Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 47°. Looks like .92" in the rain gauge from yesterday. That will make things grow around here. One of our cats pissed me off Friday night by sleeping in a large flower pot on the back porch that I had just transplanted some Basil seedlings into, crushing them. As a payback, I was trimming a pork shoulder yesterday morning and I placed some of the trimmed fat into their food bowl out in the pouring rain. Wet cats look funny and are a lot skinnier! Not sure if he got the connection though.
Out in the train shed yesterday, as part of my ongoing maintenance, I cleaned and dusted around 30 freight cars. Checked coupler height and action to assure smooth operation. I also started to add some ground foam to some virgin plywood in a continuous quest to complete more scenery. I also disassembled a pair of close to 1:87 Matchbox vehicles for repair and repaint. They were included in a bulk purchase of over 250 vehicles from a fellow forum member who was getting out of model railroading a few years ago. From the factory, they are decorated as custom hod rods but I don't really need as many as I got.

Joe - The weathered coal hopper looks real good. That "thaw house burn" is something that I had never seen or heard of before, I don't really see many coal hoppers in Texas anyway. Most power plants here are oil or natural gas fired plants.
Terry - I'm surprised that someone else hasn't come by and picked some of the appliances up for themselves. In Dallas, the city does that regularly and in my brothers neighborhood, it all gets out to the curb on Saturday. On Sunday there is an army of pickup trucks and trailers scouring the streets and by Monday all that's left is the real junk.

I wonder where David (Trussrod) is? Haven't heard from him lately.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good Morning everyone....sunny and seasonal again today....more snow melting weather. Need to snow to melt to get into the cabin next Thursday.

Heading to the train room...finishing the Atlas tower today and cleaning up the work bench. Maybe do a little ballasting. Ballasting a spur track on a cork sheet so its fast and easy to spread the ballast. Using just fine black ballast. Poorly maintained track.

For inspiration, I usually take a look at George Sellios' book and the photographs of his layout. Always find something new. Amazing work.

That's all for now....

Greg

########

Good morning ....

Willie ...... I also wonder about David Trussrod ....... and I wonder about David LASM ....Hope they are okay. Would like to see them back here.

Bob .... Thanks for your thoughts..... I'm thinking of adding some photos to the gallery again. I can do it using the regular digital camera and saving them in the computer.

Joe ..... You asked about PRR ..... Before starting this layout I did have some Pennsy and I did ran it on the early portion of my current layout. ..... I had a Bowser T1 that was a basket case when I bought it .... I rebuilt it and referred to an article in a PRR models group publication to help with that as well as detailing it with a Bowser detail kit. .... I had a Hobbytown E7AB and a Hobbytown PA1 which were detailed and painted for PRR. ... These photos show the T1. The E7AB is in the background in one of the pictures. Passenger cars were old kit-built cars with wood and metal parts. ... Since then, I have sold all of them .

26754638077_7f5bb532f9_b.jpg

26754660527_0a004291cf_b.jpg

Here is a photo of a PRR train and a CB&Q train arriving in Chicago at the same time.

36408299780_54a8f18d39_b.jpg

Uploading directly from phone image.

Check out all of the dust... err I mean get a load of this fancy custom weathering job!

DADD2824-B50E-4C93-9B98-A856272328D2.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, I've increased the image file size to 10 MB., the new server can handle bigger files.

This should allow you to upload images directly from your cell phone.

Please give that a try and let me know if it's working for you.

Bob .... Thanks for your thoughts..... I'm thinking of adding some photos to the gallery again. I can do it using the regular digital camera and saving them in the computer.

On a related note, I've increased the file size significantly. This should now allow you (and everyone else) to upload directly from your cell phone. Please give that a try and see if it works.

This is a pic of a Model I got on Friday, the pic is posted straight off of my iPad camera roll.

4E095FCD-8438-4269-8428-3E9F811C591F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pic of a Model I got on Friday, the pic is posted straight off of my iPad camera roll.

YES! (Bob does a small happy dance...) That's exactly what I was hoping for. The goal it to make it as easy as possible upload images. No need to download and resize and mess with them. Looks like the new system can do that for us. Cool!

Oh, and nice looking loco too, great addition to your fleet.

But Wait!!! ...... Attention Administrator!
I thought the extra size in MB, due to cost factors, was what you were trying to advoid????

Good morning everyone

Nice spring day today! going up to the mid 60s Been in the basement this morning starting bench work. Don't imagine I will get to far, as I keep getting interrupted with things the wife, and daughter find for me to solve. The plus is that the project is finally started. I will post photos later if I get something done photo-worthy.

