Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 53° and clear right now, going up to 82° later today. Supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow. The garden is looking good after Saturday's rain and the weeds haven't overtaken it yet. I did spend some time installing many of the tomato cages before the plants get too unmanageable. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" Well yesterday it was Sherrel and Kate Weems from the left coast, along with the doggies, on their cross-country adventure. Spent several hours with them, both in the train shed and at a local Italian restaurant. Wonderful to meet them in person. Sherrel is not the crusty old curmudgeon that we think he is!:) While they were more than welcome to park overnight in the driveway, they decided to use the remaining daylight to make a few more miles instead. Sorry everyone, I did not pick up the camera, but Kate might share some of the pictures that she took.
Earlier in the day out in the train shed, I did get a chance to add some more scenery materials to parts of the layout. Now that the benchwork is done, I have no excuse to not do more much needed scenery.

Greg - On my Atlas tower, I mounted the light in the ceiling. I ran the wires up in line with the chimney so they appear to be a continuation downward of the chimney (three foot rule).
I also have a collection of new ink cartridges that I can no longer use for the same reason. I think that printers are designed to fail when they detect a new cartridge, and I always purchase more than one whenever I need them.
Chet - Kinda looks like my yard after February's ice storm. Got more than a week's worth of firewood as a result.
Terry - I have not noticed that issue, but it may be happening. Are you using "What's New" or "New Posts" as your starting point? I'll have to pay attention when I log on later today.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Well, that was an interesting drive to work.
It looks like we had a wind event at some point during warly morning, and trees are down all over the place. One fell on a school bus, and as you can imagine, there were police, fire, and ambulances everywhere there. Many streets were closed, and quite a few multi-lane streets were down to one lane or less.

The segment was between Belmont, in Philadelphia, and Aberdeen on the Northeast Corridor. I was working as Road Foreman of Engines with Amtrak at the time. I actually took the throttle between Brill and Hook on the NEC. Ross Rowland, wasn't with the train, and I was offered a turn on the seat box. I felt like a fish out of water. I suppose, I was nervous about screwing up. Any way, I didn't enjoy it, like I thought I might. The Cab was crowded, with AFT crew, CR Pilots, and Amtrak and CR supervision. They actually had to issue a train order to allow more than 4 people in the cab. When I got off, at Aberdeen at the station, I was surprised just how dirty I was. Only later in life, did I realize I was one of few who ran not only steam, but also the Acela...
Ironically, the official who replaced me at the throttle, CR Regional Road Foreman W.B. Suhrie, was a veteran of the PRR T1 program, and was involved with the test trains.

Both the T-1 and the Acela? Yes, that is a pretty unique range of locomotives. I'm one of a small group that's run certain types of steamer in the modern era, but I've never run anything nearly as modern or as fast as the Acela!

OK, I wasn't on board for that segment, was wondering if you'd run it while I was working it. As for getting dirty, she was a true coal burner. Also, we would end up steam cleaning (literally) any tunnels we went through, with the exhaust blasting years worth of grime and dirt off the ceiling, as well as loose chunks of concrete, rocks, brick etc.

That's how I got to be part of the crew. I was willing to work hard, and spent much of the time cleaning and polishing the engine once we arrived. She'd look great when we left, only to get sootier and sootier as we ran, or, if there was a tunnel on an uphill grade, she'd get "weathered" quickly and heavily.

I recall one particularly bad run, I think it was coming out of Scranton, steep grades and tunnels. When we got to the next stop, I took to the engine with a bucket of Tide (I think they may have been a sponsor) and a scrub brush. Working my way down the boiler, I had a visitor ask "Why are you painting her blue?!?" I told him that I wasn't painting, just washing off the black soot and grime to reveal the engine's actual colors. For those not familiar with the scheme, we're not talking "Thomas the Tank Engine" blue, the engine was a dark blue, sort of Royal Blue, though I don't think it was a match for the B&O's blue of that name. Possibly a bit darker.

