and Chip n Dale need to be evicted.

Have a great day.

Good morning .... It finally quit raining here. The electrician is back today working on installing power to the new dock.

Johnny .... Can you read the books upside down ? LOL

WIllie ... It was good to hear the vast with Sherrel and Kate went well.

Sherrel .... I hope your travel adventure is going well.

Ken D&J ..... Have a safe trip to Detroit. We almost had to make a quick trip there ourselves. ....

Everybody ...... Have a nice Wednesday.

Good Morning everyone....no trains today I'm certain since we're loading the truck for my opening trip to the cabin. The Mrs. packed enoght stuff to last the season! Time to turn on the water.

Everyone... Thanks for the comments on my back ground building. Again, a photograph really highlights any problems.

Curt: Once, I did some ballast repairs and accidentally covered one of the IR sensors on my crossing and It took a day or so of searching to find the problem. Forgot the old saying, "What was the last thing you did before the problem started".

Have to get busy...tow medical appointments this morning.

That's all for now.

Greg

###############

Good morning. 30 degrees with an expected high in the mid 60's.

The tree limb was removed from the driveway and the tree service did a really nice job of pruning the lowere limbs so it looks like a tree again. ALso had the hedges cut off to ground level so they can get a new start. I can't believe how quickly the yard went from brown to green. It will need some mowing in short order. I am going to head over to the tire shop and chande the tires from winter to all season and have a tube put in the tractor tire so it will be ready to mow.

When I check in on the forum, I just go to What's new.

Kern D&J
- Have a safe trio.

Sherrel - Where are you today? Sounds like you are enjoying the trip so far. Be safe.

Ken in MD - I have a few locations the would have more then one location from which trains are coming from. I think that is what kept me from putting in operating Crossing signals. 5 of them. Ka Ching $$$$$.

Here's a rail photo for this morning.

1d148888d4cc2d3d75264ba225cf9a34.jpg

Later

Dang CHET, I got dizzy looking at that "track" photo!

We are lost somewhere;s in the innards of Mi crooked back crooked back eye humped back humped back eye crooked back crooked back eye! Moving right along though!
Been just too tired at night to try and post ... Stop tonight a little east of Biringham ... trying tomake NC around noon Friday.
Most all of out "visits" will be on way back. Later - tooo rouggh tooo typpppe!

Afternoon All,

The school volunteering was canceled because MOH got called into her part time job. I finished putting down all the planks I had left and I have 14 rows to go (1.5 inches). I also made sure everything was square and both sides, and the under frame measured the same.

Ken- It amazes me what a real train can run on compared to our trains.

Sherrel- I hope you continue to have a safe and fun trip.

VA Ken- Have a safe trip, and if it was my brother I would pound on the window also.

Willie- I wouldn't flirt at the school. The teachers would tell Peggy and she would rat me out to Kathy.

Johnny- I wish our county library would do that, but nice haul.

Joe- We have some critters that dig in our front flower bed, but I don't know if it's squirrels, possums, or raccoons.

Greg- That sounds like something I would do also.:)

Chet- Interesting rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, taking a break.

Purchased a new printer yesterday to replace my failed unit. Unpacked the new printer and did the hook up to my computer via a USB cable. Then looked for the power cord, no luck. Called the vendor, very unfriendly and they told me to repack the printer and bring it back to the store. Just as I finished repacking, there was the power cord in the top, card board packing material, well hidden. Now unpack again and re-connect the printer.

Printer works after installing the software.

Forgot that my old printer had a 12 volt, 250mA power supply. Great for my model railroad lighting. The other bonus is a 15% reduction of the printer's price if I recycle it at the vendor and I also received a $20.00 Gift-card at the time of purchase.

Worked for a hour on my model railroad and made a stack of pipes out of straws. Need to paint the "pipes" grimy black when the glue dries.

Cleaned up the room and installed the LED lighting in the Atlas interlocking tower.

Out to dust off the dash and console of my truck. It's fueled and loaded for the trip tomorrow.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back