ADD2A33A-B3DF-446D-9E9A-5C2C5A7FEA3D.jpeg

Did something change Bob? It wouldn’t let me post this picture to the cafe Friday. Said file was to large. works like a charm now from a cell phone photo.

good morning. 50 degrees to start off the day. Got up to 75 yesterday. Maybe spring is here. The glacier along side the driveway where the snow was plowed up is finally gone.

Bob - I haven't had any problems at all posting photos since the overhaul. Well done.

Ken in MD - I do not envy your task of going underneath the layout. I will probably be doing that myself this afternoon to get some of the Woodland Scenic lights hooked up.

Joe - Nice hopper. I only have a few running on my layout mainly to supply coal to the engine facility. No coal hauling otherwise.

Garry - There are times when a double crossover is the easiest and best solution. Nice photos. The T-1 was a locomotive that I always liked, but was not very successful for the Pennsy. I have seen so many videos of it running and slipping the drivers.

Greg - Sounds like you are making headway on the kitchen renovation. When you mentioned the new refrigerator, it brougnt back memories of when they delivered out new one. We got a side by side with the lower freezer drawer and it was a major PIA to get it into the house. A standard entry door is 36" wide and the refrigerator was 38" wide. We had to disassemble a lot of it to just get it in the house.

Sherrel - Enjoy you trip. Can't wait for us to hit the road this summer. No idea where we're going yot, but we'll be heading that way. For me, the best part of California are the roads out. A few years ago when we went to Reno, the wife wanted to see Lake Tahoe so we took the interstate to Truckee and then down to the lake, but quickly retreated to the Nevada side of the lake.

Not much work got done in the train room yesterday. Got the locomotives and rolling stock together that I will try to sell at the train show in Livingston next week. I do plan on trying to get some of the lighting working this afternoon. Went over to the club in Licingston last night for the first time in months. We had a lot of bowling tournaments going over the winter and every weekend I had a chance to head over to the club, the weather was crappy. It's a 50 mile drive to get to Livingston and I dislike going over that pass at night on icy roads.

It's going top be a busy weekend over there next week. They were glad to see me because it will be busy over there with the train show. The layout will be open to the public starting at 9 AM nd they do want to have as many trains running as they can. The club also has a table at the swap meet and will have someone over there and rotate at hour intervals for someone to man the table.

It wa snice to get over there andrun for a while. Here are a few photos. We don't care what era trains you run. Here is a meet of theold and the new.

20180421_201604.jpg

The BNSF train is pulling a 52 car coal train. The next shot is for Greg. I know he likes ore trains. Here is an ore train in the Livingston yard behind a DMIR Yellowstone. Hard to get the whole train in the photo.

20180421_204408.jpg

I as usual just run a single locomotive with about 10 cars as that is about the limit of the RS-1 on the grades.

20180421_202846.jpg

One last shot of some Northern Pacific power.

20180421_202400.jpg

Time to gather up the W/S LED goodies and figure out how to get it hooked up on the layout.

Later.

View attachment 25775
Did something change Bob? It wouldn’t let me post this picture to the cafe Friday. Said file was to large. works like a charm now from a cell phone photo.

Yes, something did change. We can now accept images up to 10 MB in size (just one of the benefits of this fancy new server...)

That means you should be able to post photos directly from your phone without problems.

But Wait!!! ...... Attention Administrator!
I thought the extra size in MB, due to cost factors, was what you were trying to advoid????

Edited to add: The 10 MB is before the forum downsizes the photos. I've got it set to shrink them down to 1600 max in either direction. That will typically result in an image a couple hundred KB or so once the photo is re-sized. There's certainly no reason to have them be 10 MB permanently, but this change lets you upload a cell phone photo and the forum will shrink it rather than you having to do it.

It was on the old server, it only had 2 TB of bandwidth per month. The new one has 15 TB. I'm going to keep an eye on things, and we can modify if needed. However, with that much bandwidth, along with the forum compressing the images down to 1600 pixels wide, I think it will work fine.

Also, I need to consider user experience first and foremost. If you have to download the photo from your phone first, or e-mail it to yourself, or edit it in photos, you're more likely to say "Nah, not worth the trouble..." The goal is to have you say "I want to upload this photo I just took...", create a post and then just be able click upload and be done. Simple, easy, "frictionless". The easier it is to do, the more members will do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back