Good Morning everyone.....sunny and clear in Wisconsin.

Here's my last background building.

IMG_0326[1].JPG

Not the greatest of setting for a photo. The decals are most from another Walter's kit and the lamps are also Walter's Scene Master and operate. The building is sitting on my fancy spray table.

Greg

#############

Good morning. 26 degrees with clear skies to start off the day.

Johnny - That is green grass under the snow. We had temps up into the 70's over the weekend and the grass went from brown to green in 2 days. With all of the moisture, it will probably need mowing soon.

Greg - Nice looking background building. Sweet.

Willie - We had almost three inches of heavy wet snow which was almost slush. A bit more then the tree could handle. Just talked to the tree service a few minutes ago to see what they can do to make the tree look halfway decent being that the entire lower south side was on the ground,

Terry
- Nice to know I'm not the only one with tree problems

Bob and Joe
- I really liked the T-1, different than most steam locomotives. From what I ahve read about it, it was really quite advanced, but in the end, diesels won out. They didn't like slipping the drivers from what I could find out. Some blames the engineer and some blames the suspension. They were quite the sight to see barreling down the tracks.

Joe - You are really dating yourself. Running both steam and the Acela ?
Old.gif

Curt - I really like the decking. Nice work.

Here's a rail photo for today.

Uz0ISw.jpg

Later

Bob and Joe [/B]- I really liked the T-1, different than most steam locomotives.

At the moment, he and I were talking about the Reading T1, the one used on the American Freedom Train. Known as the T-hog, she was a real brute, a massive 4-8-4. Great puller, but nothing out of the ordinary on that one. In fact, she was rebuilt from an earlier 2-8-0.

Their main claim to fame is surviving late into the steam era and then being used on the Reading Rambles excursion trains.

Speaking of 4-8-4's.

CB&Q 5632 was dressed up in a party dress to celebrate the anniversary of Q's Chicago suburban commuter service.

35762335125_90edf173f1_b.jpg

Joe ... That you for commenting with your knowledge and insights on the PRR T1

Greg .... That is a very nice background building.

Johnny .... I'll pass on the B D greetings ... Thanks ..

Happy Model Railroading

Good morning. It's raining and 50.

I've noticed something different about this forum, hopefully it's just a setting somewhere I can change, but on the previous forum, when I clicked on a thread, it took me to the first unread post. Now, when I click on a thread, it takes me to the very last post, skipping all the ones in between. I have to go back and find the last one I read, and go from there.
Terry - I just logged on after five hours and first went to "New Posts", and then clicked on the "Coffee Shop" and it took me to the first unread post since my morning visit, not to the newest. I don't know about the settings, as all of mine just transferred over with the migration. I am going to try again later by going to "What's New" first to see if the results are the same.

Willie

There is a fine difference between the two, and it can be rather confusing. Let's see if I can explain.
If you are logged in (that bit's important). "New Posts" will show you posts that you have not read yet. It will take you to the first post you have not read yet.
"What's new" shows you recent activity, even threads that you've already read. It seems to take you to the most recent post at the end of the thread.
So, if you want to "pick up where you left off" New Posts will probably work best.
Personally, I use them both frequently, checking "New Posts" first, then clicking "What's New" and scanning that as well.

Ah, yes, the world's largest un-painted brass locomotive! ;)
Saw that thing crossing the Missiouri River leading into Kansas City while on my way to the old Municipal Airport.
I almost had a wreck rubbernecking!
Would have given a weeks pay for a picture of it sitting on that bridge; and that's about what it would have cost me as I would have missed my flight!
Wifr's not used to the humidity - hadto run the a/c today.
Willie - so glad we stopped by!
I hope the dogs did not upset you "tromping" thru the garden? You gottorealize that they have never seen a garden before!
Anyway, Kate and I enjoyed you and your wife's company, and that meal goes into the books as one to really remember.
What a hoot that the owner was from the same California city as my wife - except he was smart and left town. LOL
Terry - my coputer goes to the first unread - just as before! Watch out - Murphy may be in your computer?
Everyone - Great stories, photos, and all. Will try and put up some pics that wife made tonight when we stop.
It's nice to see greenery again and the doggies love it too!

Willie - so glad we stopped by!
I hope the dogs did not upset you "tromping" thru the garden? You gottorealize that they have never seen a garden before!
Anyway, Kate and I enjoyed you and your wife's company, and that meal goes into the books as one to really remember.
What a hoot that the owner was from the same California city as my wife - except he was smart and left town. LOL
Sherrel - No discernible damage from the dogs. They didn't dig anything up...must not be vegans. I always plant extra anyway, for critters, Mother Nature or insects. Again, my wife and I enjoyed you and Kate's company very much and I wish that we had been able to spend more time together. But I know that you were running a bit behind schedule already when you arrived. Must be the California time zone thing!!!o_O
Continue to have a safe trip eastward. Look out Garry, they're on the way although I don't know if you're on the eastbound or the return schedule.

Willie

Good morning. It's raining and 50.

I've noticed something different about this forum, hopefully it's just a setting somewhere I can change, but on the previous forum, when I clicked on a thread, it took me to the first unread post. Now, when I click on a thread, it takes me to the very last post, skipping all the ones in between. I have to go back and find the last one I read, and go from there.
Terry - This time around I logged on and went to "What's New", then went to the Coffee Shop and it took me to the newest post instead of my last unread post. So that seems to be the key...for me anyway. Go to "New Posts".

Willie

Reactions: bob
Afternoon All,

Late getting up this morning because of poor sleep which seems to becoming the norm. Spent about 90 minutes laying planks. I'm up to 20 inches out of 22. I have some planks left but not enough to finish the project. Tomorrow I will be at the school inventorying library books (thanks Kathy) and this weekend we have the boys both days but not overnight.

Willie- Sounds like it was a fun time.

Greg- Great looking structure.

Garry- Interesting looking loco.

Joe- It sounds like you had a very interesting professional life.

Ken- I feel your pain. I have IR sensors on my signals. When I was initially calibrating them my son adjusted the dashpots while I moved rail cars over them (what a pain). Don't forget bright light effects how they work. I had to adjust some lighting so that they would work properly. The logic boards I use are from Logic Rail Technologies.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Yes, as I mentioned, there's a subtle difference, but they do work differently. Otherwise I'd have deleted one of them by now.

I always go straight to “ New Posts” when I log in. I prefer to see what has been added since my last visit.

Reactions: bob
Ken (in MD) - was wondering how much it cost you to put in that crossing system - the flash module, crossbucks, and detection system.
Johnny, here is the breakdown:

NJ International #1191 Over-the-Road Crossing Signal:.................................. $65* x 2 = $130
Dallee Electronics #367 Grade Crossing Flash Controller.......................................................... 25
Azatrax MRD6X 6-Channel IR Detector w/ crossing signal trigger output......................... 60

TOTAL ..........................................................................................................................................................$215

* MB Klein price

Walthers also has an over-the-road crossing signal for $24 (MBKlein price), not as expensive since it is mostly plastic instead of brass like the NJI's. I prefer the NJI's because they are closer to 1:87 scale size compared to the Walthers [which is a tad large IMHO], plus all my other signals are NJI so I wanted to keep things consistent.

Also, my detection module cost is above-average because I need to detect trains coming from 3 separate directions, and some of them are very short (i.e., loco only). A standard main line detection system [without as many sensors] would be closer to ~$45.

Hope this helps...:)

P.S. I ordered the flasher unit and detection module directly from their manufacturers

And that is the most efficient way to do that, so you've got it figured out quite well.

Thanks, it’s the most efficient way to check forums,especially when dealing with multiple-forums and it’s a no-brainer. I’ve been using New Post or similar in most of the forums for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back